“Enjoyed but could do better! ”

Treacys Hotel Waterford
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
“Enjoyed but could do better! ”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We did a super valu 3 night mid week break. Grandparents, Mum and 2 ten yr olds. Centrally located. Personable staff located my parents beside a lift. Breakfast was a bit of a drama. Self service as with most 3 star hotels but would much prefer waitered tea/coffee/toast. By the time we got sorted for breakfast most of it was cold! However my girls got fantastic boiled eggs!! Great location. In our room u had to kneel on floor to use hair dryer the cord was so short! Awkward shower/bath taps. Sign in bathroom directing you to phone if u forgot anything but they had no toothbrush when I phoned. Good value we were on a budget and I suppose it comes back to the old saying you get what you pay for! ! Btw I availed of the spa treatment of the month 50 euro. Head shoulder neck and back massage plus a taster facial. They used elemis products. My therapist was Amanda and it was far and above any massage I have ever had. My neck had been in knots for years and Amanda got me clicking again. So U will definitely be back. I hope this is helpful I am new to trip advisor. X

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela C
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

I must apologise for the issues you experienced but thank you for bringing them to our attention. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding our breakfast set-up to my relevant colleagues for consideration.

I'm thrilled you had such a relaxing and memorable massage in Spirit Beauty Spa. We have some of the best therapists available and strive to make a soothing and relaxing atmosphere in our spa.

Once again, thank you for your review. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team, especially Amanda. I do hope we will be seeing you in the not too distant future.

Sales and Marketing Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Today I have returned from a coach party visit to Treacy's. This is a hotel where you will certainly receive a warm welcome from a lady who just can't do enough for you.. Marion.
She truly wants each and everyone to enjoy every minute you spend with them.

Infact all the staff work so, so hard to please their visitors, nothing is too much trouble, and this
as we all know can we pretty tricky to deal with sometimes !

At the start of your day the selection of food for breakfast really is absolutely great. If you enjoy
a light breakfast there is plenty to choose from. If you are a person who enjoys a hearty cooked
breakfast I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

The evening meals were basic home cooking, you will be offered a choice for the three courses.

Bedrooms are bathrooms are clean. Beds are comfortable. Great to see that there are a good supply of tea and coffee in the rooms, always welcome first thing in the morning.

I feel this hotel is great value for money. We as a group all were pleased with our stay at Treacy's.

Thank you to all the Treacy's team..... Marion is a "Star".

From visitors in 109 August 1l / 15

Room Tip: If you would like a room looking onto river 107. 108, 109 that's on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff. We are lucky to have such an exceptional team working with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast you had with us. We serve a buffet style continental breakfast which includes cereals, fresh fruit, a choice of yogurts, fruit juices and a selection of breads and cheeses. We also serve a full Irish breakfast.

I'm delighted your room was to your liking. Here at Treacy’s we have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guests’ requirements and taste. Specific rooms can be requested but are subject to availability.

Once again, thank you for such an amazing review. It will be my pleasure to pass on your lovely comments to the rest of the team especially Marian. I do hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in July. The hotel is old and dated. It needs a good revamp. I know there are newer rooms at the back but I couldn't get one when I booked. The rooms are very small but they are clean and have all the usuals you find in most hotels. There was a Debs Ball on the night we stayed, so it was a noisy night. Not the hotels fault, and the owner did apoligise about it at breakfast. The breakfast room was ok and the food was average. Parking is a bit tricky as the carpark for the hotel is a 5 minute walk away through 'shifty' looking streets. The staff were courteuos and friendly. Would I come back?, not sure, maybe if I got one of the newer rooms and the front got a revamp.

Room Tip: Try and get a larger room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dougal59
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the hotel. Our hotel is currently undergoing renovations and improvements and we do have major refurbishments planned in the coming months once our peak season is over.

I’m sorry that you could not book one of our newer rooms. As you stated, our rooms located in Block B are more modern than our classic rooms and as a result tend to sell more quickly.

As a city centre hotel we are proud to offer our guests free car parking facilities. Our car park is located 2 blocks directly behind the hotel and is monitored at all times by CCTV. I can assure you we have never had any incidents either in the car park or the area surrounding the hotel. However there is a public car park located directly across the road from the hotel if that is more suitable.

Once again, thank you for your review. I do hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacy's Hotel, Waterford soon.

Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

From start to finish our experience at Treacy's hotel was a complete disaster. Perhaps we should have studied the reviews here more closely beforehand. As other reviewers have stated, the hotel itself is a disorganised maze of old narrow corridors with tacky misleading signs. We were actually presented with a MAP to show us the direction of our room! Our sole enjoyment was encountering other lost, bewildered looking guests on our travels. A gps might be of better assistance to guests! The room itself was well below average, even for a three star establishment. It was tiny and noisy despite requesting a quiet room when booking and at check in. As is usual at breakfast we showed our room keys/number and stated our names to the staff member at the entrance to the restaurant. She could not locate our details on her list. We were left standing while she constantly repeated 'no, it's not here on the list'. Eventually another employee came over and said that there had been a mix up because they were missing a page of room numbers! One would expect better organisational skills in any hotel, particularly given the array of hotels available in Waterford city. In order to catch up on sleep due to noise, we placed the hotel 'do not disturb' sign outside our bedroom door. You can imagine our shock when a cleaning lady abruptly entered our room. Obviously the sign meant that we did not require room service. There would appear to be poor communication between management and staff as other issues also arose with errors in relation to our package. We found the manager himself extremely rude and obnoxious. He certainly did not capture the welcoming ethos suggested by their 'family run' hotel. Avoid this hotel at all costs. There are other more organised and pleasant options in closer proximity to the city centre.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank s c
Maria K, Sales & Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm extremely disappointed to read of your experience in the hotel.

