“Four star-I don't think so!”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Galway, Ireland
“Four star-I don't think so!”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This hotel advertises as a 4 star hotel. It is definitely not at this level.
Rooms are average 3 star (duvets under cover were dirty)-windows were dirty but it didn't matter because the view was of the building opposite. The heat was on full blast and was uncomfortably warm. We had booked a deal that included dinner-the menu for this deal was pathetic, really pathetic. So we ended up spending an additional €35 and if we had realised this would have gone to a restaurant with good quality food. Breakfast was uninteresting and served with incompetent surliness. Overall, I would say, why the hell is this advertised as 4 star??? if advertised as 2/3 star then I'd have known what to expect. Disappointing beyond belief and definitely destroyed a romantic getaway.

1 Thank TrishaGalway_Ireland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I specifically chose the hotel for onsite parking and had checked the website before booking to ensure there was same. On arrival, it became clear that onsite parking was extremely limited with most of the spaces being reserved. When I asked the receptionist about this she was very rude and offhand (as I had interrupted her chat ) - I was told I could park on the street but I'd need to be up before 8.30 to put a ticket on my car! I was also told I'd need to be in the hotel before 4 if I wanted parking....so much for a relaxing break with no time schedules!!When I said about 'free parking not limited parking' being mentioned on the website - I was told that it was clear on the website - which it certainly is not.

Moving on, things did not get any better - room was basic and bath very small not as advertised and far from being luxurious. The tv was also a let down being a very small basic tv and not the newer plasma screen as promised.

Dinner was also a big let down. It took a long time to order and when I did order - it was forgotten. Meal was basic and not what would be expected from a 4 star hotel. Staff were inattentive and failure to clear tables left people sitting with their empty places in front of them for periods of 30/40 minutes.

Overall, very disappointing and would certainly not recommend to anyone heading to Waterford. Their website leads to high expectations - maybe a more realistic view of what is on offer would mean a clearer view of what to expect.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ireland76Ireland

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Nice hotel, clean room, could not access car park, it was full, parked on the nearby quay @ é5 per day. Hotel is near to the quay, so access to the city centre is easy, about 10 minute walk. Limited choice on the dinner menu, special deal menu, but quite nice. Service was mixed.

1 Thank Vincent B
Limerick
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Good: Hotel is very near all the shops & sights in Waterford city, easy to locate & rooms are a good size & very clean. Food in the Metz Bar is excellent & better value all round than the Restaurant. Staff are friendly & helpful. Rooms are dark great for sleeping.
The Bad : Car park is Really Really Small & if you do manage to get a place to park - keep it!!
Main restaurant - service was slow we had to wait 45mins for our dessert!
Breakfast was buffet style & hot food was only luke warm,had to que for toast machine & often ran out of food at breakfast & some not replaced, disappointing overall with a very small range for a 4star.
Bad lighting in room, no overhead lighting to do make-up etc..
The Hotel is used a LOT by young 20 somethings who arrive back late at night to have a party in their rooms - banging on doors etc.. didn't get a wink of sleep either night. I know this isn't the Hotels fault yet it put a massive dampner on our stay.
Do the tour at Waterford Crystal well worth it,,,, Thai restaurant Sabia near W.crystal is amazing... try it out. We had an excellent deal for this Hotel so overall we forgave it lots.. glad we went but won't be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators
Dublin
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We'd been given a present of a two-night break at this hotel with one dinner and bed and breakfast. The hotel is on a busy main road which is clearly an arterial route through Waterford every morning . . . We checked in, noticed that the hotel has no lounge area and felt disappointed by that but there is a large and lively bar with full-blast television. We were told that our inclusive meal would be served either in the bar between 6 and 8, or in the restaurant at the same time as long as we booked . . .as the restaurant was empty we chose the bar. Food was tolerable but not great as pub grub goes: and then we went to pay for our drinks to be told that they wanted us to pay extra for this very indifferent meal, because we hadn't presented our "meal voucher" before ordering our food! When we asked what sort of food would have been served if we had presented the voucher first, we were told that it would have been the same, but seeing as we had got the order of voucher first, order next wrong ( despite never having been told that the hotel would impose this amazingly daft rule), we couldn't avail of the inclusive meal. We asked for the staff member to discuss this with his manager and explained that we would be happy just to pay for the drinks. The staff member went off, ostensibly to speak to his manager, and three other couples approached us, telling us that it was a scam that the hotel was playing with their "two-night-break" deal. We felt appalled to have been humiliated in this way, but the matter was settled as we explained that we had no intention of paying for that meal.
The bedroom was shabby but comfortable and quite large. Not deserving of four stars though. Then, nightmare of nightmares, a busy main road which kept trafficky until the wee small hours and then roared with traffic from about 6 am. . . ruining any hope of a lie-in. Breakfast was good: great Irish fried breakfast food, but nothing else. The dining room is understaffed. Very pleasant waiting staff, run off their feet. The management did change our room swiftly when requested and we had a much better night's sleep the following night.
If you ever do end up staying here, INSIST on a room at the back of the hotel. ps they are a completely no smoking hotel and you can't actually open the windows!!!!!!

