“A local Gem”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Kilkenny
“A local Gem”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am a local person who has reason to visit Waterford City quite regularly on business. When I am out for the day I like to eat out as well. This however can be problematic at times.
I have to confess that I find The Viking Hotel ticks just about every box for me.
Parking in the heart of the city is just not an option any more, due to the cost of it, and the congestion involved. The Viking Hotel has got it all wrapped up; and with Free Parking as well.
You can park beside the front, or back door, and I have found the food and service is just excellent.
It is a warm, friendly place with a lovely buzz about it; while it is ideally a very corporate looking hotel I have found all the staff to be very helpful and dutiful.
The Carvery lunch is reasonable but yet extensive, and the desserts are worth the visit alone.
I rarely comment on hostelries, but I felt that this beautifully appointed and comfortable, and unassuming hotel is excellent value for money, and in a wonderful location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Aideen123_13, Director of Sales at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Judy F,
thank you for taking the time to review your visits to the Viking Hotel Waterford. I'm glad to hear that you find the level of service and food has remained consistently high on each of your visits. I will pass your comments onto my colleagues in the food and beverage department.
We hope that you will continue to enjoy your visits to the Viking Hotel Waterford.
Viking Hotel Waterford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Mallow, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My three friends and I stayed in the Viking a few weeks ago. We were there for two nights and what a pleasant surprise the hotel was. The rooms were a good size and were absolutely spotless. The food was excellent and the staff would give any hotel a run for their money in terms of customer service and friendliness. They were extremely helpful, had great suggestions for things to do locally and were generally a pleasure to deal with. A major plus was the free parking; too often on city breaks you have to pay for parking but the Viking had ample free parking just outside the door. We had a great few days in the Viking and look forward to going back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear John Z57052Z,
thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Viking Hotel. I'm glad you found the rooms so clean and that you enjoyed the food so much during your stay. As you said, the free car parking outside the door is definitely a major advantage when visiting any location.
I have passed your positive comments regarding the staff's helpfulness to all the departments concerned.
We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had a most enjoyable stay at the Viking recently, staying the nights of 13 to 17 October.
Very comfortable accommodation, friendly staff and good food.
Louise in reception and Donna in the restuarant contributed in no small way with their cheerful "can-do" attitude.
I apologise for this late acknowledgement. due to my busy schedule.
Gerald Clifford
gpclifford@iol.ie

Room Tip: Rooms quieter away from the front
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gpclifford
Dear GPClifford
thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Viking Hotel Waterford. We really appreciate hearing that our friendly and helpful colleagues have helped to make your stay so comfortable. We try to go that little bit further in customer care.
I have passed your compliments to all concerned. We hope to welcome you back again to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Myself and my husband were on holiday from Australia visiting family. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we forgot our jetlag. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful no request was to much for them. We will stay again next trip and would recommend the Viking to all our friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Aideen123_13, Director of Sales at Viking Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Nuala S,
thank you for choosing the Viking Hotel Waterford as the place to stay on your recent trip to Ireland. Thank you also for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I have passed your compliments to the team here at the hotel, it's always lovely to get receive such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit home.
Munster
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My two friends and I stayed in the Viking a couple of weeks ago. We wanted somewhere inexpensive to stay but somewhere that had all the comforts we like. We were delighted with the hotel; all the staff from the receptionist through to the staff in the bar and in housekeeping were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. We ate in the bar twice and the food was just lovely. It seems we weren't the only one who thought so, as it was very busy for food on both occassions. A lot of locals eat in the hotel which is always a good sign. Our room was large, really comfortable and there was free parking just outside; a major bonus. For a few friends who wanted a couple of nights away that wouldn't break the bank, the Viking was just perfect. We were near the city and got some great advice from the hotel staff on places to visit in the city, Tramore and Dunmore East. We had the best few days so thanks to all in the Viking a lovely relaxing stay. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MyThoughtsAre
Dear MyThoughtsAre,
thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Viking Hotel Waterford. It's good to hear that you found the team here so friendly and service orientated. Thank you for eating in the hotel several times during your stay, and for the compliments on the food. We pride ourselves on being good value for money.
The location of the hotel, close to the ring roads, the motorway exits and yet just minutes from the city centre, is certainly a major advantage. Plus all the free car parking, right outside the door.
Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel very soon
Dublin
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My wife is normally the one to review places we have stayed but on this occassion i wanted to express our sincere thanks to all concerned at the hotel. Both my wife and I stayed the bank holiday weekend and enjoyed our visit to Waterford immensely. From the moment we arrived at the hotel to the morning we left the service was second to none. We ate in the bar one evening and the food was delicious, well presented and plentiful. Our room was bright, spacious and very clean only drawback was that it overlooked a car park however this wasn't a big issue. The hotel was busy as you would expect for a bank holiday weekend but the staff still made time to chat and interact with us which really impressed. A big thank you to Ciaran at reception for the warm welcome and looking after us during our stay and pointing us in the right direction for local attractions and all the bar staff for being so attentive. We hope to be back with our grandson over the festive season to enjoy the winterville festival and will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Profguy2013,
thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Viking Hotel Waterford. It's good to hear that you were looked after during your stay and that you enjoyed your meal in the bar. I have passed your compliments to the staff, including Kieran at the front desk.
We look forward to seeing you back for Winterval, with your grandson. It's a great festival and big and small children love the atmosphere. There are more attractions added this year, and I personally can't wait to go on the horse drawn sleigh.
Thanks again for your kind comments
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I am originally from West Waterford but now living in Wexford and I travel back home at regular intervals. Having small children in the car means that a pit stop is a must.

I recently wandered into The Viking Hotel for a quick stop and I was immediately sold. This is an extremely accessible hotel just adjacent to the junction of the N25 & M9. There is a huge parking area both at the front and back, and FREE, which is a real bonus in Waterford City.
We were greeted by a lovely friendly young girl in a very smart uniform, who was putting up the Lunch Menu in a notice Board in the Foyer of the Hotel.

She listed main courses and desserts and before she had finished recalling the Desserts; my 2 children were dragging me towards the Bar/Restaurant. It was a beautifully presented: Carvery which was manned by the Head Chef who greeted everyone as they arrived. The food was delicious, served very hot, and the tray was taken to my table by a very obliging waitress.

My experience in this Hotel was exceptional, and I will return as they get the basic and simple things so right – customer focus.

I loved it all – they have the complete package.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear FDPOB,
thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Viking Hotel Waterford. You have summed up what we are all about at the Viking Hotel, accessible, loads of car parking, good food and good service.
Thank you again for stopping by and for your kind comments. I hope we will see you back at the hotel on your next visit to Waterford.