All reviewszaks restaurantwaterford cityacross the riverlovely hotellarge roomminute driveevening mealfull irishsaturday nightvisiting waterfordcar parkstanirelandsuirtelevision
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in April on a family break, all looked good until we got to our room. Grubby sheek to say the least. The arm chair was filthy and was fit for the skip, the tv was the smallest I've ever seen and the screen on my smart phone was almost bigger, the water bottles in the table were drank by someone else, we complained about the room and was told they were all the same unless I paid to upgrade to a suite I did so and to be honest it wasn't too good and far from what you'd expect from a suite, the tiles were lose in the bathroom and ready to fall off. I know this is a Country House hotel but cleanliness and keeping on top of things is not beyond expectations of any guests, we had a grumpy foreign barman with no people skills. The cheap plastic sofas in the lounge area were just that cheap and not what one would expect in a country house, aside from that the food was fantastic but again the manager was answering the hotel phone while he was serving customers which was really annoying. To be honest I would not be in a rush to go back which is a shame as the potential is amazing.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ISpy23
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My husband and I, along with his elderly parents received a very warm welcome at the Athenaeum House Hotel in Waterford. We spent three nights at the hotel - returning for a second time because we had such a lovely time last year. The MD and staff provide a warm welcome and spend time chatting and providing information about the area. They ensure any requests you have are dealt with straight away and you feel that you are a valued customer. The rooms, on the third floor were spacious, comfortable and elegantly furnished. They had a sitting area to sit and read or watch TV whilst looking out over the pretty grounds, the river and the town of Waterford.
This year, we ate dinner in the restaurant every evening and enjoyed everything we ate. The Table d'hote was good value with three courses and coffee included. Whils I don't usually eat desserts, the Cholcolate pot dessert was amazing and I endned up having it every night! The venison off the a la cart menu was also delicious. Breakfast good with a choice of continental style or cooked and there was plenety to set you up for the day.
We hired a car as we flew into Dublin from Southend ( a fantastic airport to travel from) and this enabled us to drive around the lovely coastline, visiting small towns and villages dotted around the coast. We went to Tramore Races on the outskirts of Waterford, and soaked up the atmosphere of an Irish Race meeting.(Literally soaked up as it poured with rain!)
The four days we spent at the Athenaeum House Hotel were a relaxing and welcome break and we will certainly return.

Room Tip: We had rooms 420 and 421 and these overlooked the gardens and the river. Tjat Table'dhote menue is good.
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Thank you to you and all your staff, for making our stay so comfortable and memorable at your lovely hotel.

The evening meal in Zak's was amazing, as were the breakfasts.

The Hotel is really well situated for Waterford and there are some other interesting places to visit nearby.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

My wife and I had an amazing meal here after visiting some of Waterford's highlight sights (the new Museum of Treasures and the Waterford Crystal gallery are well worth visiting). The chef is exceptionally talented and turns locally sourced, organic ingredients (we had amazing beef and fish main courses after very creative and tasty starters) into memorable meals. If you can manage to sit close to the windows, you will enjoy one of the best panoramic views of Waterford city and the river Suir - what more could you ask for?

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here on mon 8th April. Good room with v large comfortable king bed. Dinner was superb -have choice of a la carte or table d'hôte for 25 euros. Food could not be faulted. Hotel was very quiet and peaceful when we visited. Situated a short drive over the river from city centre with good views. Staff all courteous and friendly. No sign of being overrun with children as per a previous poster - but even then don't blame the hotel, blame the parents! A lovely hotel.