“Lovely hotel and a good price.”

Botleigh Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My partner and I stayed here for one night, The hotel is very grand looking and has old fashioned decor to a certain extent but its in keeping with the hotel and surroundings so it kind of suits it. Check in time isnt until 2pm which I felt was a little late but I called them prior to arriving and they were more than accomodating in letting us check in early. I also asked for a late check out the day we were leaving and again they were absolutely fine with this. The hotel was clean and tidy and the room was a very good size and had a good size bathroom which included a bath and a shower. The hotel was very peaceful and we heard no noise from other guests or any staff. The breakfast in the morning was lovely and the facilities at the hotel and grounds are a great way to relax and you are not rushed into leaving. Overall we felt this hotel was great for the price we paid especially with it having a spa and I wouldnt mind going back there to use the spa facilites and to relax. The only thing I didnt like was the food was quite expensive for what you got (we had a couple of things from the bar) for example a sandwich costs around £7.50. All in all I would definately stay here again.

Reviewed 18 April 2010

We booked this hotel even though some of the reviews we read were negative so we weren't expecting too much for our £125 including Dinner, Bed and Breakfast. We were greeted by a helpful friendly receptionist, went to the room which was well appointed and large with a wonderful view, dinner was superb and the service faultless and in the morning breakfast was also excellent. The Hotel is worth a visit, relaxed and excellent value for money. I have paid double the price and not been half as impressed as we were with this Hotel.

Reviewed 16 April 2010

We got a last minute deal so didn't know what to expect. The hotel was set in lovely grounds far enough off the main road that you couldn't really tell it was there.
Our room was a clean and a lovely size with plently of room to chill out in.
The spa was perfect - better than expected. It had a medium sized pool that was very clean and a good sized jaccuzi plus steam room & sauna so you could spend a good few hours there just enjoying the facilities. My fiance had a massage and the massage rooms and relaxtion areas were lovely.
We didn't eat there other than breakfrast which was ok. The buffet was really nice with plenty of choice but the poached and scrambled eggs weren't great (a bit sloppy and tasteless). We walked into Botely (15-20 mins away) to eat one night it a lovely pub, called The Bugle, that did lebenese food and it was gorgeous - great real ales too!
The staff were very polite and helpful and we were really pleased with the hotel and would definately look at going back if we could get another last minute deal

Reviewed 15 April 2010

Very comfortable, large clean room. Lovely spa facilities (gym small - free weights and CV machines). Very nice grounds. Good breakfast. Excellent value. Very helpful staff.

Reviewed 1 April 2010

Not our first visit on special double offer - £89.50 BB and Evening Meal. Previous visits had included full english breakfast and an allowance of £21 per person off the restaurant menu. On booking this time the boooking page, on their website, clearly states continental breakfast, Ok so they have made a reduction on the previous deal.

However, on arriving for our evening meal we were given a much reduced menu - crunch buster - set 3 course meal with choice of three option for each course. Chicken Pie, Smoked Haddock or Pasta. When queried we were told ,after various discussions between the staff, that we could order from the main menu and would receive a £12 allowance. At this point we spoke to the duty manager who advised us that this was correct. In desperation we ordered our meal stating that we would speak with the manager the following day.

A bad start to what was a weekend away for my husbands birthday. Before the following evenings meal we asked to speak to the manager. The duty manager from the previous evening came to speak to us and said she had spoken to the General Manager and that was the offer, nothin else would be offered. We stated our previous stays and that their booking procedure had clearly stated a change in terms for breakfast but not for the meal. The General Manager arrived and stated that this deal had never had an allowance of £21 and suggested that if we were unhappy that perhaps we would like to leave. Not sure but I think his name was Basil Fawlty! Eventually it was agreed that we would receive a £21 per person allowance per evening for our meals. On check out our bills were incorrect and we had to work out ourselves our meal charges - another Fawlty moment.
Its a shame because we had stayed on a number of occasions previously and had always enjoyed our stay. If their booking from had clearly stated that apart from the change to Continental Breakfast it had also stated that the evening meal was from a reduced menu or the amount of the allowance I would have known that this had also changed and could have made an informed decision as to whether I wanted to stay on these terms.

On a brighter note a flyer at reception advertised a special deal for the easter weekend - 2 nights BB and evening meal and a third nights BB free for £99 per room per night. Out of interest I asked reception what meals were included - the answer was full english breakfast and £29 per person per night allowance from the restaurant menu. A bargain if thats what you get!

Would I visit again?? Not sure - location is good, spa is great.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Botleigh Grange hotel is a part Legacy Hotels chain. I tried to book my stay on the Legacy Hotels website. I found it rather confusing to navigate through and cancellation policies were not cleared. Because of that I asked the company travel agency to make the booking which was good as the agent got a rate lower than any rate on the website (through a corporate arrangement). The check-in process was smooth and I found the room OK: clean with décor matching the hotel style and ambiance. The in-room hospitality tray had a small selection of teas, biscuits and a French press for coffee rather then usual instant coffee. A real treat! The indoor swimming pool is nice, showers and changing rooms are modern and sparkling clean. Breakfast was a bit of disappointment: although the usual selection was offered it really lacked the “class”. The bar in the evening was not too busy but two barmaids seemed unable to cope. We waited ages before we could order our drinks. We had dinner outside the hotel, the front desk staff was very helpful recommending a restaurant nearby and making the necessary arrangements. The WiFi connection was free and worked without any problems. On check-out I was charged an extra fee of £3.95 because I paid with a credit card (debit card users are not charged). The lady at the front desk informed me that the fee was imposed by the Legacy Hotels chain. A large sign at the front desk warns unsuspecting customers about the credit fee. Still, I find the concept of charging the customer for credit card transaction ludicrous.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank PrincePolo
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on a special dinner, bed and breakfast rate of £69.50 per room per night. (same price as standard B&B normally)

We arrived late on the first night and there was some confusion over the booking, but a room was allocated to us with assurances that the paperwork would be dealt with in the morning.

The room was a long way from reception and we had to trek up a staircase, along a corridoor and the back down some more stairs, a real confusing maze! Our room was next to the emergency exit onto the carpark, which proved handy when bringing the bags in, I wouldn't have liked to have to drag bags up and down stairs!!

The room itself was small but perectly formed. My only complaints being that the bed had a blanket and not a duvet, and that the bath was a little grimey around the edge and therefore I couldn't have a soak in the tub!

I ordered a beer and glass of wine at the bar which came to just short of £10!! Also stopped
by reception to get some more teabags (there were only two provided on the tray in the
room)

Breakfast was lovely, we had full English which was ordered and cooked freshly. There was a good selection of cereals and pastries available on the buffet.

We had the evening meal that night, which was 3 courses and was one of the best meals I have had in a long time, it was beautiful.

Overall it was a brilliant stay and was great value for money. Cleaning in rooms could do with some improvement but I suspect it may have been an issue with one particular cleaner not been too attentive as our tea tray wasn't restocked fully and the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly, rather than it being a hotel norm.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
New Place Hotel
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Been to Botleigh Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!