“WONDERFUL HOTEL & STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“WONDERFUL HOTEL & STAFF”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel and have been for the past 3 days - having seen some other comments on tripadvisor, I thought it only fair I share my visit thus far.
Firstly, the free parking is a huge bonus -- I had no problems at all finding parking when I arrived or in the days I have stayed, and I have been coming and going regularly. My room is fresh and spacious and equipped as one would expect of a 4 star hotel. I have eaten in both the restaurant and bar throughout my stay and must admit, the food and service have been first class 100% of the time. The staff here are fantastic and will go out of their way to please - very friendly and welcoming. I will be leaving Waterford soon and as soon as I return, I will not have to think twice as of where to stay. Perfect location, food, staff and rooms - I will highly recommend to all friends and family.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank fiona k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is not a 4 star hotel but staff were very friendly.Bedroom quite small but quite comfortable notwithstanding. Bed and bathroom both fine. As we had requested a quiet room we were given room at back which was very quiet. Hairdryer in locker beside bed without access to mirror? Hotel car park quite small but this is usual in city hotel, didn't get parking on first night but got in for second night.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back as rooms at front face on to busy road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Hi Peader,

thank you for your comments. I am dleighted to see you enjoyed your stay at the Fitzwilton. Sorry to see you could not get parking on the first night of your visit however.

Thank you once again for your comments - I will look into the issue with the mirror personally.

Kindest Regards,

Dublin
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel from Sunday 19th to Tuesday 21st Feburary. It was a belated Valentine celebration trip.

The booking was made on the hotel web site for two nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal. I was looking forward to the trip it being a four star hotel.

On arrival at 3.30pm the car park was full we eventually managed to get a spot in it however it is also shared with residents of an apartment block and on checking out there appeared to have been a drinking party in the car park the night before due to the large amount of empty bottles and cans left lying around.

The wi fi in the room did not work and despite two assurances they would get the technician to look at I still had no access by the time I left very annoying when you are self employed and need access to check emails etc.

The room was ok and this was the only redeeming feature of the hotel however be prepared to put up with a lot of noise.

The restaurant has filthy dishes and cutlery check both before using at the breakfast sitting, one table at dinner time even had a dirty dish cloth on it and the staff just walked passed it. There seemed to be a lot of disorganisation re the choice of meal available it depended on which catagory you booked under ie hotel website or coupon deal.

We could pick our main meal from the selection on the main menu with a bed sign beside it and when it came to desert I was given the two option desert selection from the coupon menu and when I pointed out I was not on the coupon booking I was told I could have five options.

The service is extremely slow the staff whilst friendly appear to double job throughout the hotel definitely the restaurant staff need to update their service and customer skills.

Having stayed in four star hotels previously in Ireland this hotel is not up to standard and perhaps Failte Ireland (Bord Failte) should revisit same. Would I return never.

1 Thank amag4523

I am delighted you got a space in the car park on your arrival which would lead me to suggest it was not actually full? I can assure you the car park is monitored by our night staff also and there was certainly no party there at any stage. I apologise for the issues you had with the wi-fi. We did have some disruption for a number of days however this has now been resolved. I am delighted you found our staff to be extremely friendly and professional which I will be more than happy to relate to them.

Thanks once again fro taking the time to write.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

arklow
Reviewed 2 March 2012

booked mid week in feb two b&b and 1 evening meal.on arrival found room very clean.after booking went to bar and ordered 2 coffees and 2 brown toasties.sanwiches arrived,white bread not toasted,returned them to barman,telling him ordered brown toasted.he grunted something took them away,returned them a long time later,but still not toasted.we just paid for them,but they were horrible,so we just left them there and left.later that evening my friend and myself went to bar ,ordered 2 drinks,and was charged 12.80 euro,pricey.that evening we went for evening meal,and when menu arrived it was different from resturaunt menu.the menu was very limited and when we complained we were told we could upgrade to other menu at a cost of 18 euro each.we declined offer and when food arrived it was terrible.the next morning i was awoken at 6 45 by a delivery truck unloading beer barrells to hotel right below our room which was over enterance to car park.to sum up our midweek break,disaster and definately will not be going back.

Room Tip: dont take room over car park on beer delivery mornings.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank thomas e

I am very sorry to read of the confusion with your bar order and also that you did not even get the correct order in the end. My apologies. You mention that the bar was pricey for 2 drinks. As I do not know what 2 drinks you had, I am sorry to say I can not comment further. The menu you received was part of the City Deal offer. It clearly states at the time of purchase of your city deal offer that it will be from a select menu that will be served in the met bar area. I am happy to see that you were seated in the restaurant however. I am sorry to see that your sleep was disrupted by delivery vehicles, we do our utmost to schedule such deliveries mid-day and away form all hotel rooms.

Thank you once again for your comments.

cork
Reviewed 2 March 2012

for a four star hotel i was discusted with my stay in the fitzwilton ....check in was slow and rooms for not up the standard of previous four stars hotels i have stayed in.......myself and my partner also ate in the hotel restaurant on one of our nights stay and were extremely dissapointed with the food, two couples near us also complained about there meal on the same night, just not up to scratch and on top of that service was extremely slow. This is my first time ever complaining about any hotel i have stayed in. when i returned I also learned that this hotel had CHARGED ME TWICE for my stay and i am STILL waiting to get this money back despite being in touch with three different staff members and management....it is an absolute disgrace and they wernt even apologetic over the whole situation....at this stage i will be getting in touch to my solicitor. They were so quick to take the money out but im still waiting and it is now one week later and going into the weekend.... IM DISCUSTED

1 Thank CorkAmyjo
Hi Corkamyjo,

May I state that we the hotel did not charge you twice for your stay and therefore we do not still have your money. There was a pre-auth done on your card which is standard procedure. The money is in your account, it is just locked - you will need to contact your bank to unlock it. Apologies for the inconvenience, this is a downside to debit cards. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience but I assure you, we have not charged you twice for your stay.

Regards,

Cork
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed one night last month, I am surprized it's a 4 star to be fair it warrants 3, we did get a good deal, considering it's a city based hotel, €99 for two sharing including breakfast. Biggest gripe was the carpark, full to the brim by 3.30pm, despite the fact that check in is at 3pm! So I wondered who else is using this carpark? Took my chances by street parking and paid a metre until the evening time. So don't rely on the carpark. Room was fine, breakfast was fine, although staff were under fierce pressure to an almost full breakfast room, and this led to small annoyances like waiting for bread to toast, waiting for buffet to be restocked etc.. hotel is situated amidst high rise buildings from most angles surrounded by busy streets. If I were staying in Waterford again I don't think I would choose this hotel, even though €99 was good value, I would pay a little bit extra elsewhere for peace of mind on the car front - this was my 1st time booking into a hotel shortly after check in time and finding it's carpark full. Lovely staff at this hotel, unfortunately it's not enough to entice me back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Sorry to see the car park was full on your arrival. We do have free on-site parking which is rare city centre hotels, however it is subject to availability and can become full during busy periods. We do offer guests the alternative of paying €5.00 for 24 hour car parking on the Quay (2 minutes walk from the hotel). I am delighted you got to avail of one of our very good offers and also that you found all our staff lovely which I will be only too happy to relate to them.

ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This hotel is not up to 4 star standard,but it is a good clean hotel,my wife and i stayed here mid week on a Groupon deal and unlike a previous reviewer, We did not in anyway feel we were treated any different because of it,without doubt the menu choice with groupon is very limited,Breakfast was ok,but this area did seemed to be under staffed,wasn't happy that the hotel restaurant was closed on both nights we were there,this must be a sign of the times but it should be on the web site.