“Disappointed”

and 1 more site!
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rosslare
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had heard so many good reports about Kellys we just had to go to this famous hotel. We heard about the friendly welcome but there was nothing particularly friendly about reception. We got our key and proceeded to our room. The room was a good size but was very dated. There was no tea/coffee making facility, the TV was very small and the reception not good with much interference. The shower was old and kept changing from cold to hot. Apart from the Beaches Restaurant which was first class, nice staff and excellent food, the rest of the hotel was like a Butlins holiday camp with children running everywhere, especially in the Ivy Room which was very basic. The pool appeared quite small and dark. The Spa area looked nice but the prices were astronomical. To their credit the sheets and towels were changed every day and toiletries were supplied as one would expect of a 4 star hotel. My impression is that Kellys made its name about 30 years ago and has acquired an nostalgic following who feel it is a home from home. I found it well below what I would expect and definitely overpriced. Most suited to families.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea or at least in the newer part of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Winannter
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Winannter,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor comment, your feedback is always much appreciated. We were happy to learn that you were well looked after by the team and that you enjoyed the location, as well as the food in Beaches. But we were very disappointed that we fell short in a few other areas and for the poor welcome you received at reception.

However I was surprised to hear that you felt your room to be dated. Over the last 5 years we have renovated 95% of the rooms, so I would be interested to know which room you were staying in. Our aim is to finish renovating the last few rooms this year. It is a pity you did not mention about your shower or television, at the time, we could have fixed them immediately. We do provide hospitality trays in the room, but on request only.

Our Aqua Club pool incorporates two pools with large windows overlooking the sea, with sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and hottub and heated loungers. It is very surprising to hear you describe it as dark and small. I would also refute your comment on the price of the Spa treatments, I think we are among the best priced Spas in the country with many 1 hour treatments on offer for less than €70, including an hour in the thermal suite with indoor/outdoor Thalassotherapy pool and relaxation area for after your treatment.

We apologise and regret you felt overrun by children in the Ivy Room area, we do tend to have more young children staying during the first few weeks in June. But normally they are well taken care of with activity programs and tend not to encroach on the adults. We also keep the main dining room child free in the evening times and open for lunch and breakfast also.

We try hard to keep the standards up and regret that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company at some future date, please contact me personally, as I would like to endeavour to change your bad feeling on Kelly’s and to show you the true Failte Ui Cheallaigh, which all our guests receive over the years.

With good wishes and we look forward to your return visit in the future.

Managing Director

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is amazing for families. It is by far the best place I've ever stayed in with my children. Its a iittle piece of paradise that is very family friendly. The food is amazing and deserves a full review on its own - watch out for the 'Kelly Belly' as you won't be able to stop eating the amazing food.

I travelled with two small children and had a great time. They mind your children while you eat like a grown up in the main restaurant or you can have your dinner with the children in the bar. We did both while there. The family rooms are a generous size and the facilities are great. Fab Spa and great location. if you want an amazing week or weekend (we stayed for five fab days) then you can't go wrong with here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NettyIre

Dear NettyIre,

Thank you so much for your TripAdvisor review, to be described as the 'perfect family getaway' gives the team and I a great sense of achievement. We certainly hope that the famous 'kelly belly' didn't stay for too long!!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Kelly's again.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having been fortunate enough to travel to many different countries, I can safely say that nowhere I have ever stayed offers the sheer enjoyment (not to mention the spectacular food) that Kelly's serves up every time my family and I go there. It's noticeable that the same staff are there to look after you, year after year. That indicates (to me at least) that the staff enjoy working there, which in turn says a lot about the management. Eddie Cullen and Bill Kelly have been front and centre at Kelly's since I started taking my family there, and two nicer gentlemen you will never meet. These guys are not your typical "behind the scenes" managers. They go out of their way to ensure you're happy and having a good time. The food is second to none (never say "no" to the roast beef!). If you don't go for a nice walk along the beach after your meal, or a swim in their aqua centre, you'll be in danger of leaving with what we lovingly refer to as a "Kelly belly," the food is that delicious and the portions that generous. The atmosphere at Kelly's is unfailingly relaxed for both young and old. It is the perfect place to spend a Sunday afternoon, whether you're three or 83. Suffice it to say that when my mother travels from America for a visit, the first place she wants to go for dinner is Kelly's of Rosslare. My 10-year-old grandson feels exactly the same. Now that's saying something, when two people representing four generations both want to go to the same place for a good meal, but then again, who could blame them?!?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin K

Dear Kevin K,

Thank you for your very kind comment on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and more importantly that the team looked after you well. Of course our single most important asset is our people and I would like to thank you for such positive feedback regarding the team at Kelly’s. I will certainly pass on your complements to Eddie, as well as the other staff.

