“Great weekend away!”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Had a lovely weekend in the Fitzwilton Hotel with my boyfriend. The staff were very friendly, room was in great condition and both the breakfast and dinner were delicious! I would definitely recommend this hotel :)

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms at the back...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay in the Fitzwilton Hotel and we were very happy with every aspect of our stay there.Every single member of staff we met was helpful, courteous and friendly especially Oresta and Danny who we met a few times.We ate dinner there one night which was nicer than the one we ate in a city centre restaurant and our breakfast was delicious both mornings.Top class cocktails made in the bar by Davy too! We were there midweek so it was quiet in the hotel and bar but Waterford itself was very quiet so I wouldn't take this as a reflection of the hotel. We would happily recommend it to others and hope to return to stay there again soon!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shoes38
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed here for the first time last weekend - good value for the price and paid €55 for a room for the night - room perfectly fine - view from the back of the hotel not great but quiet enough - good night sleep had - the bar a bit strange in that very quiet indeed even late at night - however found that Waterford very quiet in general at this time of year.....would definitely stay here again as well located

Brgds
John Kiely

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jkmanc1974
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Hi Mr. Kiely,

thank you for your visit to the Fitzwilton Hotel. I am delighted to see you enjoyed your first time visiting and that more importantly that it will not be your last. We do indeed offer fantastic value at the Fitzwilton for all our varied room types. All of our rooms are spacious and have all been newly decorated. Sorry your view was dissappointing - we will happily allocate you a river facing view on your next visit. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kindest Regards and a Happy New Year

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my mother for the new year and it was the worst new year i ever had. I had worked all over the christmas and i was really looking forward to my break only for it to be ruined by this hotel. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and have never felt i needed to write a review but this time i feel it is a must for other people to be aware of this hotel. We arrived at the hotel around 12.40 on monday afternoon, our room was not ready which was understandable as we were early so we waited in the bar. The service in the bar was very bad and the barman was very rude to my mother she asked him to bring the drinks over to our table and he said "No" she had to wait, she sat down after a few mins and he still never came over to us eventually i went to the bar and he left me standing for at least 5 mins before serving me, never a please thankyou nothing. At 3pm my mother went to reception to ask about the room and the receptionist said oh sorry we forgot about yous. Great start! We got to the room which was supposed to be an excutive suite which i had paid for in advance and it was just a double room to me. No robes, slippers, wine, water etc as advertised on the hotels website. We complained to the manager and they sent up 2 small bottles of wine and 2 pairs of slippers. The new years dinner was unbeliveable, although the food was barely edible, it took 3 hours to serve the meal. There is alot more i would like to say about this hotel but just dont have the room.All in all it was a awful place to stay, i would never recommend this hotel to anybody and would never stay in it again. Another thing was on new years day when we went for breakfast only the young girl at the door said good morning, the so called Manager Ms -------, who was in the breakfast room and who we had complained to the day before did not even acknowledge myself and my mother, she made us feel very uncomfortable like we had done something wrong and it was very very unprofessional. This should definitely not be classed as a 4 star hotel maybe 2/3 at best. Louise Dublin

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Louise T
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Hi Louise,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fitzwilton Hotel. I am very surprised to read the barman actually refused to serve drinks to your table as all service in the Met Bar at the Fitzwilton Hotel is table service. Plus to be left standing at the bar for an additional 5 minutes plus is unacceptable on our part. I do apologise your executive room was not prepared with all the trimmings as advetised - wine, water, robes & slippers, daily newspapers etc... I am confused as to how you found the New Years meal both unbelieveable and barely edible. I do not wish to doubt you though I am fully aware it took nowhere near 3 hours to serve the New Years Eve meal, I am sorry you feel you were waiting that long. I am dissappointed to see you would not reccommend our hotel in the future and also to see you did not enjoy your visit to Waterford and the Fitzwilton Hotel. Thank you once more for sharing your experience and I am sorry it was not a more positive one on this occassion.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2013

hotel was very good but bar food was poor standard and represented poor value for money. The hotel was very clean. The reception staff were helpful. The breakfast was good. Parking was provided free. WIFi was free and reasonable quality. The room was good size warm clean and comfortable. The bar food was disappointing. The breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Try the Gingerman pub down the town for good quality and good value food.
Reviewed 4 January 2013

The Fitzwilton has seen better days. The interior is chipped and stained, cheap materials. The family room had no fridge, just an extra bed in a normal room. The staff did not replace tea and milk over night. The breakfast was of poor quality and taste. The staff were efficient but abrupt.

It is not a 4 star hotel, a 3 star at best.

It is clean, quiet and well located in Waterford city. The price was fine.

We stayed here a few years back and it was much better then.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have no view but are quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PaulMiWatson
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The hotel is situated only two minutes walk from shops, bars and restaurants, and has it's own free car park. The food in the restaurant is very good and everywhere was clean with friendly, helpful staff.

The bar area was disappointing and set out like a New York diner with plastic chairs and benches. Our room was quite small and dark, with little storage space (no drawers at all); and there was no-where to blow dry hair near a mirror. There was a mirror in a strange place down the side of the wardrobe!!!! The bathroom was OK, but the shower was too high to reach and there was no face cloth! Unfortunately the bed was terrible - it creaked when we moved and shook when one of us turned over. There was a small TV on the wall.

Room Tip: I would recommend upgrading your room which could be better than the one allocated to us.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear Halfy,

Thank you for visiting the Fitzwilton Hotel. I am pleased to see our very central location was to your benefit. I will happily pass your kind words to our kitchen and also to our very friendly staff.
I am sorry to see tha bar was not to your satisfaction. I can assure you, the booths and chairs are in fact real leather and not plastic. I regret to see also that your room was clearly not to your expectation for which I apologise. We are often complimented on how comfortable our rooms and beds are so am sorry to see your room was not to our usual high standards. As a 4* property all of our rooms need to be of a certain size which we exceed in all rooms.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us and we hope to welcome you again soon to the Fitzwilton Hotel.

Kindest Regards,