“It does what a Ramada does”

Viking Hotel Waterford
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Stayed here in August. I found the hotel well run. It's staff friendly. The rooms are basic enough but clean. Hated the tv though. Breakfast is a buffet & fills you up with the usual menus. Won't complain as I only stayed one night. Not sure if I'd stay longer as it's a bit far out of the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Eoghan D, General Manager at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Dear franfield68, thank you for your comments. I'm glad you found the Hotel to be great value and well managed. Hoping you will visit Waterford again soon, maybe for the Winterval festival. Regards Eoghan

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed here December 2011 i think and got a great dealt was 30 euro for the room for the nIght, most places would be 30per person sothis was good..
The food in the bar was like most pub grub does the job, I found there was one woman who didn't really like going out of her way for the customer she seemed very snappy and slammed my plate down, and when I said she'd got my Order wrong, she was very un pleasant.. Saying this there was other waitresses and waiters and they were so lovely !!
The room was nice and everything as most hotel rooms, nothing to fancy either.
The location of this hotel is a bit far from the city like don't stay if your going Down for the night life because it's far off and you'll pay for it Ina taxi..
Also they didn't have a gymor pool but I'll mark them as average to be fair..
But I would recommend this hotel to anyone if they brought that deal back into place because they've since took it away !

Room Tip: We got a room facing the car park and that was fine I know the motor way is arou d it some side I wo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Eoghan D, General Manager at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Hi Joggaboo92

Thank you for taking the time out to post your review, I’m glad that you enjoyed the great value and keep an eye out for those fabulous rates, they’ll be back soon !!

Reviewed 18 September 2012

we stayed one night. The room was basic, bed was uncomfortable, we had an air conditioning unit outside our window that screeched constantly, no sleep and a headache. We had afternoon tea in the restaurant on arrival, cups, milk jug, tea pot everything was filthy dirty, it was disgusting. Next morning went to have our breakfast which was included in the price, very unorganized, one girl working on a Sunday morning in a hotel. again even the tea pots had encrusted dirt on them, food was pretty bad and not much of a selection but we didnt eat much anyway because it was so dirty.
Will never recommend or stay there again, needs a complete change of cleaning staff to say the least.
On checkout the girl on reception asked how was our stay we said terrible as we were exhausted because we got no sleep she said sorry and walked away !!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Michellemcl

Hi Michellemcl
I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay, we at the Ramada Viking Hotel never like hearing when a guest doesn’t enjoy their stay. So if you don’t mind would you please contact me directly as I would like to discuss your stay with you.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights. On arrival there was a mix up with a lady's room she went to reception to get her room changed and she was made wait 15 mins to be seen meanwhile her young kids were very upset and unsettled. When we arrived to our room it wasn't great, there was only one pillow each (sounds petty i know), on the second night I went down to ask for more as we both had sore necks from sleeping very low the previous night, we had to wait two hours for the porter to bring them up, if you wanted to use the leisure suite you had travel to another hotel which was a 10 minute drive away... breakfast was over priced for the quality of it, we have both stayed in a lot of hotels and this one was by far the worse..

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel at all
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Molly E

Hi Molly E
Thank you for your feedback, mix-ups unfortunately happen in hotels but we try to minimise them to best of our ability. We would have been delight to drop the pillows up to the room on the night of your arrival if you had let us know. We provide free use of the leisure centre in our sister hotel as an added bonus to our guests. We get a lot of outside business for breakfast every morning, so much so that I have been asked to open earlier this week to facilitate those going to the ploughing championship.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

When we arrived in Waterford last month, we had a very hard time finding somewhere to stay because a bike race was in town and all the B&B's /hotels were booked for miles around. We ended up at this hotel at 9:30 at night with our infant. They had no crib (cot) for the baby, so she had to sleep on the floor. I would expect a Ramada to have a crib. There was no restaurant or room service open when we arrived at 9:30, so we did not eat dinner. We do not smoke, but were placed in a smoking room (or it smelled like smoke, anyway). Our room must have been right above a bar, because we heard loud music all night. It did not seem particularly clean. No breakfast was included.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Eoghan D, General Manager at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear KAF32082
I’m very sorry that your experience of Waterford was so unfortunate; your Travel agent should have advised you to check out availability especially weekends in the month of August.
On this particular night we only had a two rooms left to sell (only due to a late cancellation), which were both smoking rooms right above the Bar.
We do inform guests on check-in of the music playing the Bar and that it finishes at 24.00.
We do have Cots but all were in use on this particular night.
It is unfortunate that you didn’t get to experience what most of guests get to experience, we did try to facilitate your party as best we could.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Clean and functional. Pricing very competitive.
Personal attention from staff excellent especially the Reception Team very friendly and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
Restaurant functional but not particularly clean. Food quality passable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Eoghan D, General Manager at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear Dekeob

I’m delight you found the Hotel to be of excellent value. I'm always delight to hear that our staff are friendly and do go “the extra mile”.
I was disappointed to hear that you found the Restaurant functional but not particularly clean. We have strict hygiene standards so the only thing I can think of is that you experience the restaurant at the end of a very business breakfast.

Hope you will return to visit again shortly!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here last Thursday night 16th August for Business so it was a quick stopover....had food in the bar which was good but the service was very slow - I had to call the girl over to take my order. The room was spacious......two single beds but soooo comfortable! Receptionist very friendly and helpful. All in all would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Eoghan D, General Manager at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Sonny Southeast

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I was sorry to hear that you found the service slow as we do try to give excellent service. I will certainly look into it with the Manager on duty.

Hoping you will visit again soon!