“Couples hotel with the odd child floating around”

and 1 more site!
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rosslare
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very good . Great location right at the sea front . The beach almost drifts in the back door of the hotel . Its that close to the waters edge ... very relaxing in the outdoor hot tub with the sand grass blowing at your head height while in the tub ... food is of a very high standard and staff are very well trained in their job .. the only fault is the service charge is mandatory and it makes the final bill look dam expensive at the end of your stay . . The hotel prices are ok till this service charge is added . Then it becomes a bad memory of kellys resort hotel ... I would stay more often if this service charge was reduced by half or abolished .. . The spa is quiet tranquiland clean modern etc ... . The bar food is good value and high quality .. . The top suite is gloriously clean and spacious . With glass walls overlooking the sea and tennis court . With the odd sightening of the ship or fisherman passing by . . Ill have to save again this year begore I can manage to go back again .

• Stayed: June 2013
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Hysterxl,

Thank you for taking the time to review Kelly's Resort Hotel on Trip Advisor. It was great to welcome you back again. We were happy to see that you enjoyed the facilities, food and of course that you were well looked after by the team.

However, we were disappointed the see that you were put off by the service change. Indeed the hotel does operate on a 10% service charge which is highlighted in all the promotional material and at the time of booking. This was put into place over 70 years ago at Kelly's and back then was accepted by the guests, as it meant they did not have to carry cash with them. The service charge goes directly to the staff and would be difficult to stop now because the staff have become accustom to receiving this on a weekly basis. I hope that this helps you better understand our service charge policy. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further queries or questions about this.

We hope that aside from this you enjoyed your stay, because we would love to welcome you back to Kelly's again in the future.

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have visited Kellys many times for lunch or dinner, this was my first stay as a resident and I was not disappointed, I stayed with two friends who likewise were very impressed, with the fantastic service by all the very friendly helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms were light and airy with a beautiful view. The hotel facilities were so amazing we didn't need to leave, I thoroughly enjoyed a fantastic massage and spa where the staff were kind and gentle. The menu was absolutely delightful it was so difficult to choose from all the delicious courses. We will definitely return to sample some more.
Thank You to all the staff at Kellys for such a wonderful time

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 8acambrian

Dear 8acambrian,

I would like to thank you for your lovely comments. We are thrilled to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your first stay with us. I will pass on your wonderful comments to that staff who will be very happy, because we do pride ourselves in providing the best customer care possible to ensure that each guests enjoys their stay with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a 2nd visit to Kelly's.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 May 2014

and the Owner's presence makes this hotel hum. Bill Kelly is about the place all the time - in the morning you'll see him supervising the maintenance crew and in the evening he'll be greeting every diner. The consequence is that this family hotel has the best service I have encountered anywhere in the world. The Beaches restaurant provides delicious food - from an Irish breakfast to fuel you through any amount of sightseeing to a stunning dinner menu that changes completely every day - with a wine list to match. The beds are downy, the views of the beach and the sea relaxing and the public rooms comfortably furnished and decorated with the amazing Kelly art collection. For entertainment there are gardens, two bars, a card room, two swimming pools, a billiard room, a fitness gym, a sea spa, tennis, crazy golf and sunbeds. Children are occupied with indoor playroom and outdoor playground staffed with nannies, and provided with a catering scheme that allows adults peace and quiet when these are most needed. Brilliant - I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor facing the gardens, the beach and the sea, have balconies.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Robert T

Dear Robert T,

Thank you so much for you great review on Trip Advisor. I certainly try my best to be around the hotel as much as possible, to ensure that all the guests are enjoying their stay with us.
We were delighted you and your family enjoyed the facilities, food and more importantly that my team looked after you well. I will most definitely pass on your kind comments the them all.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Kelly's again.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife & I have just returned from a weekend stay at Kellys' Resort Hotel. We chose to stay on B&B basis for a weekend.

The hotel is situated in Rosslare Bay, only a few kilometres from Rosslare Ferry port (about 10 mins. drive away). This was our first (and will not be our last) visit here. The hotel was all we expected and more. Staff were friendly and efficient. Check-in on a busy Friday was quick and very helpful.

Our room was big, clean, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. The large bay window gave an increased sense of size. We had a connecting dressing room area and en-suite bathroom. The room was located to the front of the hotel overlooking the main street but noise was not a problem. Just a couple of 'quirky' bits - there was no tea/coffee facility in room (very much standard in rooms nowadays) and for gentlemen there was a nice sized extendable shaving mirror in bathroom.

It was evident that the hotel tries to cater for a wide range of visitors. It is very family friendly but older visitors are also well looked after and welcomed. It does not cater for older teenager/young 20s age group. Or more correctly the hotel does not exclude them but this age are more into clubbing/partying and that was not in keeping with our impression of the hotel.

Saying that the facilities for activity or inactivity are great. There was a great Aqua Club centre with pools, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and hot tub. Not to mention well equipped gym. How about the 1 minute walk through the hotel from Reception directly to the long clean sandy beach of Rosslare Strand.

The hotel creates a varied and lovely mix of areas of comfort. Some areas are old world charm and quietness; others reminded us of sailing on a liner; taking the air in a faraway holiday spot. Each area seemed to blend seamlessly and easily into the next.

As we chose B&B, didn't use the restaurant for evening dining. There was choice of 2 restaurants for breakfast and we used the Ivy Room with its buffet style breakfast, of which there was a large selection of food to tempt many a taste. This was also the dining area for families with smaller children and could become pleasantly lively without being raucous.

I've tried to convey our impressions and great satisfaction with our stay at Kellys and hope you find it helpful in choosing your stay there. This is one hotel definitely on our 'must go back to' list.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laurence N

Dear Laurence N,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and all the facilities at the hotel. In regards to your comment about tea and coffee facilities in the rooms, we made a decision not to put these in the rooms in case it becomes a problem with children. However, we have hospitality trays that can be delivered to your room on request.

Thank you again for your comments, which I will share with the Kelly's team. It gives us great sense of achievement that you say Kelly's Resort is on your 'must go back to list'.

Look forward to welcoming you back for a second visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 May 2014

O.k let me state for the record! Family have been going to Kellys for over 50years, myself a mere 35years and I am not quite in my dotage yet. Had been given a Spa Gift Voucher and recently received a text offering a really tremendous promotional offer for May mid-week for an Ogra Body Treatment - Take a deep breath..... €75 for full body exfoliation, Orga Body Treament, Mini Facial, Head Massage............full use of the Spa Pool ahead of treatment and lunch in the Buffet area of the Ivy Room. Well my car pointed in the direction of Rosslare Strand asap.

Spa Area is run most beautifully by Deirdre, she really is tremendous, great advice, making sure you get the best use of your time in the spa, always a friendly word. The Ogra range of products hail from Co. Offaly, Peat based, not tested on animals, and organic. Yet again I had my all time favourite therapist Emer - she delivered the entire programme with great knowledge, and as always tremendous professionalism/kindness. This product is just fantastic, felt really great on the skin, and days later I see a huge benefit. I also like not being rushed at my treament, and time in the spa and one never is, always plenty of time. Truly I do not know how they do it with so many guests to take care of.

Then I floated up to buffet lunch. When we stay in Kellys we always head to the dining room to avoid what can be a rake of little people running hither thither an yon! Not my indea of a fun lunch to be honest. Yes, I was a little person myself in Kellys and I had a blast but never allowed to "take over" which can at times occur - nothing to do with the little people but rather their parents!! As an earlier review stated there were a much higher percentage of "oldies" and this suited me perfectly. So my first time having the buffet lunch, wow, wow, wow.

I had starter of pate and brown bread, then salmon (melt in the mouth) with mayonaise (eh have no words to describe such deliciousness), a selection of salads that would have left Avoca reeling! Top marks.
Pud............oh dear........totally fell - a slice of choc/hazelnut tart.......it exploded in the mouth with rich dark choc, and a good hazelnut texture, light as air combined with a delightfully crunchy base. I was torn between it and a rather cheeky passionfruit tartlet - chef stewarding the pudding table saw my dilema and said you must try and gave me a tasting slice of tartlet too. I know I know but what was a girl to do.

I retreated to my table with my lunch, paper and as it was such a lovely day enjoyed watching every one sitting out, tranquil, and truly I could have been in the South of France. I defy anyone to match.

Then Laura Kelly who has recently joined the Kelly Managment team appeared, enquiring was everything all right. Charming just charming. Such a welcome sight to see that Kellys will be in most wonderful hands in the future.

I then had coffee, and then a 2nd cup,could not tear myself away. But I did finally.

This was a most wonderful day and I was indeed fortunate to have had and be able to enjoy.

Life is challanging at the moment no doubt, but always one feels so reassured that whilst times may change standards must be maintained.

