“Lovely hotel, great staff & fantastic food”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We arrived late on Friday evening so all the car parking spaces were taken but you can use the Aldi carpark just around the corner at a discounted rate so no issue really over parking!

Staff at check in are really helpful & friendly they actually chat to you rather than just trying to check you in. The rooms are lovely & pretty standard size with plenty of room for a baby cot & luggage. The best thing was the shower, I wanted to take it with me in my bag!!! Water pressure is amazing. Comfy beds & really clean rooms. My daughter locked her "jewellery" into the safe but there was no problems or delays in getting it opened.

We had the wine & dine offer €55 per couple for 4 course dinner & bottle of wine & the food was delicious. Fresh tasty ingredients made into fabulous dishes. The restaurant is beautiful & I recommend booking a table as it books out fast.

The breakfast was a buffet of hot & cold food. There was a wide range to suit everyone & it was replenished often. The rashes are the best I've had in any hotel, top quality.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2011

Thank you Purple-swb for your very kind comments in relation to your recent stay at the Fitzwilton Hotel. Yes, unfortunatley, car parking can be limited at peak times but as you mention, we offer a very discounted rate at the adjacent aldi car park.
I am delighted to see you found our staff helpful and were iplressed by our facilities and the 'shower' :)
Our iwne & dine offer is extremely popular and i am happy you enjoyed your food as well as the service and atmosphere.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your visit with us.

We look forward to welcoming you and yours again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Sales & Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed 19 February 2011

Great location,good value and service. Very contemporary decor but warm and welcoming. The food in the restaurant was top Class.all in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2011

Hi Bobbi,

delighted to see you enjoyed your stay at the Fitzwilton. Thank you for your kind words. I will pass this to our chef regarding our top class restaurant food. (I agree, it is top class, biased view, but true)

Have a good day.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2011

Dealing with your luggage: 1. Park underground. 2. Carry luggage up to the road. 3. Half-block on road. 4. Through lobby. 5. Up elevator. 6. Put down bags before 2-3 sets of fire doors. 7. Proceed through fire doors. 8. Get to room.

Friendly staff. Good location.

Good afternoon frjbdc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Fitzwilton Hotel. I am delighted to see you enjoyed our central location and our firendly staff. If I may just clear up for other readers of your post - the car park is at ground level and not underground. It is a 1 minute walk at most to the hotel as it is attached to the hotel itself. In addition, it is standard practice to have fire doors in every hotel in the country. We would have been only to happy to provide a porter for you to assist with your luggage, and I apologise if this service was not made aware to you upon check in.

I do sincerely hope you had a lovely stay in Waterford City and will return again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2011

Half of the Fitzwilton's problem they can't fix, and that is that it is in Waterford. When we asked the hotel staff what to do, they offered nothing more than the Crystal Museum and the other Museum in town. Litterally nothing else.

The hotel itself looked large, spacious and modern from the pictures. Upon arrival however it was clear the pictures were stretched out to make it appear larger than it actually was. Deciding to pay up for what looked to be a nicer hotel ended up being a regret as it was average at best and I could have had a great time at a B&B and paid half price. Not the worst, but definitely would't recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Do not stay here. Images on website are stretched out to make rooms/lobby look bigger than they are. I laughed out loud when I saw how small the room was (the table and chair was pushed into a corner so tightly that you couldn't even sit on the chairs). One good aspect was the breakfast which was good and located inside a modern and well-designed restaurant facility.

• Stayed: February 2011

Hi Eurpoetraveler,

Thank you for your comments. I can assure you our images are not stretched nor do we make any attempt to misslead our customers at any stage. As the only 4 star hotel in Waterford City, Our rooms, public areas etc.. have to be a minimum standard size (which we exceed in every room) in order to comply with 4 Star achievement so I am sorry ther room siew was not suitable for you on this occassion. I am delighted you enjoyed the breakfast during your stay and the design of our Restaurant.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Just back from a weekend at the Fitzwilton and was very impressed. Two nights bb and an evening meal for 99e was fantastic value especially as it was Valentines weekend. The only negative point was the car park which is really bad and when I pointed this out to reception we were told that we could have used Aldi as the Hotel send people here as an overflow. Perhaps this could be put on the website as it would certainly save the hassle of getting in to park and then finding no spaces..Overall however everything else was lovely very friendly staff and wonderful food and as for noise from the street, I really never heard a thing and I am a very light sleeper. I would highly recommend this hotel

Reviewed 9 February 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here on the 5th-7th Feb 2011, we had gotten a great one night B&B, massage and bottle of wine deal and when I phoned to book the receptionist offered us a second night as a discounted rate which we gladly took.

