“good food ,dreadfull hotel”

Athenaeum House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Tralee, Ireland
“good food ,dreadfull hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently.The toilet in the room was not flushing and I brought this to the attention of the receptionist who allocated the room to me.He said that he was aware of the problem and that it would be fixed on Monday but I had booked in for Friday night only.I infomed him that this was not good enough and he then allocated another room. I cannot understand why he gave me the room in the first place when he knew there was a problem especially given the fact that another room was available.In the second room we could not get RTE reception.I asked the receptionist if this matter could be rectified and he said "there is nothing I can do about it we just don't have reception for some stations in some rooms".The TV is 15 inch screen the likes of which I have never seen in a hotel anywhere in the world.The mattress was dreadfull.The only redeeming feature in this hotel was the excellent quality of food in the restaurant where we had dinner and breakfast.Finally they send me an email asking for my comments and I responded similar to this review.What a waste of time as they never bothered to respond.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a lovely hotel, just lovely! I didn't have a car in Ireland, but it's a short taxi ride from the bus station. I will admit the restaurant is a bit expensive (for a student anyways) but it was delectable!

Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JessicaLee2990
Offaly
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over Easter for two nights with one meal. Hotel looks good and the welcome was very warm and efficient. Bar looks good and small restaurant opens up out onto a lovely grade, which on sunny day was fab!
Room looked good, but simple things cost the quality - mattress of bed was worst one I have ever slept in, windows didn't open properly, toilet didn't flush properly without massive effort, small amount of toilet tissue ran out and tiles in bathroom were lifted off. So rooms were not of good standard.

However breakfast was really good and the staff (although there were only two) were ever so helpful and efficient. Main attraction was dinner, it was absolutely superb, in terms of quality and service. If I were to go again, I would only go for the food, however if rooms were improved with simple housekeeping and quality, this could be a really good hotel. I really hope they do.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OffalyPk1973
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014

What a beautiful townhouse the staff are amazing and the food is exceptional! I would return in a heartbeat! The grounds are lovely and the the area is snugged away in a quiet location. Perfect for a get away!

Room Tip: Do not book online better deals just walking in.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Mailo P, Owner at Athenaeum House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Gus R

Thank you so much for your super review.

Love your description, might have to borrow it for our next brochure. I will pass on your lovely compliments to our team.

Look forward to welcoming you back next visit,

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my Mum visited Athenaeum House Hotel for a nights stay as a birthday treat for my Mum. The staff were excellent throughout our stay and made my Mum feel extra special on her birthday. We dined in Zak's restaurant in the evening and again the staff were wonderful and the food was delicious. Breakfast the next morning was superb and the waiting staff were very attentive and were very friendly. I would highly recommend the hotel for that personal touch that is not in a lot of the bigger hotels :) thanks again Athenaeum House, we will be back.

Stayed April 2014
Hi there

Thank you so much for your great review.

It was an absolute pleasure looking after you and your Mum, delighted that she enjoyed her birthday celebration with us. I will pass on your lovely comments to our team.

We look forward to your return visit, regards to your Mum,

Best wishes

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Took a 3 night break away with my husband and our new baby for our first family stay-cation! Couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough! This hotel is just on the outskirts of the town and is only a 20 min walk in. We took the buggy I and out of the town everyday and enjoyed it immensely!
The staff were wonderful, the food was beautiful and our room (a suite was really so nice).
We had an absolutely fabulous breakaway and have to say what prompted me most to write this review was reading the negative ones- my advice : do not let the negative reviews sway you in any way! For us who are well used to holidaying in gorgeous places- this ticked all the boxes!
We will be back every time to stay here when visiting Waterford City!

Stayed March 2014
Dear Aoife O

Thank you so much for your lovely review, glad you enjoyed your very first staycation with your baby.

It was an absolute pleasure looking after you , delighted that you had a good time.

We look forward to your return visit.

Best regards

Higham, Suffolk, UK
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Warning - don't trust your SATNAV; obtain local directions and look for the signs. The hotel is not in central Waterford.
We needed a last minute room in Waterford for a family of four, and this hotel was great! We booked two Executive Single rooms with breakfast. Each room easily fits 3 people. The extensive cook to order breakfast was well worth the value for a family of four (€30).
We inquired about local attractions; the dining room staff was extremely helpful and informative. Highly recommend.

Stayed April 2014
Thank Thomas - Genevi... H
Dear Thomas-Genevi

Delighted you enjoyed your visit with us, glad you found us.

Thank you for your lovely review.

Kind regards