“Perfect place to stay”

Athenaeum House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently stayed here and the staff could not do enough for us, from arranging a Taxi and making sure that my husband was ok as he was unwell upon our arrival sorry forgot the name (phillpino gentleman) we came in late one night and he kindly made us a sandwich out of ours, along with Michelle in the dining room at Breakfast made us very welcome. The breakfast was delicious. The receptionists were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The room we had was lovely but next time we will ask for the back of the hotel, as someone at 11pm emptied a load of bottles into a bin making one hell of noise and the bin men arriving on the Monday was noisy but this cannot be helped.

Room Tip: We had room 425 at the front of the hotel, best to ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely quaint hotel. It is quiet, friendly, comfortable and is run by a very friendly family. It has an award winning restaurant offering top class food at good value prices. I have stayed there multiple times on business and I look forward to having a leisure break there. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for paddys day last year. Great place... thorougly enjoyed it. The food was out of this world. Highly recommend thid hotel.... have been trying to go back since but just been too busy.... hopefully soon

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

As part of a group I had lunch at the Zak's restaurant in the Hotel and while the meal itself was ok the Menu was deceptive in its pricing and having order the Catch of the Day from the menu with the only price in this section showing 12.50 euro, I assumed I would be charged this sum. However, I was charged 17 euro at the till and upon querying this I was told that the Catch of the Day is priced on the day. No where was this explained on the menu. I would consider this false advertising and has coloured my opinion regarding any proposed return visit. The cost of the Fish dish was not the issue, it was the deceptive manner in which it was offered on the menu.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I found the hotel on booking.com, got a good deal for one night during our Ireland trip. The service is very nice and the breakfast is pretty good. we ordered the full English breakfast, of course the owner corrected us straight away that it's "Irish breakfast" ! rooms are clean, good value stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank May Q
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel. Check in was painless and personal. The rooms are well laid out with nice views. The food is superb. This chef is a genius and I tasted combinations I would never be brave enough to usually order. Once again the set meal has excellent choices with each course blowing your taste buds apart. The service here is friendly and chatty and your custom is valued and this is lacking in a lot of hotels I visit. Breakfast is as expected top class with excellent service. This is my favourite place to stay right now. This hotel deserves your booking and truly appreciates it. I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently.The toilet in the room was not flushing and I brought this to the attention of the receptionist who allocated the room to me.He said that he was aware of the problem and that it would be fixed on Monday but I had booked in for Friday night only.I infomed him that this was not good enough and he then allocated another room. I cannot understand why he gave me the room in the first place when he knew there was a problem especially given the fact that another room was available.In the second room we could not get RTE reception.I asked the receptionist if this matter could be rectified and he said "there is nothing I can do about it we just don't have reception for some stations in some rooms".The TV is 15 inch screen the likes of which I have never seen in a hotel anywhere in the world.The mattress was dreadfull.The only redeeming feature in this hotel was the excellent quality of food in the restaurant where we had dinner and breakfast.Finally they send me an email asking for my comments and I responded similar to this review.What a waste of time as they never bothered to respond.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple