“Desperate need for update”

Botleigh Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Desperate need for update”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

What I liked. 1. The location is good, just a short hop from the motorway. 2. Really quiet room, I had a good nights sleep. 3. Two lovely comfy armchairs to sink into and watch TV.
What I didn't like. 1. The sign on the front of the building says 'Hampshire Millennium Suite'. I had to run in and see if I was at the hotel, then run back out in the rain to get my bags. 2. Signs to find my room were confusing. They read 5-25 > 10-20< . I was in room 19, so after scratching my head I figured I'd go right (5-25) but eventually ended up at a dead end by what appeared to be a laundry room. Lugging my luggage I later found my room.
3. The bathroom. Peeling paint around the bath and nasty cheap old taps, that had seen better days. It was clean, but unappealing.
4. No wifi. I rang reception and was told it would be on in an hour. That never materialised. No wifi for whole trip. Really really bad I was annoyed as work stopped.
5. Pretty disgusting stains on headboard of bed.
Staff were efficient, but hotel is shabby, in need of serious updates.
I would not stay here again nor recommend it at this stage.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Nonna2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel seems to be stuck in time. Somewhere around the eighties and it feels like nobody has ever done anything since then. Tatty, pain coming off walls, faded pictures on walls, carpets smell a bit, the interior design is really badly worn out. How much can it be to just do new paint in some of the rooms ? It seems to imagine it is a grand stately home though, as the staff attend in what they think is very upper class but actually is far from it. The dining room is one of the most brightly lit dinning rooms I have ever been in, it was more like eating on board a ferry. A few candles and dimmed lights would help hugely. The food is actually very nice but waiting staff are a bit weak. Be aware of ordering room service, I asked for a hot chocolate but was told it would cost me £5 for it to be brought up to my room! I went down to get one but it took a while as "all the machines have been turned off". Our room was not made up the next day but strangely they did bring some new tea bags for the tea service tray but ignored making up the bed. We couldn't watch TV as the remote control only had one battery and then after they brought a new battery it still didn't work so we gave up. Could be a nice place if someone spent some money on paint, some new carpets. Bed was very uncomfortable, you can feel the springs in the mattress, very old.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank LaurieZ80

Travellers are raving about these Hedge End hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I attended a wedding and the reception afterwards on Saturday 14th September. We both had a fantastic day. The staff at Botleigh Grange Hotel were fantastic. The public areas are kept neat and tidy, the toilets were clean and well maintained but i found the reception quite old fashioned and unwelcoming.
Luckily we got away with no rain and found the time to explore the grounds. These are well kept and expansive.
All said we both had a great experience at Botleigh, but we think they should invest some money inthe older parts and maybe give the exterior a lick of paint!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights in this hotel. Firstly it is not 4 star ( 3 at best in my opinion ) I read some of the reviews during my stay and I think all have them are part correct. I do not agree with the reviews of the staff. I found the staff were all friendly welcoming and helpful.
On my first night Sunday I ordered a pizza from room service. It was terrible. Best go out and find a take away. Breakfast was good. Depending on the amount of persons staying it was either buffet or cooked to order for you. If you have booked a wedding hear I imagine it would be a good place as the dining hall was a large clean and bright space. The garden would provide a great place for photos also.
My room was ok bed was comfortable but the view from room 29 is not good so avoid if you can. There were little niggles which bother me like loose handles on the wardrobe this would be a five minute job to fix but clearly by the wear on the wardrobe this had been loose for some time. My room was clean. No writing paper provided which was strange. No safe either. This hotel was also the warmest place I have ever stayed. Windows I had constantly open and I made use of the fan in the wardrobe for some time. As with other reviews you may have read the plumbing was a little antiquated.
The pool and spa were excellent a nice place to spend some time. Sauna and pool very good but steam room was out of action and there was a sign saying they were doing some upgrading.
To sum up. For a million pounds you could buy a brand new home on a gated development. Or you could buy a small manor house where you would bang your head on the beams and the plumbing and electrics would be from the dark ages. Well I would buy the manor house every time. Botleigh is not the holiday inn but in a way I liked that and at £82 per night BandB it's pretty good value.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Great looking hotel and really friendly staff.

I didn't use the restaurant but ate in the bar. The food was good and the service great.

This is a typical old country house hotel, old fashioned with largish rooms.

My room wax OK but the bathroom let it down. There was a lot of mould and mildew around the shower area an the shower head. This is my big turn off for me so I can't rate his more than average.

Nice grounds and location.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
guernsey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. The food is good and the staff are friendly. Free wifi. For £85 for a Southampton stopover it is the best place I have found. Especially good as it is out of the centre so easy to find.

Room Tip: Room 25 is nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GsyReviewer101
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Don't take any notice of bad reviews of this hotel. I read them a few hours before leaving home (having booked the hotel back in March!) and shouldn't have done so. They ruined my journey down! The hotel is old and does need some refurbishment. This did not detract from our stay at all. The room was huge, with two double beds, and good sized bathroom, a decent TV, all the facilities you could want. The staff were great without exception. We had two undisturbed night's sleep, good breakfasts, wonderful relaxing gardens and bar/lounge to read the papers in. Good choice of bar food (we didn't want the more formal evening meal). We never made it as far as the Spa because we were so relaxed in the actual hotel. Free wifi throughout the entire hotel was great. I booked this hotel because of it's location - very near the Ageas Cricket Ground. Saw Australia v England T20 on Thursday evening. Reception booked us a taxi to take us to the ground and it was an extremely easy 1 mile or so walk back. Would stay again. Good price too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7

Been to Botleigh Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!