“Welcoming little place”
Review of Portree House

Portree House
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We were travelling through Waterford and found two beds in the dormatory here.

The hostel is located at the corner of the city center, everything is easily walkable.

The guy at the reception made us feel very welcome, although the place has a relatively old feeling to it. And I get why someone above said it feels a bit creepy.

But if you're looking for a cheap bed for a night, this is a good choice.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed in this hostel for one night. I didn't really like the road which leads to it, it wasn't very lively, and everything was closed. The house itself is very nice, and the owner was absolutely lovely and very welcoming! :) The hostel is under the reception, offers two five-bed-rooms with comfy beds and a lot of space. The common room, which is also the kitchen, is probably the coziest one I have ever seen in a hostel, thumbs up for that!

The only thing that made me feel very uncomfortable - some might see this as an advantage, though - was the fact that I was alone in the hostel. There was another guest, a girl of my age, but she went out and didn't come back until the next day, which made me worry a little about her. The fact that it would be very easy to get into the room from the street (through the window) and big spiders in the bathroom didn't make it any better.

The feelings I have about this hostel are very mixed, and I feel very sorry for the lovely hostel owner, because of course it had nothing to with him or the hostel itself. So, let's say: this is a lovely hostel, as long as you're not alone and as long as you're not as anxious as I was.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here a couple of years in a row,always found it good with no problems,however this year was a different story,we were met on arrival by a very arrogant security person ,there was a mistake made with our booking ,on their behalf !!,this ignoramus made out that my wife was lying,we never met anything like him !!,we asked to see the manager and he wouldn't come down to talk to us,knowing that they were in the wrong !,.That security person was not the type of person to have out meeting guests on arrival,he alone will close this place down,personally after this experience , i will never stay here again and would advise people to be weary of this place,if you can get a cardboard box on the side of the road you would have a better experience !!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Close by the centre of the city, this guesthouse is in a well preserved older building with clean, modern facilities. Everything worked well. The shower is very small. The wi fi would not work in my room. Breakfast was bountiful. Staff were friendly.
Parking is in an open yard at the rear of the premises.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2014

When we arrived to check in we thought the place was a bit creepy because it was old and smelled bad. The owners were not welcoming at all. They didn’t expect us to arrive because they had lost our reservation. Fortunately we had a copy of it and there was no one in the hostel so they gave us a room but they didn’t let us in until we had paid. They didn’t seem to care about us at all and we didn’t get a smile or even a word in two days.

Even if the kitchen and the common room were fine, all we’ll remember is that weird feeling as if we were in a bad horror movie.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here for one night. It was good for the price. I could see where some people might not like it, as the rooms are a bit outdated. It was chilly out and the room had plenty of heat, and the shower had plenty of warm water. The owners are pleasant and they have parking out back if you have as car as I did. Its in a good location to a short walk to everything you want to do. The breakfast was ok, nothing great, but overall good for the money. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Stevens281
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have stayed at the Portree Guesthouse on several occasions, staying in different rooms as I sometimes travel alone (for work) or with my partner. I have never been disappointed.

It is accurate to say that the Portree Guesthouse has it all - a wonderful, friendly welcome on arrival; very helpful and courteous staff; rooms are clean and well laid out. The location is perfect - close enough to walk from the train / bus stations and also close enough to walk into Waterford city centre (only mere minutes).

There is a private car par; breakfast is made to order and in the sitting-room you can just relax and read the newspapers or enjoy complimentary tea & coffee. If you don't want to dine out there's a kitchen where you can cook your own meals or use the microwave etc....What else can I say about the Portree Guesthouse? It's great value for money and it is certainly my home away from home - I would recommend to anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Simply ask Christopher (the manager) and I have no doubts that he would do whatever he can to help...