“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Ross
Dublin
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The staff at the hotel are all very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. A shout out to Mairead and Monika for fantastic service during breakfast and dinner. Martin at reception was a delight. Very helpful and full of chat a real people person. All the staff are a credit to the general manager and indeed the G.M. Bette Marie is a credit to the hotel. We had a problem which was brought to Bette Marie's attention, it was sorted out within a couple of minutes and the outcome exceeded or expectations. My husband and I would like to thank all the staff and management for such a wonderful stay. We will definitely be back, god love ye.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
bettiemarie, General Manager at Brandon House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Silvia M,

First I want to thank you sincerely for taking to time to review the Brandon House Hotel. We really appreciate your kind words and feedback. On a personal note it was a pleasure to get to speak with you during your stay.

I was overjoyed to read your comments about all the staff they really are what makes the Brandon House Hotel so special, Monika and Mairead in the restaurant and Martin on the front desk were delighted to know they made a great impression.

We certainly look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you both back with us in the future.

Best Regards

Bettie Marie Burger Smit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Moira Carroll - -just a note to say a BIG THANK YOU for the support and assistance yourself, Billy and the entire staff provided in making Mam's 80th birthday party a huge success. The room was stunning, the tables were most elegant and the food was exceptional. Everyone was raving about the food - both in terms of quality and presentation and it certainly far exceeded our expectation. The entire team of staff were also delightful and Billy (Folely ??) made the evening work - without his logistical support I think I would have lost my mind - -I now completely understand why people hire party planners. :-)

Thank you to you too for guiding me through the preparations for the party – I am deeply grateful. As with all family events it was considered a success when no blood was spilled… :-) ! Seriously though, my family was delighted with the entire evening and very impressed with the quality of everything.

Kudos to the Brandon House team!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Barrow River provide an excellent view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
bettiemarie, General Manager at Brandon House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear DrTina2014,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your excellent review and kind words, after your recent celebrations at the Brandon House Hotel.

The whole team and myself were thrilled to read that we helped in making your party such a success. Personally I was elated to read that your guests were raving about the quality of the food, and found the entire team to be delightful, I am thrilled to see that they are keeping up the fantastic work. Moira and Billy we're delighted to see they got a special mention and say it truly was a pleasure in helping you with your planning.

We are all so happy that your family were delighted with the entire evening. We certainly enjoyed having you all here and thank you for choosing the Brandon House Hotel.

Thank you again for your support, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bettie Marie Burger Smit.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Just had lunch at the Brandon house hotel. Firstly the carvery chef was so rude, he shouldn't be serving guests with an attitude like that. I had soup, which was nice, but as I was drinking my cup of tea, I couldn't believe what I witnessed in the carvery room, the waitress were going around putting their fingers into the food and picking at everything!!! Was so so unprofessional and very unhygienic!!! There were still customers eating, and they were not disguising themselves at all, fair enough it was lunch time and they were due a break, but still so unhygienic!!!

• Stayed February 2014
bettiemarie, General Manager at Brandon House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Joanne

Firstly allow me to thank you for your review, and most importantly taking your experience into consideration still allowing for 4 stars. We truly appreciate that.

That said, what you experienced is most disturbing, and needless to say not what would be condoned in any way, so I hope you will please take up my request to contact me directly so that I can investigate this further.

Our carvery in particular is our most valued experience, and is a firm favourite amongst locals and visitors alike, so I am most perturbed to read your review and to see that a couple of individuals have let the team down.

My email address is bettiemarie@brandonhousehotel.ie - and I ask again that you please contact me directly asap.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I truly look forward to hearing from you and to ensure that we can only improve in every way.
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here for a night with my boyfriend for Valentine's day. I chose this place cause. The reviews seem to be great. We decided to go for the premium room.

When we arrived the signs were quite bad and had to drive around a bit before we found the reception carpark.

Check in was grand, receptionist kind of made an awkward joke that she got nothing for Valentine's day but we just laughed it off!

On the way to the room, noticed that the hotel is starting to get a bit warn out looking. Big burn mark or something on the carpet beside our room.

Room was nice. Bathroom was really small which I wasn't expecting and when I peeked into other rooms which were less expensive but still similar in size, we felt like we'd gotten a bit ripped off.

Decided to go on the 5 senses walk. Such a ridiculous thing to advertise considering the only sense we felt was disappointment! Wish the receptionist had of warned us before we wasted our time.

Went to the pool which was grand.

Ordered room service which saved the day! Chicken was amazing!!

While trying to sleep we noticed a humming noise that didn't stop. The room was also too warm so had to leave Windows open. Also walls are really thin, so could hear people chatting and the tele. Worst was when people were running around the hall shouting and slamming doors. Suppose was to be expected on a Saturday night at half 1 in the morning!

Breakfast the next day was nice but the coffee was awful at the buffet and in the room!

Overall, I've experienced a lot better for less money and was disappointed that we chose this place. However, the food is lovely and the staff are friendly but wasn't the romantic night away I was hoping for.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear IrishRMH

I wish to thank you for your detailed review, and am saddened that you feel we might not have lived up to your expectations.

Firstly, allow me to say that our staff are our most valued asset, and if you found them to be friendly at all times, they have not let us down. Also, over the years we have built up a local and indeed regional reputation for our food offerings, and again I am grateful that you pointed out that on that front we did not disappoint (bar the coffee of course)

As for the rest, we are very conscious of the signage, and will be addressing the signage on our grounds - however, the road signage is an ongoing quest with road authorities. Due to the fact that the hotel is variety of old and new buildings, we have recently experienced fluctuations with our new heating system, and these are being addressed, so my sincerest apologies that on the night you found it too hot.

We are constantly reinvesting in the hotel, and are currently in the process of completing the next phase to our bedrooms, and indeed also some of the bathrooms. We are "opening" up the bathrooms, and they are within classification sizes, so hopefully when you return you will find them to your satisfaction.

As for all the alternate offerings like leisure centre and 5 senses Walk, please allow me to point out that the 5 senses walk is one of our pride and joys, but over the past winter it has taken a bit of a beating, and it was difficult for us to maintain it to the standard that we like. That said it truly in summer is a wondrous little path to walk off dinner and breakfast, and again a firm favourite with both locals and guests, and hope that you will revisit to see for yourselves.

All in all I am sorry that you did not have the type of visit you would have liked, but hope with my preceding commentary you might see your way clear to give us another opportunity to try and charm you, and that on your next visit you will truly experience what we like to call Soulful Hospitality.
uk
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Lovely clean rooms great spa on site with good facilities.Food excellent weather in the restaurant or bar meal.My only complaint is the bar service it is so slow, I stayed there 12 months ago and that was my only complaint then, so it has not improved!

Room Tip: all rooms are good and there are plenty of ground floor rooms if you find it easier
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ukgriff

Thank you for your succinct and favourable review. I'm delighted to see that on almost all fronts we have maintained our standards and that we can count you as one of our many return and loyal guests.

That said, I am disappointed that we have not improved on our bar food service, and it would be amiss of me to say that I am unaware that we might have some service issues in the Library Bar on occasion. We are constantly striving to improve in this one department, and will continue to do so until we get it spot on.

I look forward to your next visit, and ask that you please look me up personally to give me some feedback on whether we have achieved that goal or are moving in the right direction.

Thank you again for your support, and look forward to meeting you.
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Recently attended an Active Retirement Party for about 70 people at this Hotel. The menu was excellent and offered a great choice for all. The food, when it arrived, was even better than on a previous occasion, was also excellent. The Staff were hardworking and helpful. Great to see how wonderful some venues are to more mature guests. The decor in the function room, however, is tired and needs a little TLC. This Hotel also does a daily Carvery which offers incredible food at a reasonable price. So, no need to be hungry in New Ross.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sheeba

I note from your profile that you are a serious reviewer, and therefor your kind words mean so much.

I'm delighted that you and your "crew" had a great time here with your Active Retirement function, and yes, we value our more mature guests very much.

As for the ballroom looking tired, you will be glad to hear that the wallpaper paste is literally drying as I write, and that with your next visit I would appreciate some feedback on what you think of the refurbishment of the ballroom. We like it very much - but then again - we might be a bit biased ;-)

Thank you again for taking the time to validate us, and we look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel as a one night break and to have a spa treatment to unwind.
Upon arrival, there was a very friendly blond girl on reception who was charming and inviting and very informative.
My room was 204, a good size with everything you need. Beautiful views of the water. I got room service of a steak and a dessert and they were delivered promptly by a nice young man. The steak was slightly overcooked but the flavour was so good that I didn't mind.

I later called for ice and water to be brought up and the girl who delivered it (young with glasses) was extremely pleasant.

Breakfast was standard. Good variety on the buffet. I wasn't very hungry so I didn't eat much.

The hotel itself is quite nice. Big bar area that serves food and a beautifully set restaurant. Plush couches in the lobby with a roaring fire.
There is also a pool which I didn't get a chance to sample.

I checked out and went to the spa where I had a treatment booked. It was my first ever time in a spa and I was blown away. The receptionist showed me around and was very pleasant. Even when I was leaving she remembered my name which I thought was a nice touch (girl with glasses)

I enjoyed the sauna, solarium and relaxed for an hour before my treatment. Someone came and got me then and brought me up to the treatment room.
I was looked after by Kelly who couldn't have been nicer. I have eczema and I was a little nervous about how the treatment would effect my skin but she was very reassuring about it and told me to tell her if I felt any discomfort.
I got a coconut scrub which was recommended for me when I made the reservation. I thought it was the perfect treatment for my skin and afterwards I felt so fresh and relaxed.
Kelly was very professional and easy to talk to. Even the little things like making sure I wasn't too exposed under the towel. She turned around when I had to get up off the table to shower down, she even turned on the shower for me which I thought was an extra special touch.

Overall I had a great experience for a solo trip. I will definitely return. The spa sold it for me.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank iloveservice
Dear iloveservice

What a wonderful, detailed, well written and superb review.

Without going into too much detail, I am aware that you would be from the industry, which makes your review so much more special as I believe that you would have the highest standards, and that you found us to not disappoint in any department during your recent visit truly fills us all with immense joy, and reiterates why we are all in the hospitality business in the first place - to please.

Kelly is overwhelmed with your personal mention, and we hope that you will spread the word about the Solas Croi Spa, as we still believe that it is one of our hidden treasures, and that more people should know of the great facility in this region.

All in all, bar the one or two very constructive points of improvement, thank you so much for your review, and please do look me up next time you come to visit, as I would be delighted to discuss your experience in more detail, and if you have any suggestions.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Ross
Riverbank House Hotel
Riverbank House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Wexford
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Brandon House Hotel? Share your experiences!