I'm sorry you found the hotel layout confusing and disorganised. Our hotel is extensively signposted in order to assist our guests in locating the room. I do not see how these signs are 'tacky' as they are standard signs used in most hotels. I have also checked each sign personally and they are all correct. Unfortunately the construction and layout of the hotel cannot be altered as it is listed as a building of historical value. I'm sure you will agree this is beyond the hotels control.

In relation to a map, upon arrival guests are presented with a welcome letter detailing hotel facilities, breakfast times etc and the hotel layout is on the back of this. Perhaps you mistook this for a map?

I must apologise for the mix-up during breakfast and with housekeeping. I can assure you these incidents are highly unusual and I have spoken to the relevant departments to ensure it does not happen again.

I'm shocked you would find any member of our staff especially a manager to be rude. As you will see from other reviews, our hotel is well know for having an exceptional team dedicated to excellent customer service. Following your review, I have spoken to each of our managers including the General Manager and our duty managers. However not one has any recollection of speaking with you nor is there any record with our reception team of any complaints made from you?

We would always encourage any guest to contact reception immediately should they encounter any issues during their stay.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your review further. I have included my email address for this purpose.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Michelle O'Halloran
Sales and Marketing Executive
sales@thwaterford.com

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

i stayed in treacys hotel in july of this year.have to say we had another great few days.it never lets us down in any aspect.we had stayed hre in april of this year and had really enjoyed.to our surprise when we went this time they had put a big sorf play area at the back of the bar.i never saw my kids as soon as they left natasha in the kids club it was straight to the play area .this was great for us as we were able to enjoy a few drinks at nite cause the kids were happy.i would highly recommend this hotel for families its just brillant.will be back soon hopefully

Room Tip: rooms in block b better
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales & Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to hear that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us.

I’m so glad that you were able to enjoy the atmosphere in our bar, Timbertoes, which serves bar food daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. We do indeed have a newly opened play area for children and it has proven to be very popular with our young guests. Our complimentary play area includes a ball pit, pool table and arcade games as well as other fun activities.

Our complimentary Kids Club includes morning and evening activities. Our ‘Movie Night’ is an optional extra which costs €5.00. I’m delighted your kids had a great time playing.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I do hope we will be welcoming you and your family back to Treacy's Hotel, Waterford very soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived the day after my birthday and I happened to mention it to reception when I checked in and they thoughtfully sent a card and chocolates to the room a couple of hours later. Really friendly staff. Nice little swimming pool and steam room etc. Would recommend. Good value for money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a memorable birthday with us.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff. We are extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated team working with us.

Our Spirit Leisure Centre is complimentary for all our guests and I’m glad you had the opportunity to avail of this service during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I do hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacy's Hotel Waterford in the near future.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My self the hubby and our 6year old and some of our friends(party of 7 adults and 5 kids in total) stayed in Tracey's hotel this weekend....we had a ball. when we arrived we were met with a smile and even though the reception area was really busy we were looked after straight away by a lovely girl called Sharon, the customer service manager, Marion couldn't do enough for us and showed us around the hotel and gave us some brilliant info on Waterford. The bar is huge with a FANTASTIC soft play area at the back which kept the kids amused when adults were chatting and having a bite to eat.there was also a free kids club with plenty of activities for the kids to do we were busy so my son only went twice , he did some make and doo on the first time which lasted an hour and then went to the movie evening where he watched nut job and had popcorn and a soft drin(this cost 5 euro) The bar food menu was great and food was lovely, equally the buffet breakfast was tasty too fruit salad cereal's brown and the usual full Irish fry. on the second night we ate in the Thai restaurant Chang Mai, the food was authentic Thai and very tasty, also my husband told staff it was my birthday and they all came out with candles in my desert and sang happy birthday to me! then Marion the customer services manager gave me a birthday card and a box of thorntons chocs!! I couldn't believe it considering this was my first visit to the hotel. The rooms were spacious and spotless, the pool was huge my only criticism would be that there was no kids pool. over all I would recommend a stay at this family orientated warm welcoming hotel !

Room Tip: If you have any mobility problems ring reception and let them know before you arrive as there are so...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our staff. Every staff member including service staff, reception, housekeeping, kitchen and all the staff working behind the scenes work extremely hard to ensure our guests experience is nothing but exceptional!

I’m so glad that you were able to enjoy the food and the atmosphere in our bar, Timbertoes, which serves bar food daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. We do indeed have a newly opened play area for children and it has proven to be very popular with our young guests. Our complimentary play area includes a ball pit, pool table and arcade games as well as other fun activities.

Our Spirit Leisure centre with 20m swimming pool is complimentary for our guests. Thank you for your feedback regarding a kid’s pool. I will be sure to bring this to our General Manager’s attention for consideration.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your birthday dinner in our Thai restaurant Chang Mai and that we were able to make it a special and memorable celebration for you.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I look forward to passing on your lovely comments to the rest of the team especially Sharon and Marian. We look forward to welcoming you back to Treacy’s Hotel Waterford very soon.