“Well maintained but signage let's it down”

John F. Kennedy Arboretum
Ranked #12 of 115 things to do in County Wexford
Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Well maintained but signage let's it down”
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We visited with 2 adults and two young children, we were given a map but preferred to wander the paths without it relying on signposts for directions. We followed the signs for the lake but ended up at a 4 way junction with no indication of which way the lake was, we ended up turning back (we would have continued if not with kids). We did not bother trying the A/V devices after reading other reviews saying they did not work.

I was a bit puzzled but open minded as to why the park is named after JFK. After visiting the JFK visitor centre I was none the wiser! I guess it was just a random association after JFKs visit to New Ross.

Overall I think this place is well worth a visit on a sunny day but I would give it a miss if raining. If like me you visit on a sunny 25C day I recommend bringing a picnic blanket and take refuge from the sun under a tree for a peaceful afternoon nap :)

Visited July 2013
1 Thank chriscork

Cape Town
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Great park”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The arboretum is an extensive and wonderful garden. We visited with friends and spent the afternoon strolling through it admiring the many varieties on display. Judging by the number of visitors it is a very popular local destination that caters for the whole family.The extensive well kept pathways and treed avenues make it a very pleasant experience.

Visited June 2013
Dublin, Ireland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A bit disappointed !!”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I made a return trip to JFKs arboretum last weekend after a gap of 5 years.My main reason for the visit was because it is the 50th anniversary of JFKs anniversary and was hoping that they had made a special effort to remember this.I have to say that I was a bit disappointed as no effort was made to commemorate this anniversary - the audio visual was not working and there was no one about to even ask.In fact we walked around most of the arboretum and never saw one member of staff or even a park warden to keep an eye on things.While we were there a very large group of adults and arrived together and the noise level was awful and the children were kicking football - something that I am sure isnt allowed as it could damage the plants.The trees and plants are all beautiful to look at but the lack of signs to tell what you are looking at is also very disappointing - this is a simple thing to do but would make such a difference .I know this all sounds a bit negative but my memory from 5 years ago was of a beautiful , tranquil place to enjoy nature and this visit just left me disappointed - maybe its sign of the times !!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank anna1001_13
Waterford
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A Great Day Out”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

What a beautiful place to spend a day. There is a fantastic range of trees and shrubs, its maintained to a very high standard and the walks are the perfect length for every ability as you can cut a route shorter or make it longer depending on your mood. What I love is that dogs are allowed if kept on a leash and this makes it a "must" if you are holidaying in the area with your dog. Across from the main entrance is a roadway up to a viewing point and this is well worth a visit, its like looking at Waterford and Wexford from an airplane. There is no need for a summer day, its wonderful at any time.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank MarieLloyd
Wexford, Ireland
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“A place of solitude and peace”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The arboretum has matured beautifully since it was first set-up and now offers beautiful grounds to lounge about in and enjoy on a fine day. There are trees, flora and fauna to suit all seasons.

The Arboretum is the closest thing to Botanical Gardens in this part of Ireland and comes highly recommended. There is a cost for entering this part of the arboretum.

Across the road from the Arboretum is a free park where you can walk up to the summit and look across five counties (Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wicklow). You can also drive the whole way up to take the view in.

Visited October 2012