“Dissatisfied, and disappointed”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hedge End
Montana Guest House
Ranked #4 of 4 Hedge End B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2013

When we arrived we were quite surprised how tried the whole place looked, the pictures on the website are misleading, we booked one single and what we believed was one double. The single en-suite shower room was ok apart from the black mood in the tiles, the double room turned into a twin room, with two very narrow single beds with hard pillowes, and covers that looked like they were years old, toilet seat was broken (but to be fair I did not complain as was distracted by rest of place). Breakfast was lovely though, the gentleman was very pleasant and food was great. When we paid by credit card the owner took the card to another room and put it through as a telephone booking, when I asked why, she said something about not having a spare line, which I find hard to believe when running a business, the rates on the website are different (by not much) although she did say there is a price list in the entrance which does not help to see after you arrive.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Nice b & b, very friendly owners, very clean and tidy. A little dated perhaps but fine. I had a small twin room at the rear which only had a sink, but I was a last minute boooking. A bath/shower room/toilet was only a few steps away, agin clean and all worked well. Many other rooms were en-suite and there were ground floor rooms available. It was on a bus route and from a short diistance away were buses to Southampton city centre, Fareham and Eastleigh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed two nights in this bed and breakfast and must say that Wendy did try her best but the whole place was tired and dated. The mattress was clean and fairly new but the pillows had seen their best, crisp pillowcases but sheets and duvet cover was very old and tired, certainly hadn't seen an iron. We stayed on a very hot day and night so had to have the windows open, the place is on a busy main road through Hedge End and traffic was noisy enough to keep us awake. It is a real shame about this place as it could be so nice even though most rooms do not have en suite. The cooked breakfast was well cooked and well presented although the tomato sauce bottle had black mould on and could have done with a wipe. Cereal choice was good but out of large boxes so who knows who had gone before you. Well tried to Wendy but I can't give this place full marks.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room to avoid road traffic noise in summer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stephquilt
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at the Montana over a 3/4 year period, and were remembered by Wendy again this time. A very warm welcome, as always. Rooms are clean and comfortable, breakfast is perfect, and nothing is too much trouble. I would certainly recommend the Montana, and we will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I wholeheartedly recommend the Montana Guest House for business and pleasure.

I've recently finished an extended stay of 15 months while I was working for a company in the Botleigh Grange Business park, a short ten minute walk away.

During my time there, I have experienced all of the rooms on offer and although I preferred particular ones, every room was maintained to a high standard.

If you prefer to pay extra for the sterile environment and enjoy the impersonal service that I have experienced at some of the more well known hotels, then Montana Guest House may not be for you. However, if you want to stay in comfortable accommodation with a friendly, personal service then the Montana Guest House offers very good value for money.

Jim and Wendy were always welcoming and friendly, making every effort to make my stay with them as comfortable, and stress-free, as possible. As has been said before, this is very important for those of us that work away from home and family. They will be my first call when I visit Hedge End/Botley again.

PS. I've just read the poor review by Goodwido. In defence, I would say that every hotel/guest house experiences problems and Montana is no different. Any problems I experienced were dealt with quickly and efficiently. As far as the availability of cereal is concerned, I'd say that these people didn't look hard enough, or simply didn't ask! Cereal was always on offer during my stay, including this week. If people want modern accommodation then they should dip deeper into their pockets and go to the readily available, more expensive and less personal, hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I booked a weekend stay at Montana whilst I was visiting my family in a nearby village.

Wendy and Jim were wonderful hosts. I arrived quite late on the train and they offered to collect me from the train station which I thought was very kind.

When I arrived I found my room to be clean and comfortable. The bed was particularly comfortable. I had two very peaceful nights sleep here.

The breakfast was very good; Wendy and Jim were attentative and the food was great.

I would definately recommend Montana and I have already booked to stay here for my next visit. My advide to anyone reading this would be to book early as I can imagine they get booked up quickly!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lucy R
Reviewed 23 September 2012

When I read the previous reviews it's like they were describing a completely different guest house to the one we stayed at! The negative: Our room was damp, freezing cold and there was an odd smell. This place probably looked decent back in the 1980's when I imagine it was last decorated. Now it just looks shabby, tired and in desperate need of a refurb. The breakfast was bad and there was no option to have cereal. The positive: the owners were friendly and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goodwido

Been to Montana Guest House? Share your experiences!