“Burglary”

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
“Burglary”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The Fitzwilton hotel is a very modern nice hotel. The hotel offers great services and a great view of the river . Although this is all nice and fancy there was a burglary that occurred during the night as I was asleep with my family apart from my father . My father had gone to the bar to meet up with friends and have a couple of drinks. As my father was gone my mother who is a very light sleeper heard somebody come into the bedroom. She knew it was not my father as she checked the time after the person had left the room anyway . she hear somebody enter although she stayed where she was quietly while I was still asleep. In the morning I woke up to see my father and mother searching desperately for something . she was looking for her handbag which was taken by the person who came into the room . she rang the guards and told them the story . a few weeks later she got a call from the police saying that 8 more handbags had gone missing and they were suspecting that it was one of the staff members which the main swipe key .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Yasmine O
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Hi Jasmine,

thank you for your post regarding your visit last July. I am very sorry to hear what happened to you and your parents. It was actually the hotel who called the police immediatley to have this awful matter resolved for which we are deeply sorry and had no control over. I have to say in this instance there was not 8 handbags robbed and I doubt very much the local guardai would firstly call you with this information and secondly, falsley accuse a member of our staff without any proof of who was in your room. I appreciate the fact the handbag was stolen for which we greatly apologise however elaborating the story helps nobody. PLease feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss.

Kind Regards,

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I alongside two other bridesmaids were organising a hen for 30 odd people and the hotel were very helpful and accommodating before we arrived, but once we were there they went above and beyond their call of duty, reception , housekeeping everything and everybody, the food was delicious, the waiting staff were great but danny in the restaurant ( do not know surname ) went above and beyond to organise our clubbing activities and could noo have been more helpful in getting the best deal possible for us whn we arrived, true gent. I hand on my heart cannot praise this hotel enpough and will always recommend people go to waterford and 100% stay with the fitzwilton...and give danny a pay rise!

Room Tip: No tips all excellent
1 Thank Jenn R
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Thank you kindly Jenn for your review.

We are all delighted you and your colleagues had a lovely stay at the Fitzwilton and enjoyed your visit to Waterford city. I am also happy to see your dining experience was delicious. I will be more than satisfied to pass your very kind words on to all of the team - especially Danny.
Thank you and your colleagues once again for taking the time to write. We sincerely hope we get to welcome you all again very soon.

Kindest Regards,

Sales & Marketing Manager
Wexford
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Arrived at the hotel on the Saturday during the Waterford Harvest Festival, for a one night stay with husband and 2 kids. Booking in was smooth, our family room on the second floor had floor-ceiling windows overlooking the river, bright, airy room, spotlessly clean. Plenty of toileteries in the bathroom, brilliant shower. Beds some of the most comfortable we've ever slept in. Also, no noise from the street below. The staff were all friendly, helpful and polite. The bar was modern with comfortable seating, looking out onto the street, great selection of drinks (even Mojioto on tap!) The highlight though was the breakfast, vast selection to choose from, both cooked and continental, and again the staff very efficient and friendly. Will definitely return to this hotel, well done to all there!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Hi Wexfordlizi,

Thank you for your positive review on your recent visit to the Fitzwilton Hotel. I am delighted you and your family had a wonderful stay with us and that your room was to your satisafction. I will be more than happy to pass your kind words to our friendly staff. I will also let the chef know how pleased you were with our extensive breakfast buffet. (and our Mojito's :) )

We sincerely hope to welcome you and your family again soon.

Thank you once again for your review.

Kind Regards,

Sales & Marketing Manager
Belfast
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I took advantage of a great mid week offier to visit Waterford for hsitorical and genealogy reasons. I was delighted with the location of the hotel, friendliness of the staff, dleicious breakfast and opprtunity to relax. i would defintiely recommend as good to stay in. The bar was a bit on the dark side and could do with brightenting up the evening meal there was adequate, didn't eat in the restaurant but would suggest to give it a go judging by the breakfast served there. The cost for 2 at €170 was excellent value with 2 brekafast and 1 dinner included.

Room Tip: As the hotel is slightly off the main road none of the room have aparticulary good view.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my boyfriend and really enjoyed it. We stayed in a room on the 4th floor and the room was perfect. It was lovely and clean and i couldnt of asked for a nicer room. As it was my boyfriends bday i asked for a bottle of wine in our room on arrival. When we got to our room there was a bday card from the hotel which was so thoughtful. Breakfast was lovely and the hotel was in a perfect location. Reception staff were lovely especially linda (i think that was her name) who made our stay extra special. Would recommend this hotel to everyone, will def be returning.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank tcolli
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Would recommend this hotelfor sure. We stayed in this hotel on a one night trip to Waterford. Prices we got from the hotel directly were very reasonable for B&B. The hotel is very well located in the centre of the town. The pictures on the website shed a very good light on the hotel and may be a little deceaving when you arrive in. There is parking onsite which is a bonus. The rooms were a very good size with a nice bathroom. Due to the central location the rooms are noisy in the mornings so probably not the best location if you are looking for a lie in. The hotel bar is roomy with friendly staff willing to point you in any direction around the city. Staff in reception are very friendly upon arrival, although this is another hotel who has adapted the recent trend of not letting people check in until 3pm but check out is 12pm! Breakfast is fine, it wont blow you away and we were lucky that people at our table had already got tea as we were not offered any during our breakfast. In general we were happy with out stay and will go back.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I really can't understand how this hotel has managed to hold 4 stars.

We were put in room 209, on the second floor looking out into an apartment block. A few little things that took from the room were; the handle broken off the window, surfaces are in urgent need of a sanding & revarnishing, there was a few drops of what looked like blood on the floor and the shower hose holder was broke which resulted in my partner being hit on the head several times while trying to shower. My main problem was the noise, luckily I was up at 6am to start working, because that's when the bin tuck stopped outside the room and caused a terrible racket! You can hear almost everything outside, from people talking to cars going up and down the lane. It felt like the window was constantly open. The room was fairly clean, however it didn't feel it due to the surfaces being in a disgraceful condition. The TV remote didn't work, and there was a huge mark across the screen. There was also only one cup on the tea tray, which doesn't really suit a room with two people staying. I know all I've mentioned are little picky things, however they do all add up.

The hotel decor could do with a face lift, it's extremely dated and a more modern approach would be much better suited for this hotel. Better sound proofing could be beneficial. I couldn't help but overhear several couples enjoying themselves in the two nights I stayed there. Not so much from our room, but from the corridors it bounces around the walls and can be heard everywhere. The lifts could do with some upgrades, I often felt like the lift was about to break down when I was in it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels