“Appalling customer service”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin
“Appalling customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I had booked a weekend stay for my wifes birthday, however was told by e-mail 2 days before our trip that the hotel was closed for 3 weeks due to flood damage.
In the e-mail it said that "The booking deposit you have paid will be refunded directly to your card." I was disappointed, however I presumed that it was beyond their control and thought by the wording of the mail that my booking had been cancelled. I then got a call 2 days later asking if I wanted to rebook a different date or cancel. I thought this was strange as the mail had made out that my booking would be cancelled. I asked for it to be cancelled and presumed that the deposit would be refunded straight away as it was a laser card not a credit card.
Fast forward 4 days and I send a mail asking where my deposit is and am told that I can take up to 10 days to process.
In my eyes this is not good enough and I felt that the least the hotel could have done to alleviate the disappointment of having your weekend away cancelled at the last minute was to refund the money straight away.
Anyway in the end it took 16 working days and numerous e-mails to have my deposit returned. The reason for this I was told was "Unfortunately you were the only guest who the system missed on the list of auto refunds."
It seems coincidental that out of 1200 refunds (a number given to me by the hotel) that I was the only one to be left off the refund list after complaining about the delay.
Anyway, this experience underlines the fact that some people should definitely not be in customer facing roles.

1 Thank DublinPeterw123
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Hi again Peter,

Thank you for your comments - to reiterate my explanation to your complaint which as you are aware I have replied to you peronsally, through social media and through failte Ireland and Tripadvisor already - the hotel was badly damaged by water and closed for three weeks. Thankfully, we are now back up and running after a full refurb and the hotel lobby, bar and restaurant has been given a full makeover and looks fantastic. I have sent confirmation from the web company that was dealing with depsoit refunds to Failte Ireland as requested which states 'that they somehow missed your depsit for €17.00'. I am deeply sorry you had to wait so long for the monies to be refunded but as explained - our servers, computers and such were also damaged in the flood which further delayed some issues being resolved. I apologise for the inconvenience but the temporary closure of the property was out of our hands as we were unaware we would be closed for 3 weeks due to flooding.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I do hope you will accept this by way of apology for the inconvenience that was experienced.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
Banbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

After a 5 hour drive we got a great welcome from the Reception staff in this city based hotel. The hotel seems to have been recently refurbished and it shows; the room was lovely and spacious with a full bathroom and there was plenty heat to keep my wife comfy.
The restaurant and bar had a modern theme, were both very comfortable and offered an extensive menu. We ate in the restaurant on the first night of our 2-night break and found the choice and quality of the the food excellent. Breakfast on each morning was the usual self service with a really good selection of good quality hot and quality food. My particular favourite was the homely brown, almost black, grain breads on offer.
The actual city of Waterford was a pleasant venue for weekend break with enough to see and, of course, a good selection of shops for my wife to browse.
The only negative point over the entire weekend was the amount of dog 'mess' on the pavements throughout the city.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Hi Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write. Yes you are correct, we have just finished a complete refurbishment of the hotels main lobby, bar & restaurant area and I do agree they look fantastic. I am delighted to see you room was to your liking and also that you enjoyed the wonderful food on offer at Restaurant Chez - K's & The Met Cafe Bar. I will be happy to pass your kind words to our chef also about the wonderful homemade breads we bake freshly at the hotel each morning - I am glad you enjoyed them and hope you got to take a loaf with you when you were leaving. I am delighted to see also that you enjoyed our central location which is within walking distance of all shops, restaurants, bars etc...

We look forward to welcoming you and yours to the Fitzwilton Hotel on your next visit to Waterford.

Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Myself and my husband stay here every single time we visit Waterford and on every single occasion we really really enjoy our selfs. We couldn't fault this beautiful hotel in any way.
Highly highly recommended.

Good morning reviewer,

Thank you once again for sharing your recent visit to the Fitzwilton Hotel. We are delighted you and your husband enjoy your visit so much on every occassion and that is what we strive to achieve at the Fitzwilton Hotel. We greatly appreciate your very kind words and we look forward as always to welcoming you both again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Overall the hotel was very average, we were very disappointed in the standard of the room, it was extremely basic and the bed was very uncomfortable.I find it hard to believe it is a 4 start! On the upside, the food is the hotel was very nice and extremely reasonable and the location was fantastic!

