“Great Hotel”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Got a present of a groupon voucher for this weekend from friends. When we arrived I got parking in the hotel car park and it was great to have off-street parking. On Checking in the lady at the reception was very nice and welcomed us to the hotel and said she hoped we would have a great stay with them and if we have any issues to contact reception. Our room on the 4th floor (421) was great, large clean room and my wife was delighted with the full length mirror. The bed we found very comfortable and we had no trouble sleeping.
The breakfast which was self service was very good and relaxing. The breakfast Staff were good.
We found the met bar very good and even got table service, the Staff here were Second to none, they were great and well able to make cocktails too.
Overall I think this is a great hotel and the staff are A1. Will be back again soon.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Myself and my husband have been to Waterford 3 times and have stayed at this hotel twice. I would highly recommend it - Staff where very friendly, room was lovely and spacious, Fantastic location and the food was delicious! We really enjoyed ourselves and couldnt falut the hotel at all.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I recently organised my sisters hen in the Fitzwilton Hotel and I was delighted with the weekend. The bar and restaurant staff as well as house keeping were extremely nice and helpful throughout our stay. We had a meal in the restaurant on the Friday night which was beautiful. Could not fault the food and there was great variety on the menu.We also organised a cocktail class with the hotel which was one of the highlights of the weekend, the girl who did the class got everyone involved and made sure we had a great day. The hotel in general was immaculate and very modern. The location of the hotel was amazing and everything was in walking distance. The only thing that left the stay down was one member of staff in the reception who was quite rude on arrival and was totally confused with regards to our booking. I would however highly recommend this hotel especially to hen groups.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I had booked a weekend stay for my wifes birthday, however was told by e-mail 2 days before our trip that the hotel was closed for 3 weeks due to flood damage.
In the e-mail it said that "The booking deposit you have paid will be refunded directly to your card." I was disappointed, however I presumed that it was beyond their control and thought by the wording of the mail that my booking had been cancelled. I then got a call 2 days later asking if I wanted to rebook a different date or cancel. I thought this was strange as the mail had made out that my booking would be cancelled. I asked for it to be cancelled and presumed that the deposit would be refunded straight away as it was a laser card not a credit card.
Fast forward 4 days and I send a mail asking where my deposit is and am told that I can take up to 10 days to process.
In my eyes this is not good enough and I felt that the least the hotel could have done to alleviate the disappointment of having your weekend away cancelled at the last minute was to refund the money straight away.
Anyway in the end it took 16 working days and numerous e-mails to have my deposit returned. The reason for this I was told was "Unfortunately you were the only guest who the system missed on the list of auto refunds."
It seems coincidental that out of 1200 refunds (a number given to me by the hotel) that I was the only one to be left off the refund list after complaining about the delay.
Anyway, this experience underlines the fact that some people should definitely not be in customer facing roles.

1  Thank DublinPeterw123
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Hi again Peter,

Thank you for your comments - to reiterate my explanation to your complaint which as you are aware I have replied to you peronsally, through social media and through failte Ireland and Tripadvisor already - the hotel was badly damaged by water and closed for three weeks. Thankfully, we are now back up and running after a full refurb and the hotel lobby, bar and restaurant has been given a full makeover and looks fantastic. I have sent confirmation from the web company that was dealing with depsoit refunds to Failte Ireland as requested which states 'that they somehow missed your depsit for €17.00'. I am deeply sorry you had to wait so long for the monies to be refunded but as explained - our servers, computers and such were also damaged in the flood which further delayed some issues being resolved. I apologise for the inconvenience but the temporary closure of the property was out of our hands as we were unaware we would be closed for 3 weeks due to flooding.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I do hope you will accept this by way of apology for the inconvenience that was experienced.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

After a 5 hour drive we got a great welcome from the Reception staff in this city based hotel. The hotel seems to have been recently refurbished and it shows; the room was lovely and spacious with a full bathroom and there was plenty heat to keep my wife comfy.
The restaurant and bar had a modern theme, were both very comfortable and offered an extensive menu. We ate in the restaurant on the first night of our 2-night break and found the choice and quality of the the food excellent. Breakfast on each morning was the usual self service with a really good selection of good quality hot and quality food. My particular favourite was the homely brown, almost black, grain breads on offer.
The actual city of Waterford was a pleasant venue for weekend break with enough to see and, of course, a good selection of shops for my wife to browse.
The only negative point over the entire weekend was the amount of dog 'mess' on the pavements throughout the city.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Hi Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write. Yes you are correct, we have just finished a complete refurbishment of the hotels main lobby, bar & restaurant area and I do agree they look fantastic. I am delighted to see you room was to your liking and also that you enjoyed the wonderful food on offer at Restaurant Chez - K's & The Met Cafe Bar. I will be happy to pass your kind words to our chef also about the wonderful homemade breads we bake freshly at the hotel each morning - I am glad you enjoyed them and hope you got to take a loaf with you when you were leaving. I am delighted to see also that you enjoyed our central location which is within walking distance of all shops, restaurants, bars etc...

We look forward to welcoming you and yours to the Fitzwilton Hotel on your next visit to Waterford.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Myself and my husband stay here every single time we visit Waterford and on every single occasion we really really enjoy our selfs. We couldn't fault this beautiful hotel in any way.
Highly highly recommended.

Good morning reviewer,

Thank you once again for sharing your recent visit to the Fitzwilton Hotel. We are delighted you and your husband enjoy your visit so much on every occassion and that is what we strive to achieve at the Fitzwilton Hotel. We greatly appreciate your very kind words and we look forward as always to welcoming you both again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Overall the hotel was very average, we were very disappointed in the standard of the room, it was extremely basic and the bed was very uncomfortable.I find it hard to believe it is a 4 start! On the upside, the food is the hotel was very nice and extremely reasonable and the location was fantastic!

Room Tip: We didn't upgrade but I did noticed when we were leaving that upgrades were only 15euro so I wou...