“Wonderful weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Wonderful weekend”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Like most potential guests we read the reviews on here prior to booking, and as always after my visit I do find myself puzzled by some of the comments.

I can only speak as I find and we had a most wonderful stay at this hotel.
Myself, ,my sister and 2 close friends booked a spa package for £89 each, this included, overnight stay, use of all the spa facilities, a 6 course dinner, along with glass of complimentary champagne, and breakfast the next morning.

The receptionist on arrival was lovely and couldn't have been friendlier, or more helpful. Yes the hotel was slightly dated but it added to the character of it. The rooms were spacious and catered to all our needs. The spa was lovely. We are frequent visitors to spa hotels and this spa was most impressive. The staff in the spa were welcoming and very friendly.

The 6 course meal was outstanding and in comfortable surroundings. We were served by 2 young ladies Jade G and Meghan and we were very impressed with the service and their friendly dispositions. The breakfast in the morning I also could not fault.
The next day we spent more time relaxing in the spa, then coffee, sat in the grounds.
Our whole experience was delightful. The only negative was a wedding taking place with, shall we say some guests that were not very respectful to other staying guests . We arrived to a plume of smoke with people standing smoking at the entrance. This wasn't the fault of the hotel and in fairness they were extremely apologetic and did all they could to make amends. I highly recommend this hotel . The deal we had was superb value and as 4 ladies that visit spa hotels on a regular basis the Botleigh grange is most certainly high on our return/recommend list. We enjoyed every second and hope to be back in the near future . Thank you

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Sorry to say this was very average hotel.

If you like cheap tasting wedding style food dressed up as quality food this is for you. One night away for a business trip was enough.

Very dated hotel, paint peeling off wall, dirty.

Fan in toilet was do loud it sounded like a plane.

Restaurant was like a school hall with chairs. Service fine but good was deeply disappointing. Tasted like very cheap wedding food.

Sorry but must try harder.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil H

Travellers are raving about these Hedge End hotels

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

We booked the girlie night in package as a surprise for a friends birthday. We were unsure of total numbers but the hotel were great before hand confirming over email all the smaller details we wanted to check with them. The package was great value for money £99 per person got you bed and breakfast. A treatment in the spa, platters of food served to your room at dinner time, ice cream and hot choc. You also got a glass of bubbles and you could have a DVD player in your room with a great selection of films to watch.

The spa was lovely and clean. It looked new and everyone commented on how relaxing it was. Again the spa were brilliant before the day in booking in our treatments.

The hotel is a quaint hotel with lots of traditional features. It's not a modern hotel but that added to its charm. We had a big triple room for our night in. We all arrived in our pjs and settled down for our night in. The platters were huge followed by the ice cream and hot choc. The next morning for breakfast there was a great selection and they had a table laid up ready for our party. We all had a brilliant time and I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

What I liked. 1. The location is good, just a short hop from the motorway. 2. Really quiet room, I had a good nights sleep. 3. Two lovely comfy armchairs to sink into and watch TV.
What I didn't like. 1. The sign on the front of the building says 'Hampshire Millennium Suite'. I had to run in and see if I was at the hotel, then run back out in the rain to get my bags. 2. Signs to find my room were confusing. They read 5-25 > 10-20< . I was in room 19, so after scratching my head I figured I'd go right (5-25) but eventually ended up at a dead end by what appeared to be a laundry room. Lugging my luggage I later found my room.
3. The bathroom. Peeling paint around the bath and nasty cheap old taps, that had seen better days. It was clean, but unappealing.
4. No wifi. I rang reception and was told it would be on in an hour. That never materialised. No wifi for whole trip. Really really bad I was annoyed as work stopped.
5. Pretty disgusting stains on headboard of bed.
Staff were efficient, but hotel is shabby, in need of serious updates.
I would not stay here again nor recommend it at this stage.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Nonna2011
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel seems to be stuck in time. Somewhere around the eighties and it feels like nobody has ever done anything since then. Tatty, pain coming off walls, faded pictures on walls, carpets smell a bit, the interior design is really badly worn out. How much can it be to just do new paint in some of the rooms ? It seems to imagine it is a grand stately home though, as the staff attend in what they think is very upper class but actually is far from it. The dining room is one of the most brightly lit dinning rooms I have ever been in, it was more like eating on board a ferry. A few candles and dimmed lights would help hugely. The food is actually very nice but waiting staff are a bit weak. Be aware of ordering room service, I asked for a hot chocolate but was told it would cost me £5 for it to be brought up to my room! I went down to get one but it took a while as "all the machines have been turned off". Our room was not made up the next day but strangely they did bring some new tea bags for the tea service tray but ignored making up the bed. We couldn't watch TV as the remote control only had one battery and then after they brought a new battery it still didn't work so we gave up. Could be a nice place if someone spent some money on paint, some new carpets. Bed was very uncomfortable, you can feel the springs in the mattress, very old.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank LaurieZ80
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I attended a wedding and the reception afterwards on Saturday 14th September. We both had a fantastic day. The staff at Botleigh Grange Hotel were fantastic. The public areas are kept neat and tidy, the toilets were clean and well maintained but i found the reception quite old fashioned and unwelcoming.
Luckily we got away with no rain and found the time to explore the grounds. These are well kept and expansive.
All said we both had a great experience at Botleigh, but we think they should invest some money inthe older parts and maybe give the exterior a lick of paint!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights in this hotel. Firstly it is not 4 star ( 3 at best in my opinion ) I read some of the reviews during my stay and I think all have them are part correct. I do not agree with the reviews of the staff. I found the staff were all friendly welcoming and helpful.
On my first night Sunday I ordered a pizza from room service. It was terrible. Best go out and find a take away. Breakfast was good. Depending on the amount of persons staying it was either buffet or cooked to order for you. If you have booked a wedding hear I imagine it would be a good place as the dining hall was a large clean and bright space. The garden would provide a great place for photos also.
My room was ok bed was comfortable but the view from room 29 is not good so avoid if you can. There were little niggles which bother me like loose handles on the wardrobe this would be a five minute job to fix but clearly by the wear on the wardrobe this had been loose for some time. My room was clean. No writing paper provided which was strange. No safe either. This hotel was also the warmest place I have ever stayed. Windows I had constantly open and I made use of the fan in the wardrobe for some time. As with other reviews you may have read the plumbing was a little antiquated.
The pool and spa were excellent a nice place to spend some time. Sauna and pool very good but steam room was out of action and there was a sign saying they were doing some upgrading.
To sum up. For a million pounds you could buy a brand new home on a gated development. Or you could buy a small manor house where you would bang your head on the beams and the plumbing and electrics would be from the dark ages. Well I would buy the manor house every time. Botleigh is not the holiday inn but in a way I liked that and at £82 per night BandB it's pretty good value.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,679 reviews

Been to Botleigh Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!