Room Tip: We didn't upgrade but I did noticed when we were leaving that upgrades were only 15euro so I wou...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer M
Dear reviewer,

I regret to see you found your visit to be average. All of our rooms have to be of a certain size, and standard to comply with Failte Ireland 4* Standards for which all of our rooms do. We have in fact some of the most spacious rooms in the City. All of our rooms have a large en-suite bathroom, plasma tv, iron/board, Free Wi-Fi, safe, Tea/Coffee making facilities, 24 hour room service, seating area, work and vanity station and are all very spacious.
I am dleighted to see you enjoyed the wonderful food on offer at the Met Bar & Restaurant Chez -K's and also our wonderful city centre location.
We do sincerly hope you will get to visit us again soon and perhaps avail of one of our great value upgrades.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Well I arrived at 8pm to check in to find the hotel closed – panic time! So I checked my booking, yes was the right day so phoned the hotel from the car park (which was closed). Reception answered and I said -
(Me) Do you have a booking for me? Yes the girl at the check-in said but we are closed and we have been trying to contact you to tell you the hotel is closed – my answer ‘well that’s worked as I’m here!’
(Hotel) Well we have been trying to get hold of you all day
(Me) Just how have you been trying to get hold of me? I book through hotels.com, don’t you have their number?
(Hotel) Yes it’s a UK number
(Me) Well I’m based in the UK
(Hotel) Well we didn’t phone it... as it was a UK number
At this point I clearly see I was speaking to someone with zero customer service so asked that simple question –
(Me) As I have pre-paid, can you tell me what plans you have made to move me to another hotel?
(Hotel) None you just need to claim the money back from who you booked the hotel with and find another hotel on your own ………….
At this point I was speechless with lack of customer service levels I would except at Faulty Towers I hung up as due to complete shock of how little they cared about guests.
Thank god I had booked via hotels.com, I phoned then and within 5 min they moved my hotel to another hotel and offered compensation. I will never stay in this hotel again and advise people to look at the hotel on the corner on the front, not this one!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank matt1975_05
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunatley, we did have to close the hotel for a brief period which was out of our control. We did endevour to contact every customer to advise them of the situation and reccommen a hotel within 2 minutes walking distance of us to all guests we were unable to get in contact with which I can assure you was very few. I am sorry you were not given the option of this other hotel when you arrived at the Fitzwilton as this should have been the procedure followed by all members of staff. I can assure you, we have now had a complete refurbishment and are fully back up and runnIng and the hotel looks better than ever. Once again, I am sorry how your situation was dealt with and we would love the opportunity to right these wrongs. Please do feel free to contact me directly to discuss further.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable, but a little noisy as the hotel is on a busy road. Even on the fourth floor the road noise was intrusive. The staff were friendly and efficient. We ate in the bar a couple of times and the food was good and reasonably priced.
The location was great for town centre excursions and is right beside the river for interesting walks.

Parking can be an issue if the hotel is busy. There is nowhere near enough capacity for the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if the noise of a busy road bothers you.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gosub
Hi Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to see you found your room clean and comfortable and also enjoyed the service of our friendly and efficient staff too. I am also delighted to see you availed of the great offers available on food and drinks in the hotels Met Bar and that you enjoyed your experience there also. We do advise guests that parking can be limited at peak periods however we do have other options when our car park is full, a mere 2 minute walk from the hotel. Thank you also for your kind comments on our city centre location.

We look forward to welcoming you and yours again soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I would recommend this Hotel as a 3star one night only stay. Good value but certainly could do with improvements. Towels shabby, no tissues, tiny tv, shower curtain smelly, worn and scratched furniture and corridor smelt of smoke although i requested a smoke free room. Bar is nice and breakfast was ok. Not sure id go back unless i couldnt find anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank TheresaStew
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Hi Theresa,

thank you for your comments. I am sorry to see your room was not up to standard. I am also dissappointed the corridor smelt of smoke. Our entire hotel is non - smoking though unfortunatley some people do break the rules at times which we do our best to manage. I am happy to see you enjoyed the bar and breakfast also.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience at the Fitzwilton Hotel.