“Good food in not a great location”

Athenaeum House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Ireland
“Good food in not a great location”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Great food with a nice country house feel. The Hotel is located in Christendom which is about a ten minute drive from the city centre. You pass what looks like a huge grain silo which appears bizarre against the backdrop of the attractive city centre waterfront.The lunch menu was good value. Worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear DB4545

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Thank you for recommending our lunch menu. The buildings that you passed on the North Quay’s while on route to us, are part of Waterford’s heritage as a port city. The North Quay is earmarked by the city for development but I am not sure of the time frame.

Kind regards

Director Athenaeum House Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Myself, husband and 3 month old baby stayed at this beautiful hotel for one night on a 5 week holiday around Britian and Ireland. We found this hotel on laterooms.com and saw the room rates had been drastically discounted and decided to give it a go.
The only downside to this hotel is the sat nav in our car had absolutely no idea where it was, we ended up going into a chinese restaurant who made home deliveries and asking for directions! Even then the chinese restaurant wasn't entirely sure where the hotel was but gave us a general idea of the area the hotel was in and we eventually found signage pointing us in the right direction.
The hotel itself is a boutique hotel in a quiet area on the outskirts of Waterford. We were greeted warmly at reception and explained the layout of the hotel before been given the keys to our room and shown to the lift.
Our room was tastefully decorated with a large comfy bed. Large windows overlooked a vast garden. The bathroom was clean with nice amenties.
We decided to have dinner in the restaurant that night. The large french doors and windows make the most of the beautiful garden views and makes the whole restaurant very light and airy. Each table was adorned with beautiful cutlery, linen and glassware. Although dinner was on the pricey side, it was definetly worth it. Dinner was divine. The bar was well stocked with a good wine list. The waitstaff were very friendly and attentive, remembering the brand of rum my husband was drinking and suggesting a similar brand when the hotel ran out of my husband's first choice.
Breakfast the following morning was at the same high standard as dinner the night before had been.
I cannot fault this hotel at all. Beautiful hotel in a beautiful location and highly reccomend to everyone!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SG_Sutherland
Dear SG_Sutherland

Thank you for your very kind review posted on tripadvisor. I am very pleased to note that you and your husband had an enjoyable stay with us with your baby during your memorable 5 week holiday around Britian and Ireland.

I will pass on your kind comments regarding our food, service and amenities to our team. I will also see what I can do regarding the sat-nav co-ordinates, as I know they are set in my sat nav.

We looking forward to welcoming you to the Athenaeum House Hotel in the future.

Best regards

Mailo Power
Director Athenaeum House Hotel.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Fantastic hotel found it through my partners sat nav warm and friendly greeting from Stan the owner. Nice bedroom and very clean.The food in the restaurant was amazing and of a high standard. While I was there I had a bad cough and Stan picked up on it and offered me a hot lemon and honey drink which was so kind of him. Breakfast was first class and the service was equally the same,it is a family run business and it deserves my comments so people can share my experience at the Athenaeum House Hotel.

Room Tip: Leave it to Stan I am sure that he will offer you one of his nice rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Susie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and for your kind comments. Good to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I hope your cough has improved. I will pass on your thanks to my husband Stan, he is a great believer in the healing qualities of a hot lemon and honey drink, he has also been know to include hot whiskey and cloves.

Best regards

Director Athenaeum House Hotel
Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This is a top rate hotel at reasonable price rates. Family run with great attention to detail. Staff are well able to cope with large parties, however there are several areas for secluded relaxation.

This hotel is frequented by well known personalities from the political and show-business sectors, famous both nationally and internationally.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Waterford
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Nice quiet location - a 5 minute drive to Waterford.
Fantastic customer service - very friendly receptionist and servers.
Spacious bed and good-sized bathroom,
Great additional extras- slippers, bathrobes, free WiFi.
Very reasonably priced restaurant considering the menus available.
Recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2012

You can experience Country Class within 5 minutes of Waterford City Center by staying in Athenaeum House Hotel. Treat yourself to terrific food in a wonderful setting at unbelievable prices. Parking is available at the hotel. If you want to relax this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kenbarry1
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Having read recent reviews for this hotel my husband and I decided to have a weekend break there for my birthday. We arrived at five in the evening to check in to be told our room was'nt ready due to the amount of late check outs. We left our luggage and went off to have a snack. On our return we were put into room 103, a dark and extremely cold room. The heating had been turned off even though it was eight degrees outside. The room never really heated up. Eventually the next day we asked, twice, to have the heating looked at. 'We will have that boosted for you now'. This didnt happen. After the second time we asked for the heating to be looked at A small and very noisy blow heater was dropped into us. The bathroom showed signs of mould around the bath with cracked tiled areas. Also the extractor fan in the bathroom didnt work properly so it took ages for the steam to evaporate off the mirror. I did open the window but as the radiator in the bathroom didnt heat properly it meant that leaving the window open made our room even colder. It was actually much warmer in the hallwAy than it was in our room.

The dining room and reception areas were nicely decorated and warm. The breakfast on the first morning was like being in a carry on film. The waitress, who was extremely attentive, must have apologised about five or six times to an elderly lady who must have waited nearly a half hour for some soda bread. The guests at the next table were also left waiting a long time for their food, which when it came out was wrong. We waited a considerable time for our breakfast but it was tasty when we got it.

I am loathe to make any criticisms unless I feel they are necessary. However this hotel considering itself to be four star is wrong in my opinion. Although the staff were friendly it didnt make up for the problems we encountered. It certainly didnt seem to be a priority for our heating to be fixed and having to ask twice wasnt very pleasant as our first request had been ignored. In fairness this hotel could be really lovely but it is let down by lack of attention to detail and simple requests from its patrons.

Stayed November 2012