So without delay (I am not a techi) but do sign up for Kellys texts, amazing offers both on accomodation will come into your mailbox, and of course the Spa deals too and I cannot wait for the next one. My Orga Body treatment was the deal of the decade.

Leaving the carpark - I would urge one to be extra careful. As I exited to turn right, one has to get up onto the pavement virtually to have a clear view on your right, if you don't it is rather a blind spot as the dividing exit/entrance bollard is both large and thick. As I proceeded very slowly (thank heavans I did) an elderly gentleman was cycling with great vigor by and close to the pavement. So great care is needed.

I await the next 35 years with gusto....................

Room Tip: Sign up for Text alerts to future offers/specials in the Spa and Accomodation. Be very careful exit...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CountryDiscerning
bkellyRosslare, Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear IrelandDiscerning,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the new Ogra Treatment. I will most definitely pass on your complements to Deirdre, Emer and the SeaSpa team.

It was a pleasure to meet you that day at the buffet, I am delighted that you also enjoyed your buffet lunch and were able to relax and read the papers.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Kindest regards,
Laura Kelly

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed in Kelly's with my husband and 21 month old, along with my parents-in-law. Check in was a breeze and help was provided to transport our luggage to our room on the ground floor. The room contained a travel cot and a single bed, in addition to the queen sized bed. (note: full size cots are available upon request).

We were 'full board' in the hotel so this visit seemed to revolve around an abundance of beautiful food - starting with afternoon tea after check in, onto a wonderful three course meal in the restaurant. Breakfast and Lunch are served both in the restaurant or at the buffet area. Again, wonderful food each meal - the fish was particularly good. Children's 'tea' is served at 5.30pm, all the standard kiddie fare, followed by ice cream and a mini disco. Children are not allowed in the main restaurant for dinner but the same menu with table service is available in the main lounge area so parents can indulge whilst the kiddos run underfoot. The alternative is to leave the kids in the supervised playarea if they cooperate (our daughter didn't!) and dine in peace in the restaurant.

The playroom is great and the child care staff there incredibly competent. The staff in the main lounge area are friendly and helpful - one staff member going out of her way to entertain our daughter so we could eat lunch in peace.

The pool facility is great - a large, warm pool for parents and adults, as well as a separate (colder) pool for adults only. I had a massage in the spa which was pure relaxation also.

Just a quick note on the clientele the week we were there - about 70% retirees, 30% parents with kids. Hence the entertainment in the lounge area each evening was geared towards the older crowd.

Overall, a wonderful, indulgent stay. Happy parents, happy kid.

Two minor gripes:
1. The blackout curtain lining stopped about 3 feet from the floor in our room - which makes it harder for naps and early wake up times!
2. The hotel still use traditional keys for room access - time for an update to keycard access so multiple guests can have their own key. The traditional keys are fiddly and noisy.

Room Tip: Families with Children - ask for a room with full black out curtains - ours were only partial.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AK_Dublin
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear AK_Dublin,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our guests and your kind comments will certainly help to boost our morale in the midst of a busy season. I will most certainly pass on your comments to the team. It was great to hear that both the parents and children were able to enjoy themselves.

Thank you for bringing the curtain problem to our attention, I will certainly look into this as the rooms should all be fully blacked out. I also agree with your comment about room keys, it is definitely something that we would like to implement at the hotel. The change over to room cards involves a large investment, but we hope to be able to do it in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Recently stayed in Kellys hotel for a family celebration. Our group covered all age groups and one thing that is unique about Kelly's is that it has something for everyone. Whether you enjoy being active and getting involved in all the sports available, or having the children so happily entertained, or the excellent pool and leisure facilities, the beautiful spa. a walk on the beach or to simply just sitting and relaxing you will be catered for. The rooms are large and very comfortable with every modern convenience (even a fridge and dvd player in the family rooms). The food in Beaches is excellent with Eugene O'Callaghan excelling himself, but then I am a fan having previously dined many moons ago in his little restaurant in Ballyedmond. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is certainly a personal touch from Mr. Kelly himself who is always around the hotel greeting people. A truly all round perfect hotel for a family break.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have glorious views of the gardens and onwards out to sea
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eviansuz

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your family celebration at Kelly's.

We are delighted you and your family enjoyed the facilities, food and more importantly that my team looked after you well. I will certainly pass on your compliments to Eugene and indeed all the staff. It will certainly boost their morale at the start of a busy season. Eugene will also be thrilled to hear that you previously dined in his restaurant in Ballyedmond.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Bill Kelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosslare
Talbot Wexford
Clayton Whites Hotel
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!