“Nothing Special, but okay hotel”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed one night last month, I am surprized it's a 4 star to be fair it warrants 3, we did get a good deal, considering it's a city based hotel, €99 for two sharing including breakfast. Biggest gripe was the carpark, full to the brim by 3.30pm, despite the fact that check in is at 3pm! So I wondered who else is using this carpark? Took my chances by street parking and paid a metre until the evening time. So don't rely on the carpark. Room was fine, breakfast was fine, although staff were under fierce pressure to an almost full breakfast room, and this led to small annoyances like waiting for bread to toast, waiting for buffet to be restocked etc.. hotel is situated amidst high rise buildings from most angles surrounded by busy streets. If I were staying in Waterford again I don't think I would choose this hotel, even though €99 was good value, I would pay a little bit extra elsewhere for peace of mind on the car front - this was my 1st time booking into a hotel shortly after check in time and finding it's carpark full. Lovely staff at this hotel, unfortunately it's not enough to entice me back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Sorry to see the car park was full on your arrival. We do have free on-site parking which is rare city centre hotels, however it is subject to availability and can become full during busy periods. We do offer guests the alternative of paying €5.00 for 24 hour car parking on the Quay (2 minutes walk from the hotel). I am delighted you got to avail of one of our very good offers and also that you found all our staff lovely which I will be only too happy to relate to them.

Kind Regards,

Geoff Dawson
Sales & Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 28 February 2012

This hotel is not up to 4 star standard,but it is a good clean hotel,my wife and i stayed here mid week on a Groupon deal and unlike a previous reviewer, We did not in anyway feel we were treated any different because of it,without doubt the menu choice with groupon is very limited,Breakfast was ok,but this area did seemed to be under staffed,wasn't happy that the hotel restaurant was closed on both nights we were there,this must be a sign of the times but it should be on the web site.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

my girlfriend booked the pent house for my 30th for 2nights. we paid 110 for a citydeal voucher with 2nights a bottle of wine and one evening meal. we upgraded to the penthouse for extra 180. we arrived to lovely staff at reception. couldn't book in till after 3 which was fine we went for a bite to eat and came back. booked in and went to the room. the room smelled awful and looked like poo walked into the floor. we checked ours and nothing on them so clearly wasn't cleaned. my girlfriend is pregnant and we really wanted a relaxing few days! we did not get that. no curtains and windows arent great it was so noisey and bright. we didn't get to use the dinner voucher as menu was just awful. we could have upgraded but still not great. we never got the free bottle of wine and no extras in penthouse as you would expect. we've stayed in hotels all over Ireland and always get nice little extras when staying in expensive rooms, even little chocs or fruit. not even a biscuit to be seen. my poor girlfriend woke at 6am unable to sleep from noise and wanted to book into somewhere else for the second night but we'd already paid and I tried to cheer her up by saying its not that bad. (it was) in fairness we didn't complain but I do intend to send a e mail. location is good and staff are friendly but hotel needs a good revamp

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank wicklow1982
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My partner and I availed of a deal with Groupon, basically included 2 nights with breakfast each morning and one evening meal on the night of our choice and a bottle of wine to have with the meal or when ever we wanted. We stayed in Room 207 and found it to be very nice! Decor was lovely, simple but lovely. Only thing about booking with Groupon Vouchers is that there is only limited spaces for them at the weekend so we had to book midweek,totally understandable.Check in was great, receptionist was very nice and very informative, the barman was also informative, he told us all the great places to see, we had breakfast delivered as room service and was lovely, parking was very secure in the hotel premises, we didn't have a problem with it at all. The hotel it self is located in an ideal area, 15 min drive from Tramore Beach and right in the city centre. Also to note that the meal that comes with the Groupon Voucher is very limited, you have a set menu to choose from, it could do with bit more variety. All in all we had a brilliant time at the hotel and would definitely recommend it again! Also this hotel is very anti smoking and you have to sign a document when staying stating that you will not smoke in the rooms. i would advise anyone not to even attempt to do this as the windows are so small and the smoke alarms must be really sensitive because on the first night someone set the alarm off late at night, thus making us all arrive down to the reception in our pj's!! Not nice!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This hotel advertises as a 4 star hotel. It is definitely not at this level.
Rooms are average 3 star (duvets under cover were dirty)-windows were dirty but it didn't matter because the view was of the building opposite. The heat was on full blast and was uncomfortably warm. We had booked a deal that included dinner-the menu for this deal was pathetic, really pathetic. So we ended up spending an additional €35 and if we had realised this would have gone to a restaurant with good quality food. Breakfast was uninteresting and served with incompetent surliness. Overall, I would say, why the hell is this advertised as 4 star??? if advertised as 2/3 star then I'd have known what to expect. Disappointing beyond belief and definitely destroyed a romantic getaway.

1  Thank TrishaGalway_Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I specifically chose the hotel for onsite parking and had checked the website before booking to ensure there was same. On arrival, it became clear that onsite parking was extremely limited with most of the spaces being reserved. When I asked the receptionist about this she was very rude and offhand (as I had interrupted her chat ) - I was told I could park on the street but I'd need to be up before 8.30 to put a ticket on my car! I was also told I'd need to be in the hotel before 4 if I wanted parking....so much for a relaxing break with no time schedules!!When I said about 'free parking not limited parking' being mentioned on the website - I was told that it was clear on the website - which it certainly is not.

Moving on, things did not get any better - room was basic and bath very small not as advertised and far from being luxurious. The tv was also a let down being a very small basic tv and not the newer plasma screen as promised.

Dinner was also a big let down. It took a long time to order and when I did order - it was forgotten. Meal was basic and not what would be expected from a 4 star hotel. Staff were inattentive and failure to clear tables left people sitting with their empty places in front of them for periods of 30/40 minutes.

Overall, very disappointing and would certainly not recommend to anyone heading to Waterford. Their website leads to high expectations - maybe a more realistic view of what is on offer would mean a clearer view of what to expect.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ireland76Ireland
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Nice hotel, clean room, could not access car park, it was full, parked on the nearby quay @ é5 per day. Hotel is near to the quay, so access to the city centre is easy, about 10 minute walk. Limited choice on the dinner menu, special deal menu, but quite nice. Service was mixed.

1  Thank Vincent B