After recently reading some of the reviews on here I was very worried about our weekend, it is true what people are saying about the car park, it is very very pokey and although it looks like there is plenty of spaces until you go in and they are 'reserved for apartment residents'. Luckily we managed to get the last space round the back of the hotel which looked like a dumping yard for all the hotel's beer crates etc but was a ‘space’ nevertheless.
The car that came in after us had an awful time trying to manoeuvre about the car park particularly trying to turn to exit it. I would definitely not recommend to anyone new to driving or those who are not confident.

Having read the reviews about the hotel and knowing that we wouldn't be coming to the hotel to late evening (7pm) I emailed the hotel to the address provided on their website asking what the car park policy was and any alternatives, unfortunately they have still yet to get back to me which was over a week ago.

Hotel is very easy to find and it very nice inside. We arrived at reception to check in and was greeted by a nice girl who gave us our keys and informed us we are booked into the restaurant for 8pm, for the 55 EURO 4 course meal offer - this was the first time we had heard anything of the offer as I definitely did not book it!! I told the girl at reception who looked baffled and stay ‘don’t worry I will cancel your booking, sometime people get confused with what they book’. I certainly was not confused I know I didn’t book it as we were arriving quite late on.- despite the girl being friendly she did not offer any information on check out times or breakfast details (all info can be found in the hotel book in your room if in doubt)

The T.V worked but not with all the channels available, we had about 6 channels out of a plentiful list that was apparently available – assuming this was due to signal problems it was not the hotels fault but frustrating nonetheless (especially on Superbowl night)

Breakfast is what you would expect from a nice hotel, buffet style with full continental and hot food available, there was not much choice on the hot food but the essentials were there. On Sunday morning we were greeted at the door and asked whether we would like tea or coffee and had plenty of food. However on Monday morning things were a bit different the hotel was obviously less busy and the food was running low with some buffet plates being empty, there was no one to greet us and take our room number or offer us drinks. The hotel restaurant for breakfast was very understaffed, although it was considerably quieter than Sunday but still not enough staff. Breakfast was very nice, could maybe be improved with cooked to order item e.g. more than one type of egg like most 4 star hotels have but that’s probably being a bit too picky.

Due to myself being sick we decided to eat in the hotel on the Sunday night and order room service, there is a very reasonable menu to choose from and was promptly delivered to our room. The food was amazing we had the steak, was cooked to our own requirements and presentation was lovely. Would definitely recommend eating here – compliments to the chef.

Our room was lovely and very clean, bed was a good size (not the comfiest though). Our room over looked the street and it was like the other reviewers said very very very noisy. You could hear every car go past and any shouting on the street particularly on the Saturday night) – so wouldn’t suggest if taking small children or if you are desperate for a sound sleep. (maybe request a different view room)

Our offered included a massage in the beauty salon. The two girls that did our massages were lovely, very friendly and relaxing. However the ‘beauty salon’ is a just a hotel room without any beds in it – the girls have done great with what they had nicely decorating it etc. But would suggest going somewhere else if you wanted to treat a few people say maybe girly day out as it is quiet small.

On checking out, our bill was higher than expected after asking for a print out of it (which the girl at the desk gladly provided and was very helpful) I saw that the hotel had charged me for the 4 course meal that I had supposedly booked for the first night even though the girl said it was cancelled, the receptionist was very pleasant about it and took it off the bill as I assured her of what had happened. – so just have a wee double check of the bill before you check out so there is no nasty surprises.

Overall we had a lovely experience at this hotel, and would probably stay again due to the nice rooms and decor and excellent location.