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the back of the hotel or be prepared for zero sleep on a busy main road with con...
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had a very bad experience at this hotel from the time we got their until the time we left ! Stayed 2nts b&b an 1 evening meal, myself my husband & 2 children ! Firstly the smell of must caused by the dampness in the room & that was also visible & was disgusting ,when we complained and asked for the manager to come an see it she told us that she could smell it but did not think that the visible stains on the carpet an cracks and bubbling in the ceiling was caused by the dampness . I explained my husband an son were asthmatic & it was not good for their health, but we were told their was no other family room available 4 us until the next afternoon. We were offered a smaller room but that would not have been suitable for us as their were 2 adults & 2 children ! We were left with no option but to sleep in the room with the windows open 4 the night , as a result the noise of the traffic and the streets clientele was so bad we all had little or no sleep 4 the night , which then resulted in our plans for the next day cut short as the kids were to tired to enjoy the activities we had planned for them . Secondly we had booked our dinner for 7.30 pm in the restaurant we orderd our food and by 8.30 pm we still had not received our food. by now we were looking at other people who had come into the restaurant after us and receive their food before us !! Which was very frustrating for all 4 of us ! We were told their was a mix up with the food an ours would be out shortly but by 9 pm still no food so we ended up leaving the hotel restaurant disgusted ! Lastly the following morning at breakfast I picked up a glass 4 some orange juice an it was filthy dirty an when I looked at the rest of the glasses on the tray to my shock they were all filthy dirty I showed the waiter an he was shocked too an said he was sorry an did no know how that tray of glasses were so dirty they must not have been washed properly an he would replace them straight away ! I could not eat the breakfast after that ! We went straight to our room an packed our bags and could not wait to check out and leave the hotel .upon checking out the receptionist just took our key from us checked us out without a word spoken to us and turned and started dealing with the couple next to us ! I felt she was so rude !I had arranged to meet the manager upon checking out but I was so upset I just left the hotel . I am so unhappy an disgusted about the whole experience after taking a 2 an a half hour journey to this hotel an looking forward to the break as a family and it was just a total disaster!!!!! I will be going further about this as we did not get what we paid for and it is no way near a 4 star hotel !!! I have the photos to prove this review and I intend to use them if needed !!!

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank 1234sue
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Hi Sue,

Thank you for your post and letter also, with which I understand, my colleague has been in direct contact with you. I have spoken with the Manager that dealt with you and it seems that the leak in fact came from the room above. A twin room was offered (double & single bed) and I know you felt this would not be roomy enough for your family. As you mentoin the hotel was fully booked, however I admit, you should not have been allocated this room as this damage which occured the night before should have been noted and the room put off. I am dissappointed also to hear about the delay in your food being served which I will address immediatley.
I apologise foR the mishaps you experienced during your stay and that you left us dissapponited and tired after your visit. This I assure you is in no way how we intend our guests to feel when they leave. May I thank you once more for taking the time to wirte your review to us and once more my sincere apologies to you and your family on behalf of the Fitzwilton Hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Geoff Dawson
Sales & Marketing Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Myself and my husband stayed at the Fitzwilton on Feb 10th. On arrival we were told our room wasnt ready at about 4 o clock. We went into the bar and eventually at around 5-30 we were told it was ready. We went to our room and decided to make a cuppa, there was dirty tea bags in the teapot which was a right turnoff . Needless to say we didnt have any tea. The plug was stuck in the bathroom sink and the sink was filling up with water. The chap that was down in the bar came up to the room and had clean t/pot and some milk, then proceeded to try and release the plu g in the bathroom. Dinner on Saturday night was gross unless we were prepared to pay 18 Euros each extra to upgrade as we only had three choices. Not even a table cloth on the table, Breakfast was cold both mornings.Never again.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 319. Very noisy on 3rd floor.
1 Thank berniemc53
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Hi Bernie,

I am sorry to read about your recent visit. I would greatly appreciate the opportuntiy to speak with you regarding the tea pot as we do not have tea pots in our rooms? I am very sorry to see you did not enjoy your meal also. We did not have any other food complaints on the evening in question and I am surprised to read you were so unsatisfied. As mentioned, please feel free to contact me regarding your stay and I will be happy to discuss further.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Kind Regards,