“A Disappointment”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 30 July 2013

In the course of traveling with a tour group we stayed in 4 different hotels and I must say The Fitzwilton Hotel was the only one that disappointed. The professional pictures of the room do not look like the room we stayed in. Members' pictures better reflect the room, which is in need of some update. The desk and the bathroom vanity top needed refinishing. There were no facecloths in the bathroom nor available.

One main issue we had to do with a loud out-of-control stag party in the bar area. It made for an uncomfortable atmosphere & I am very surprised the bar manager or front desk manager did nothing to settle down this group, who prior to their entry into the bar were in the outside patio table area the hotel, acting very loud, and lifting one young man up in the air as he touched the hotel awning. They certainly did not go unnoticed! Some members of the stag party approached us as we were having a drink in the bar & started with good natured conversation. Their silly antics were dismissed as them having fun, but it quickly escalated into being very inappropriate, making us uncomfortable, so we left with our drinks. What we hoped to be a relaxing night in the lounge was far from it. I would certainly never rate this hotel as a 4 star hotel even without the bar incident.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LuckyL
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Hello Reviewer,

I am sorry to read your visit was a disappointment and mainly as a result of other guests. I am disappointed to read that you were made uncomfortable and that the situation was not dealt with more efficiently from the hotels side. I assure you, this is not a regular occurrence at the hotel as we do not permit unruly behaviour or any such instances that effects the comfort of our other guests. Thank you for sharing your experiences and I am sorry they were disappointing.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night having payed the extra and booking an executive room, when checking in we were out in a standard double room on the 3rd floor, when I noticed this was not the room we booked I mentioned it to reception who didn't apologise but changed us to the 4th floor... Exact same room mind you! So I queried this with the reception again asked was it an executive room to which he informed me yes, why? He asked! So I just told him it appeared to be missing a few extras that were mentioned on the hotels website and my booking confirmation. He then had to ask me "like what" surely working in the hotel he should know what the differences are in their rooms... Anyway I had to tell him, extras such as water, wine, robes, slippers etc.. He then arranged to have these put in the room. Fair enough but not once did he say sorry for any of the mix ups. At this stage endless to say we were not one bit impressed. Especially having just come from another 4 star hotel, may I say the differences were shocking this hotel seemed like a 1 star compared to the previous hotel and also made our previous 4 star look like 5 star or above. The food wasn't even any better, we went to the Met bar for our dinner, my partner had the steak, nothing fancy about this piece of meat not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel, I had the chipotle chicken, which was just a chicken fillet on a bap with chili mayo, if the menu had read that a bit clearer I probably wouldn't have ordered this. But to make matters even worse after a few bites into the chicken I discovered it to be still pink in parts needless to say I went hungry for the night. At this stage I didn't want to further ruin the last night of our anniversary weekend away by complaining again, for no apology to be offered by the somewhat ignorant staff. Unfortunately this hotel was a horrible end to a wonderful few days away.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Sin29

Hello reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fitzwilton. I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am aware you were allocated the wrong room on arrival and apologise for the inconvenience this caused. I am glad to see this was rectified for you with immediate affect. I am surprised to read about your chicken - all our bar and restaurant food is cooked freshly and temperature probed so this would be a very strange occurrence. based on the numerous other replies on tripadvisor, I find your comment regarding our staff being slightly ignorant a little offensive as we are renowned for our friendly and polite staff. Once again, I am truly sorry this stay was not to your satisfaction and I thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Myself and the wife stayed here last week. Didn't book ahead so were lucky to get a room during the good weather,
Room was nice and comfortable and the hotel itself is decorated nicely.
Staff were very friendly and we enjoyed relaxing in the bar with a couple of cocktails.

Room Tip: Book ahead
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Good morning reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very happy to see you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and also that you go to enjoy some of our new cocktails on offer. I will be happy to pass your kind words to our friendly staff.
we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed here on Friday 19th July. We went for the one night special with the three course meal. First of all we checked in, we wanted to do a bit of site seeing and so we asked the receptionist did he know about the train that went around the city. He said he didn't know anything about it really that it just made a lot of noise with the bell ringing. I later found the train myself and when I told the tour guide that our recepeptionist didn't know much about it he was shocked and said they actually did city breaks with this hotel where you got the train included with your stay on a package deal. The room itself was clean, spacious with comfortable beds, as it was extrememly hot that weekend it was frustrating that there was no air conditioning but in fairness we asked for a fan and there was one provided. Our hotel room looked out on to the street which was very noisy. We then went for our meal which was included in the deal. Whilst the food itself was lovely and the staff were very nice there was absolutely no atmosphere in the place at all. Overall I found this hotel to be more of a 3 star rather than 4.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look out onto the road, ask for fan if needed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sineadr19

Hello Sinead,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not receive more information on the city train. We have just signed up for our new packages and I am sorry to say I did not get to relay this information to all the team. My apologies. I am delighted to see you found our rooms spacious and comfortable and our food and staff lovely. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience, as once again am sorry for the inconsistencies you experienced during your visit.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel was lovely, glam and very clean and tidy. I was delighted with our room as we got a family room and I had expected a double, single and pull out but we got two singles and a double and the room was really nice.
Unfortunately, I was really disappointed there was no air conditioning in the bedroom. We did arrive on a hot day and I know Ireland does not usually get really hot weather, but the room was unbearable. We requested a fan, which they provided ( desk size) but in the heat it did nothing but blow hot air around the room. Very difficult to sleep in despite very comfortable beds. Food was lovely and we enjoyed a really nice breakfast in an airconditioned (!) dining room. Bar was good but I'm pregnant and was disappointed when the barman said he couldn't make me up a 'mocktail' - so I watched my hubby enjoy his mojito instead. I've often been catered to before for non alcoholic cocktails but I got the impression that it was going to be too much effort so I left it and went with a 7up.
Overall we enjoyed the stay but the lack of air con really took away from the stay. Had it been a winter visit maybe the review would be better.

Room Tip: Travel when you know it's not going to be warm!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We arrived early for our 1 night stay in Waterford. We got a room straight away, no hassle. The room was very clean and spacious with a comfortable double and an additional single bed. The staff was very helpful in all the departments.
It was one of the hottest weekends in Ireland so Air-condition in the rooms would have been a plus. This might need to be addressed in the future if the hot weather becomes the norm. As there was also building work going on across the road, which only stopped between 11pm-5am, the rooms were very hot at times.
Breakfast was okay. As the air-condition was on all morning the cooked breakfast cooled down quicker than we could eat it. Lots of pastries though to make up for that.
We will definately stay here again when we come to Waterford next year. The most pleasant stay in a modern hotel.

Room Tip: no swimming pool. close to the main train station.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Hello KA,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to read you were allowed immediate access to your room and that you found the room to be both comfortable and spacious. We can never hear too much about how friendly and helpful our staff are. We are aware they are our best asset and love passing such kind comments on. The building work on the opposite street has thankfully stopped and I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused throughout your stay. I am delighted to see you will stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you once again for your very kind comments.

Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Travelling with a large motoring group the Fitzwilton met almost all of our needs. Location is good but it's almost as if Waterford lets the hotel down - the town is suffering redevelopment which means roadworks all over. The staff are very helpful and the food was good. If the rooms had air-conditioning then I would have marked this review up one point.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Good afternoon Reviewer,

Thank you for your very favourable post. We were delighted to have you and your colleagues and all of your wonderful vehicles at the Fitzwilton Hotel recently. I am delighted to read you found our staff helpful and the food was to your satisfaction also. The roadwork's nearest the hotel have thankfully ceased. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you all again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,