We look forward to welcoming you, your mother and your grandson back to Kelly's in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Just returned from a fabulous 5 days at Kelly's . Been going here for to many years to mention and as always no where to beat it. Food magnificent ,staff magnificent ,facilities magnificent . Never been disappointed. Even my 21 and 26 year old children wanted to go back. Here's to the next time, which hopefully won't be to long.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsSeve

Dear MrsSeve,

Thank you again for your kind comment on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, it really brings great pleasure to see people returning each year.

We hope you had a safe trip home and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by the owner of the B & B we stayed at in Rosslare. The menus was more varied than most of the others in town and they had local seafood. The starter of crab mille feuille was delicious and just the right size and the scallops with chorizo were the best I've eaten anywhere. The desert of panna cotta with pineapple and mint salsa didn't quite live up to expectation and lacked flavour - probably because it looked as though the pineapple and mint had been left standing for some time (the mint was either dried or had turned black). The service was very good and all in all it was one of the best meals on our Irish trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DonnaItalia7

Dear DonnaItalia7,

Thank you for your comment on TripAdisor. We were delighted to hear that La Marine was one of the best meals you had during your trip in Ireland. We certainly hope that you enjoyed your time in our country.

I will pass on your complements to the La Marine staff. It will certainly boost their morale at the start of a busy season. Your comments about the pannacotta have been transferred to the chef, who was grateful for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Kellys hotel recently. We were a party of seven. Everything was fabulous the food, entertainment, facilities, location, and especially the friendly and efficient staff. The staff could not have been any nicer to us, they were always alert to our needs, we never wanted for anything. We felt like we had made friends by the end of the trip, John and Emer were two staff who were exceptional to us. The service was second to none. The entertainment was superb from sports competitions to table quiz's to music at night ( the music was excellent) I have often seen some crappy singer with a guitar in a hotel , not in kellys, the music was a pleasure to listen to, it was proper musicians and everyone was dancing ( and this was mid week in June). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Siobhan D

Dear Siobhan D,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you and your family enjoyed the facilities, entertainment and more importantly that the team looked after you well.
I will certainly pass your compliments onto Emer, John and indeed all the staff, we do pride ourselves in providing the best customer care possible to ensure that each guests enjoys their stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to Kelly’s again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very mixed thoughts on this one, great position on the beach front, food was really good and the service was great wine list was large but very heavily influenced by French wines. The service was excellent from young man who took our bags from the car park across the road to our rooms right through to the maître d' in the dining room, great service. An early breakfast was organised to ensure we were in time to catch the ferry and it arrived with precision @ 7.15am as ordered.
On the downside,very outdated tired rooms, no tea or coffee making facilities and when I said a family establishment I meant just that from elderly grandparents to young babies. Afternoon tea was served at 4pm and it was like being at the local aged care home, people lining up from 3.50pm to be sure they didn't miss out with 1 person standing in the queue until they were nearly at the front then the rest front up, I was actually elbowed out if the way. It was quite funny my travelling companion and I ended up referring to it as Shady Pines. It is definitely not the place to go if you are looking for a bit if nightlife or excitement but for a family seaside holiday that all the family could enjoy it would be most enjoyable or for the more senior folk who May gave been going there for years I'm sure they love it, but definitely not for us.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a bit if nightlife this is not the place for you unless you are 70 + ask for...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sandra C

Dear Sandra C,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor comment, your feedback is always much appreciated. We were happy to learn that you were well looked after by the team and that you enjoyed the location, as well as the food.

However I was surprised to hear that you felt the rooms to be 'tired'. Over the last 5 years we have renovated 95% of the rooms, so I would be interested to know which room you were staying in. Our aim is to finish renovating the last few rooms this year.
The afternoon tea service must have been very busy on the day you stayed with us, but it often amazes us also how eager people are to get there cakes, we will have to blame the good pastry chef! We have actually tried table service in the past, but it was very wasteful. The entertainment at the hotel changes every night of the week, but if you are looking for a proper nightclub it is true that you would have to travel to Wexford Town.

We hope that you had a safe journey home.

Bill Kelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosslare
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Riverbank House Hotel
Riverbank House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Wexford

Been to Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!