We have just spent two rain drenched days at Botleigh Grange Hotel in Southampton to see the P&O cruise ships leave on their 175th anniversary. The first impression when we turned into the drive was very favourable, immaculately manicured grounds surrounding a very imposing and grand looking hotel. Parking right outside, we made our way through the grand entrance doors into another age. We were warmly greeted by smiling faces from the English staff. We had arrived a little early for check-in but were directed to our room without any problems.
The single lift to the top (third) floor was functional but should have been in the Otis Lift Museum!
The room however was a pleasant surprise, large, airy and with a fabulous view of the rain drenched gardens. Lots of original features with cornices, ceiling roses, and wall panels all in good condition. The bed was a standard double but could have been a king size given the size of the room. This did not prevent us getting two good nights sleep though.
We ate in the restaurant on our first night and the set menu was first class. Once again lots of smiling faces and good manners from even more English staff. Drinks were taken in the bar after our meal where we had a good rapport with the staff.
As will all properties of this age, they are a money pit and there were signs, as you looked more closely that lots needs to be spent. In room 34 for instance, the two chairs had collapsed, there was mould in the shower and the wood bath panel had been seriously affected by water.
In the public areas the lift grab rails were hanging off the walls and could have been a problem for anybody relying on them for support and the impressive brass handles on the gents toilet doors were badly tarnished and dirty. We also noticed some crumbling stonework on the garden balustrades (through the rain).
Would we stay there again if in the area, definitely.
Would we recommend Botleigh Grange to others, definitely.
We have never stayed at a Legacy hotel before so can't say if this is typical of the chain but it would be pleased to investigate further.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Botleigh Grange Hotel & Spa is a beautiful country hotel with all the character you would expect from such a grand 17th century building whilst combining traditional ambience with modern facilities.Ideally situated amongst 14 acres of stunning gardens and grounds in Hampshire, this beautiful country house hotel offers you the warmest of welcomes whilst our dedicated staff strive to offer all our guests a level of service that will surprise you. The combination of great service and facilities such as our luxurious Spa, award winning restaurant and spacious bedrooms, including four poster bedrooms, makes Botleigh Grange Hotel the perfect choice for leisure or business (our conferencing facilities being the largest in the south), as well as being a great venue for weddings, with infinite opportunities for photographs in its stunning grounds, which include two lakes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Botleigh Grange Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Legacy Botleigh Grange Hotel
- Legacy Botleigh Grange Southampton
- Botleigh Grange Hotel Hedge End, Hampshire