“Nice hotel, handy spot in Waterford”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel, handy spot in Waterford”
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My husband and I stayed here on the 31st of December, drove up from Dublin. It looks like a new hotel, easy to find- too bad we couldnt park in the hotel parking lot as it was full, reception could have been friendlier.
Bar very nice, ok staff. They ignore you until you actually wave at them for attention.
Hotel restaurant "Dish" outstanding food, rude asian waitress that almost bit our head off when we went in the next morning to sit down for breakfast.
All in all i would go back as the rooms were lovely, clean and new but for this to be a top class hotel the staff needs to be told to be a bit nicer.

• Liked — Room/Food/Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ItalianinDublin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
wicklow
Reviewed 19 December 2007

Was not sure what to expect when I booked this Hotel for a weekend. The minute I walked in through the door of the hotel I knew I had nothing to worry about. From the minute we walked in to the minute we left we were treated excellently. Staff were both friendly and helpful. The rooms were top class and the whole hotel was spotless at all times. Food was also great and very well priced

• Liked — Friendly staff and clean rooms
  • Disliked — Car park was a little tight for room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank 2red
Dublin
Reviewed 22 November 2007

I have stayed in the fitzwilton before with my Girlfriend back in feb of this year. So we decided to vist it again after the lovely time we had the first time.
First visit:
Food was great
Nice staff
great rooms
Lovely hotel

Second Visit;
Staff were rude
food was not nice what so ever
Rooms were great
Lovely hotel

When we were checking in the lady(seemed to be Scottish) at the front desk would not even look at me while speaking to me I gave her my name and she took the details and handed me the room key without telling what room or floor we were on.
Went to the bar to have some food and after our first vist I thought it would have been great I was mistaken. I ordered the steak and it came out with in 4-5mins I was quite shocked and said to my girlfriend wow that was super quick, as we ate I found the steak to be dry and cold in the centre and it seemed to be cooked early on and just pan fried to quickly heat it up.

On leaving the same girl was at the front desk I told her the room number that we were checking out from and she said ok........That was it no receipt no thank you nothing.
Why ruin a great hotel with staff and food like that Im sad to say I WONT be staying again for the 3rd time due to the food and staff.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Jonnytraveldude

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Surrey, England
Reviewed 9 November 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and were very pleased with the room. It was clean and the decor was modern. We had an excellent buffet style breakfast the next morning and I would consider this hotel as good value for money. It is a short walk from the main shopping area and suited us perfectly. The staff were polite and helpful.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank AceyFace
Cork
Reviewed 2 November 2007

Very good value for money. Clean, friendly but a small bit out of the way. Comfortable bed, nice tv, nice shower, good food.

p.s. don't usually write reviews but I honestly felt I got good value here.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank madcork
Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 October 2007

It was my third time to stay at The Fitzwilton this year. All three times were for an extended stay. It just seems to get better each time. I have always found the staff to be ever so friendly and enjoyed to see them on a "staff night" out. That says much for the management team's approach to harnessing a good working environment which in turn moves on to the Customer.

The hotel is clean, warm and relatively quiet. Great for someone who is on the road working. The rooms have all the basic amenities. The beds are comfortable and the linen is clean and in good shape.

The restauraunt is inviting with great art and mood lightine. The food is delicious, prepared well and too your liking, and served greciously and professionally by the staff. The bar may also boast delightful food and a good atmosphere. Bar staff too are helpful and quite friendly. Breakfast is buffet style and prepared as well as ready as advertised. Hot or cold food is available again catered by professional staff.

As the hotel advertises, free WiFi. You can't beat that. Never once had a problem with it and I was using it most of the time while at the hotel.

Check-in and check-out was fast and easy with a recap of the bill facilitated by the reception desk staff.

All in all a reccommended stay for the business traveler, couples and for some fun in Waterford. Located just a quick walk from the train station and several restauraunts.

Special thanks to all of the staff (especially Bala) at The Fitzwilton for the hospitality, great Customer Service and making my stay a home away from home.

• Liked — The staff, location, the bar and restauraunt
  • Disliked — Having to get up each morning.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank MrTony07
Wicklow Ireland
Reviewed 30 October 2007

In order to break up the journey from Co Wicklow to Cork we decided to treat ourselves to an evening in Waterford.

Good: location is easy to find, the rooms well appointed and provided reasonable value (compared to others in the Irish hotel industry)

Bad: the front desk person was rude (young Scottish lady) appeared to suspicious when we remarked that the initial room that we checked into smelled of cigarette smoke (No smoking is allowed in any hotel room) - she informed us that since the hotel was fully booked for the evening, we would need to stay put or find another hotel to stay in. No other remedy was initially offered (I have personnally worked in the hotel industry for many years and would always accomodate a guest on swiching a room). She then proceeded to investigate who had previously held the room so that she could follow up with a fine....FINALLY the manager came out and overheard the conversation and promptly moved us to another room. The last comment that the young woman made was that even though we were being moved "the room is the same size as the previous" Wow.....the nerve/cheek
Although DG hotels can't be responsible for the sad state of Waterford, I was surprised at the lack of security in the evening.
Carpark was a disaster and did not provide nearly enough parking for even 1/2 of its guests.
We will bypass Waterford in the future.

• Liked — Location for Business traveller
  • Disliked — Carpark facility and lack of security
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple