“Good but a little dusty...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin Ireland
“Good but a little dusty...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2008

I stayed at the Fitzwilton for three nights a couple of weeks ago and was happy with the experience overall. Like a previous reviewer said, it was the little things that brought this hotel down... in this case the little thing was once again cleanliness.

I'm not saying that it was filthy, however over the time I was there it was evident that the housekeeping staff literally vacuumed around the bed and no place else. Dusty patches inside the door of the room were left during the entire stay - hoovering in the corners was certainly not done regularly. The ledge over the bed seemed to have layers of built up dust on it and it certainly wasn't touched while I was staying there. Not what you'd expect.

I realise it is only a little dust, but it is these things which could be solved in a few extra seconds during a room clean that make you wonder about the hygiene of the place in general.

There needs to be much higher standards of cleaning in the bedrooms and more inspection of these standards by management.

• Liked — comfortable bed and free wifi
  • Disliked — lots of dusty surfaces in the bedroom!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank behand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2008

We stayed here in September 2007 for two nights. Very reasonable price and very good service and facilities for what you pay.

The very modern bedroom was cosy with a large soft beds and clean sleek bathroom.

Breakfast in the restaurant was nice and the service was faultless. We would definitely return.

• Liked — Nice large and modern rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fidge9
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here along with another couple. We weren't supposed to be stayin here (we had booked into another hotel through a website that will remain nameless only to find the hotel we had originally booked was closed and a building site!!!) We were virtually stranded in Waterford when a cab driver told us about a new hotel that had opened. It was the Fitzwilton. They were so nice to us, they sorted us out with rooms for the weekend and were so friendly and helpful. Only really ate breakfast in the hotel but the food was very good, waiting staff were a little on the slow side but after a night out in the city the night before we were all moving at a snails pace!
I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel, I would have no qualms whatsoever recommending this hotel to a friend or family member, in fact I have already!! Top marks!!!!

• Liked — The rooms were lovely!!!
  • Disliked — Waiting staff a bit slow at breakfast time, but they were fine really
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank DublinGirl353
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2008

Booked this hotel through its parent group website for the incredible rate of €19/night for the room! The room was modern and relatively spacious with a double and single bed. Location is great, less than a five minute walk to the main square. As has been mentioned, parking is *tight* and very limited - 36 spaces (they're numbered) for 91 rooms. Staff seemed fine from the limited contact we had with them - we didn't eat here.

A few minor negative points. The pillows were really uncomfortable and need to be replaced by something a little less cheap and the shower/bath used a curtain rather than a door and naturally billowed all over you as you showered! There was also quite a bit of guest noise in the corridors one night - I get the impression that the hotel is used by stag/hen groups at weekends.

These points excepted, we were very happy with the hotel, which we felt bordered on four star.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Pillows
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Drzava
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2008

My husband and I stayed here on the 31st of December, drove up from Dublin. It looks like a new hotel, easy to find- too bad we couldnt park in the hotel parking lot as it was full, reception could have been friendlier.
Bar very nice, ok staff. They ignore you until you actually wave at them for attention.
Hotel restaurant "Dish" outstanding food, rude asian waitress that almost bit our head off when we went in the next morning to sit down for breakfast.
All in all i would go back as the rooms were lovely, clean and new but for this to be a top class hotel the staff needs to be told to be a bit nicer.

• Liked — Room/Food/Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ItalianinDublin
wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2007

Was not sure what to expect when I booked this Hotel for a weekend. The minute I walked in through the door of the hotel I knew I had nothing to worry about. From the minute we walked in to the minute we left we were treated excellently. Staff were both friendly and helpful. The rooms were top class and the whole hotel was spotless at all times. Food was also great and very well priced

• Liked — Friendly staff and clean rooms
  • Disliked — Car park was a little tight for room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank 2red
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2007

I have stayed in the fitzwilton before with my Girlfriend back in feb of this year. So we decided to vist it again after the lovely time we had the first time.
First visit:
Food was great
Nice staff
great rooms
Lovely hotel

Second Visit;
Staff were rude
food was not nice what so ever
Rooms were great
Lovely hotel

When we were checking in the lady(seemed to be Scottish) at the front desk would not even look at me while speaking to me I gave her my name and she took the details and handed me the room key without telling what room or floor we were on.
Went to the bar to have some food and after our first vist I thought it would have been great I was mistaken. I ordered the steak and it came out with in 4-5mins I was quite shocked and said to my girlfriend wow that was super quick, as we ate I found the steak to be dry and cold in the centre and it seemed to be cooked early on and just pan fried to quickly heat it up.

On leaving the same girl was at the front desk I told her the room number that we were checking out from and she said ok........That was it no receipt no thank you nothing.
Why ruin a great hotel with staff and food like that Im sad to say I WONT be staying again for the 3rd time due to the food and staff.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Jonnytraveldude

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels