“Even with young kids in tow, I actually had a proper break...”

and 1 more site!
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rosslare
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We have just returned from a five night stay at Kelly's. It was our first visit and we really went on the recommendation of an old family friend who stayed there with his own children twenty years ago.
Our children are 3 and almost 2 so previous holidays have been so exhausting I wondered what was the point? However Kelly's has really thought about how to accommodate families without spoiling the experience of other guests. There is lots for the kids to do, a great kids club, a supervised 'creche' room for the under 5's, special children's tea at 5.30pm followed by a kids' disco. Adults also have the option of eating with their children at 7.30 in the Ivy room, which is separate from the main, fancy restaurant, but still offers the same menu, so you don't feel like a second class citizen! We availed of a trial 'nanny cam' service the hotel was testing out so we could watch our kids in bed via a webcam and ipod set-up and still enjoy the main restaurant on a couple of occasions. Our adjoining rooms were spotless and tastefully furnished and the food was absolutely delicious....I'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KateGormley
bkellyRosslare, General Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Dear kateGorml,
Thank you for your very kind review. I am really glad that you enjoyed your visit and that my team looked after you well. I will pass your compliments on to all the staff especially in the Creche. Delighted that you found the nanny cam good, this is a new product which we are testing out and hope it will be of help to parents with young children.

We look forward to welcoming you back with your family soon.
Kind regards. Bill Kelly

Reviewed 13 May 2011

Having recently become a parent, I was looking forward to Kellys having always read great reviews.

My first impression was poor, as a member of the back office sitting behind reception made a disparaging remark about my daughter. I said nothing but thought it was terribly unprofessional.

Our room was adequate, we were provided with a ripped travel cot, rooms were cleaned daily. Empty water bottles were not replaced.

As a new breastfeeding mother, I had anticipated the baby feeding room to incorporate a chair but the room was galley kitchen sized with only bottle feeding facilities. I decided to take my lead from all the repeat customers with young babies, but I never saw any mother breastfeeding and I looked. The Ivy room was quite open without any semi private nooks and crannies to provide some privacy and usually quite busy so I ended up returning to the bedroom each time. There was no information about breastfeeding only bottle feeding.

I decided to e-mail the owner just to raise this point, as I though it was a constructive, but was suprised that I did not receive a reply, due to the impression I had gotten from various reviews. I don't know if this point has been taken on board.

Dinner in the Ivy room was average (as parents were not allowed to bring children into the restaurant any night. I felt like we were at a wedding as "we had to be out" by 9.30. The menus were clearly designed with a get them out by 9.30 mentality.
There was no lounge area in the hotel which allowed children. I understand bar rules, but as they managed a card room, could they not manage a parents room. Many of the families came with extended generations - which helped, but we had to sit in our room every evening from 9.30 as neither my husband or I wanted to sit alone downstairs while on holidays together.

The spa was lovely as were the pool. Outside the hotel there isn't much to do or see. You need to get in a car and travel.

All in all I don't think I'll be returning for at least 25 years until I'm the target audience.

I would also mention that some of the staff in the creche were lovely.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank freyakitty
bkellyRosslare, General Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2011

Dear Freyakitty,

Thank you for your letter on Trip Advisor and your recent email, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Kelly’s, especially the spa, pool and crèche, although we were very disappointed by a number of your remarks. We employ over 6 staff, just to look after the children and give the parents a little break. I am equally surprised that you mentioned that you emailed me after your visit with your comments; I certainly never received this email, as I always immediately respond to all correspondence without fault.

We are always conscious to keep the Beaches Restaurant child free for dinner, this makes for a better experience for everyone with or without children. We do offer early children’s teas and entertainment at 5.30pm and now also organize child minding facilities for parents with children in the children’s playroom until 9pm. This month we have also invested in a Nanny Cam system that allows parents to view and hear, throughout the hotel, their children in their rooms on an itouch. Other than the Ivy room or your bedroom we have numerous other areas throughout the hotel that would be quite for breastfeeding. All our cots are checked daily for safety and standards and I regret and apologise this did not happen on your visit.

We try hard to keep the standards up and regret that we did not live up to your expectations on your visit last June. We hope you will return at some future date, please contact me personally and I will ensure you of our utmost care and attention.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as we need every now and again to be “kept on our toes” and keep up the good name of Kelly’s Resort Hotel.

Reviewed 10 May 2011

Our seventh visit, staff amazing and always attentive (they seem to read your mind & be one step ahead of you) lovely location & always plenty to do or relax whatever takes your fancy

• Stayed: May 2011
bkellyRosslare, General Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Thank you for your kind comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves in providing good customer service and always look forward to seeing our guest returning year after year. Its give us great sense of achievement that we are providing an excellent holiday destination. I will certainly pass on your compliments on to all the Staff.

Look forward to welcoming you back in 2012.
Kind regards Bill Kelly

Reviewed 9 May 2011

Just returned from a trip to Kellys with our 8.5 month old twins. It was our first trip away (other than to family) with the pair and we nearly cancelled we were so intimidated at the thought. Well we are SO glad we didnt. We had a WONDERFUL time at Kellys. As all others have said the staff were super friendly and food in Beaches was good.

What made the real difference to us was the playroom as our two are crawling and really need to stretch their legs and get busy after being in the car. The playroom is like a big creche room with lots of well loved toys and is for under 4 year olds. It is free if you supervise your own kids or you can pay a small fee and have them supervised by the girl overseeing the room (which we did once or twice). It is open til 5.30pm. We spent a few hours there every day and could then take it in turns popping out for a quiet coffee.

We also made use of the babysitting arrangements (for a very reasonable fee) and were delighted when a lovely 'mature' lady (hope I am being kind by saying in her 50's) arrived and was able to take everything that our two threw at her. We had them asleep when she arrived but that is not to say they stayed that way!! Beaches is right beside the family rooms so it was easy to pop out if there were any problems. It was wonderful to get out for a meal just the two of us :-)

In practical terms there are lots of highchairs for feeding time in the Ivy room (if not in sight just ask staff as they are put away), our two availed of the buffet at the kiddies meal time (5.30pm) and loved it (lots of new things to taste), there is a baby room where there is a steam and microwave steriliser, baby food (hein*) and formula (standard stage 1 apt, c&g etc, sink, kettle, microwave and fridges (you can also get a fridge in your room if you ask). There is a changing room off playroom with nappies etc. We were warned that we couldnt get the sidebyside double buggy in the room which was a problem as we needed it for feeding bottles etc at night but we stayed in room 41 and so were able to get it through the patio doors which was great. This would also work for room 40 and 42. Others put theirs at end of corridor which we would have no worries doing when our two are a little older and more capable.

Pool was also great fun with the twins (nice and warm) and we both had treaments in the spa which was very relaxing and well equipped.

We had a wonderful stay in Kellys and intend going back every year for many years to come.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your very kind review. I am really delighted you enjoyed your visit and that my team looked after you and your family. It is nice to get feedback on the children facilities and thrilled we lived up to your expectations.

We all look forward to welcoming you back next year. Regards. Bill Kelly

Reviewed 8 May 2011

We spent a weekend in Rosslare and visited Kelly's Hotel for an evening meal. We dined in La Marine, the french style restaurant. Excellent menu, superb house wine, great staff and relaxed surroundings. Well priced.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our guests and your kind comments will certainly help to boost our moral in the midst of a busy season. Look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Regards. Bill Kelly

Reviewed 5 May 2011

Stayed in Kellys for a long weekend. Fab location, right on the beach. Food is excellent, staff friendly. All was good bar one little complaint - eating arrangements when you have a baby with you. Anyone i mentioned to about going to Kellys, they said they are so child friendly, but I feel they cater for kids from 4years up really in that they provide a Kiddies Club - disco etc.. from 5.30 til 9pm where kids can be minded while the adults can eat. This is great, but if you have a child under the age of 4 you are not allowed to eat in the fine dining Beaches restaurant and get the fine dining service you pay for! My husband & I brought our 5 month old baby, also mother & mother-in-law joined us. On check in I asked about eating arrangements and I was told I would not be able to eat in the Beaches restaurant for dinner and that i could get the same menu in the other restaurant/bar area - I was ok with this, as to be honest we are a fairly relaxed family and understand when theres a rule set in place in a hotel then its good to obey it. Please note using the babysitting service was not an option for us as my son was just 5 months. We preferred having him asleep in his buggy beside us, and feed him when he woke. Food was top class I have to say, but being in the other restaurant/bar for dinner was not good when your paying the same price. We really felt excluded and missed out in the fine dining experience. No atmosphere - no bacdground music, with 2-3 other couples with babies. Also on our 3rd night, we were put at a table that was only suitable for children we had to bend down to eat, we pointed this out to staff, and they said sorry no other table available. A manager came out and said sorry but no other table available but we could bring the buggy in to the Beaches Restaurant the following night- what annoyed us was we were told no babies allowed in the Beaches restaurant at check-in!! On the 3rd night we just happened to sit in the area outside Beaches when we could see 2 buggies, a 2 kids about 6 or 7 years sitting eating - we were fairly cheesed off. So one comment to Kellys if you set a rule you should stick to it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GalwayGirl08
bkellyRosslare, Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear Galwaygirl08,

Thank you for your letter on Trip Advisor and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us despite being unable to dine with your child in our fine Dining Restaurant Beaches.

We are always conscious to keep the Beaches Restaurant child free for dinner, this makes for a better experience for everyone with or without children, as we do offer early teas and child minding facilities for parents with children. Certainly with your five month old baby you should have being offered the opportunity to dine in Beaches Restaurant, as is normally the case for very young babies. We have reviewed our controls following your letter, to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. We hope you will return at some future date, please contact me personally, my direct line is 053 9132001 or bkelly@kellys.ie and I will ensure you of utmost care and attention.

Bill Kelly
Manager/Director

Reviewed 4 May 2011

If you want to sit back and relax and let the kids play in a safe and secure enviorment. Kellys is the place. Great stay, but a little bit on the pricey side for the room standard.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Dear MajDublin,

Thank you for your letter on Trip Advisor and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, but disappointed on the comment regarding your room.

We do have many different room styles within the hotel and I would appreciate if you could let me know what room you were in during your visit, so that we can improve our standards for all our customers. We hope you will return at some future date, please contact me personally on bkelly@kellys.ie, should you wish to return and I will ensure you of utmost care and attention.

Bill Kelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosslare
Talbot Wexford
Clayton Whites Hotel
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!