“Unique Experience”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
Midleton, Ireland
“Unique Experience”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Attended a wedding here and stayed for four nights before embarking on a sea cruise. My car was parked at the hotel for the twelve days of the cruise. It was good to know that it was in such hands.
Excellent cuisine available.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a single night stay at the Botley Grange Hotel at the last minute via Laterooms for £70 for room only. This was apparently discounted from £170.

I think that £70 is far nearer what I would be happy to pay to stay here. It is set in nice surroundings and has a good professional but relaxed atmosphere. Like most hotels of its age it is showing that age in places, but I suppose it is to be expected.

Staff were very helpful, room was comfortable and spacious, with tea and coffee making facilities plus a small selection of complimentary toiletries. Beds very soft (which I like), and no real complaints anywhere.

Breakfast was nice, but expensive at £14.95 for cooked and £9.95 for continental, if it wasn't included in your room rate.

Only reason the hotel doesn't get 5 stars from me was the fact it is a little dated, but I enjoyed my stay all the same.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited this hotel for an afternoon tea, it was such a lovely relaxing experience. The staff were welcoming on our arrival and very attentative during the duration of our afternoon. The sandwiches and cakes were very good, a great varied selection. The drinks were regularly replenished, thank you to all the staff, you were all very busy but provided excellent service and made the day very special

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for one night in a triple room (double + single bed), early in July after a trip to Paulton's theme park. To be honest, I kind of stumbled upon this place when the usual Premier Inns/Holiday Inns/Hilton started to look a bit expensive for my liking. We paid £100 for the night here on a room only basis - a little bit more than most of the aforementioned rather generic places but I just got a nice feeling about this place.

I did study previous reviews and get where some of them are coming from when they say this place is 'dated' and need a 'refurb'. If you are used to places with all the 'mod cons' and immaculate décor, this place may not be to your taste. To give an example, there is no smart, state of the art reception. As you walk into the hotel you find the reception desk tucked away to the right hand side. Once the formalities are completed the receptionist reaches into a drawer a pulls out your room key. Yes, I did say room KEY. I guess there are no key cards in this place.

So we made our way to our room - up some stairs, and then some more stairs, along a corridor which could do with a lick of paint and then down some stairs. And then along some more corridor. You get the idea...

So why give this place 5 out of 5. Well the room was great. Yes it was a bit 1980s, possibly 1970s. But we did not mind - it was big, had 2 comfy chairs as well as a table with a desk. The bathroom was large. It had a flat screen tv to watch the world cup on. There was free wifi. The complimentary tea and coffee was in ample supply (I can't think of any other hotel lately which have provided earl grey tea as well as the normal stuff).

The Spa and pool at the hotel was great - seemed modern and on a par with any offering I have experienced at the likes of Marriott, Hilton or Holiday Inn in recent months. We ate in the bar and the food was great. The grounds are stunning - if you have young kids they can run and run (as long as you watch them down near the lake, obviously). To the front of the hotel there are one of two animals (a couple of horses and a brown hairy cow) to have a look at which my son also enjoyed.

So in summary, I can see why a few give this place less than complimentary reviews but we loved the charm of this place and if we head down south in the future, this will be the first place I have a look for to see if I can get a room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew P
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The rooms are very dated and could do with some significant improvements. Visible damp problem in corner of the room, incomplete room service menu in room, clueless staff and an invoice missing the deposit paid (making business expense claims difficult) all mean I would not stay here again. I was expecting a country hotel with some nice luxurious touches, instead I was disappointed and couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sophie W

Travellers are raving about these Hedge End hotels

London
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We paid £95 for a double with breakfast via booking.com which in our opinion was money well spent. Our room (57) was v spacious with a living area, powerful shower and a bath which was a bonus. It was in the quiet part of the hotel as our room was off on its own from the main corridor so we weren't disturbed by other hotel guests returning. Although our view wasn't that great (overlooked the side car park) it was v peaceful and we slept well. Staff were friendly and we would return here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fmhlewis
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights from 8th June. What a excellent choice it proved to be.
As you approach the hotel from the long sweeping drive, this imposing old manor house greats you.
Check In was very swift and we were given room 10. A massive room that over looked the stunning grounds. The room was well appointed with a excellent bathroom and very comfy bed, huge bathroom with a full size bath and a superb shower.

We eat in the restaurant on the 1st night and I can only say that the chef is some sort of genius, the food was outstanding (I had the Lamb 3 ways, and the Lamb Suet Pudding was amazing). The menu in the restaurant didn't have a massive choice, but that's good as that meant they could concentrate on making what they did offer outstanding. The restaurant wasn't overly cheap (£61.00 for 2 main courses, 2 deserts and a bottle of wine) but I've paid more for less quality.
Breakfast was of a very good standard.

On the 2nd night we eat in the bar and the food was as good, slightly cheaper and a bigger choice.

The hotel was only a 15 minute walk from Hedge End railway station which has the main line services to Southampton and Portsmouth. Also it was about the same walk (in other direction) to Hedge End village where we found a lovely little pub, but there was also a curry house nearby.

The hotel also boast's a superb Pool (one of the best hotel pools I've seen for a long while) and Spa, I had a wonderful 30 minute Hot Stones Shoulder & Neck Massage, which was superb and very reasonably priced at £35.00.

Some reviews have said that the hotel was looking "tired" and "dated" and while it's fair to say it didn't sparkle and gleam throughout some of those comments are a little unfair. You'd expect a hotel of that age to show some signs of wear. But there was evidence of working being done to update it.

We had one problem on one morning when I turned the room lights on and there was a loud bang and all the lights blew. We told reception this on way to breakfast, by the time we got back the lights were back and the blown bulb replaced some 30 minutes later. Really Top Service

One niggle, and this is purely personal choice, but I really do wish hotel would stop supplying only Whole Milk on the in-room tea tray. At least put a choice of semi-skimmed on there as well please.

But a wonderful choice of hotel, yes I would stay there again and I would recommend anyone to as well. It's quite, high quality, has wonderful staff and is a very good escape from a town centre hotel and if they could get air-con installed in the bedroom's it would be even better

Room Tip: Any Room would be good