“Kelly’s - What a disappointment”

Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rosslare
Waterford, Ireland
“Kelly’s – What a disappointment”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had been trying to get to Kelly’s for ages, it has a great reputation.
I left it too late to secure accommodation so decided to book dinner in the Beaches Restaurant and a spa treatment for the morning. We stayed in a local hotel on a room only basis and had planned to have breakfast at Kelly’s also.
We arrived at 7.30pm. The dining room was large and pleasantly decorated with eye-catching arty pieces. It was almost empty at that time and so looked a bit large and daunting. We were shown to our table for two in a far distant corner of the room. Initially this seemed ideal but soon after, as the tables close to us were all large groups it became almost too noisy for us to speak to each other.
We ordered wine and were given menus. I chose the duck starter and the hake to follow, my friend also had the hake but preceded by mushroom soup. I found the food to be very average. My starter was tasty and looked appetising but the hake was insipid and bland and I felt, undercooked a tad. The fish was served with a massive new potato in its jacket and some baby carrots which looked rather sad alone in a dish. Presentation was definitely lacking. My friend was unimpressed with her soup – when asked if everything was alright we said yes, it was alright but one expects more from a set menu at €43.50. Alright is mediocre. Not good. Also we were not offered an A la Carte menu. There was almost no time between when we received the menus and ordered, the starters arrived in seconds and the main course was also served swiftly…too swiftly.
I believe it was the proprietor who handed us a dessert menu whilst at the same time continuing his conversation with those sitting at an adjacent table. This was disconcerting for us. He appeared to be totally inattentive and we felt that we were not being treated as well as those staying as guests. After dessert no one came near us.
It said on the menu that coffee would be served in the Ivy room so we stood up and made our way out. We lingered at the exit for some time before deciding to leave. We approached the reception desk and asked directions to the Ivy room and also if we could settle our bill. We paid the bill €113.00 which we felt was a huge waste of money as apart from my starter nothing else was really enjoyed. We had our coffee in the Ivy room where the waitress came running in to check that we had paid. We assured her we had. The waitress was blameless. We left.
The next day we ate a lovely breakfast at a different venue. We didn’t feel like Kelly’s again but we did arrive for pre-booked spa treatments. I had a back massage by Rachel. She was excellent, no fuss, knew her stuff and the spa itself is lovely. A little expensive at €41.80 for thirty minutes but I couldn’t fault the actual treatment. My friend had a pedicure and I think she was happy too.
While waiting on my friend I sat in the garden and I must say that was very nice. The weather was great and the surroundings impressive but the food was just not up to the mark for us on that Tuesday night. What a shame as it had been a long awaited visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank mayigo
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Mayigo,

We were most upset and disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your dinner on Tuesday evening. Personally I was not here that evening, but it should not change the level of service or welcome you received on arrival. My apologies that it fell short of our normal standards.

We only offer a Table d’hôte menu in Beaches Restaurant and we do not have an a la carte menu, the selection changes daily with fresh fish and local produce each day. However, we do offer a la carte option in La Marine Restaurant.

We have taken note of your comments relating to the food in Beaches Restaurant it is a pity that you did not mention it during your meal when we checked your table, we would have certainly rectified the situation immediately. I have shown your letter to our Executive Chef Eugene Callaghan and his team, who assure me that they will do the utmost to improve the quality of food we serve in hotel. In general, I would have to say that Eugene’s food has been very well received since his arrival in Beaches, however, from your comments it was not the case on this occasion. We pride ourselves in maintaining a very high standard at all times, this was certainly not the case with your visit.

We regret that we did not live up to your expectations and at this stage can only ask you to accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience. I do hope you would give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves at some future date. Please contact me personally and I will assure you of our utmost care and attention.

With good wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Manager/Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a wonderful time.All staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was beautifully decorated and very cosy. We ate in the dining room and the food was delicious and the service excellent.
Our room was very comfortable. We had a balcony overlooking the front and it was wonderful sitting out last thing at night and first thing in the morning. The grounds were lovely particularly the walkway at the back overlooking the beach. While it may have seemed expensive when booking it proved to be value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Misneach59
bkellyRosslare, General Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Misneach59,

Thank you for your lovely message on Trip Advisor. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Kelly's.

Your kind comments are certainly a boost to us all in midst of a busy season.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

With good wishes.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I took my daughter on completion of her 4 year software engineering degree to Kelly's Sea Spa on the Lazy Bird deal. I had some concerns as the deal included lunch, and my daughter is a vegan, who hates when any fuss is made of this issue. We had a rainforest shower, I had the mint, and she had the lavender, in the sizable showers, which was a very relaxing start to the day. We relaxed on the warmed shaped loungers while we waited for our massages. The full body and head massage was a deeply relaxing experience, with the therapist being particularly therapeutic, in that she knew when to speak and when not to speak. Sublimely relaxing. It was completed ten minutes before our lunch hour. We were told we could wear our robes to lunch, in the Iveagh room and as it was only for an hour. I was so relaxed I went , where lunch in my robe and with my hair treatment in situ. The room had a nice buzz, and we found two winged chairs in a discreet area, where we didn't feel too conspicuous. There was an informal atmosphere in the room, and there were others in robes at the self service dining room. A vast array of delights tempted us for the lunch with serving, help and assistance as needed. I had the salmon, and a waldorf salad, and Kelly's signature brown bread. My daughter was told her lunch would take ten minutes and my heart sank as I'd visions of us being due back for our facials when hers would be served. A freshly cooked non-egg tagliatelli was well worth the ten minute wait. Cranberry and an array of fresh vegetables was served with a spicy sauce, making an unusual and delicious meal. After a few minutes the chef who cooked it came out to meet her, and discuss the ingredients used, including showing her the sauce he had used. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal, and I sampled the fresh fruit salad and cream. My camomile tea, was the most delicious I had ever tasted. Returning at two we had to wait a few minutes, during which we got the opportunity to read up on the fabulous art collection we had been admiring. The facial had neck and decolletage aromatherapy and was lovely. I found having my lips massaged however unpleasant, accompanied by pins and needles and numbness sensations. When I reported this to the therapist, she told me not to worry that these feelings showed that the cream was working. It continued to feel unpleasant however, and if going again, I would insist on not having this element of the facial.
After the facial we were told we could stay as long as we wished in the thermal suite, which was very pleasant. The thalassotherapy pool could have been a bit warmer. I had been in it on a previous occasion in the middle of summer, when it was balmy. On this occasion I found it quite cool. After swimming I warmed up but it was not warm enough to just lounge being massaged by the various jets of water.
Good value for €120 including lunch. I would definitely return but in reasonably warm weather

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Thatword,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I will certainly pass your lovely compliments to our spa team and chef.

I will also speak with our Spa Manager regarding the Seawater Vitality Pool temperature. If there are extreme weather conditions outside this could have an adverse effect, but this rarely happens. However, we can increase the pool temperature in these conditions. I sincerely apologise that this did not happen.

I am sorry you had an experience with part of the facial, on very rare occasions people can get a reaction to the product but normally ESPA products suit all skin types as they completely natural plant and marine extracts, which are extremely nourishing and suitable for even the most sensitive skin. I will certainly speak to ESPA regarding this.

We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back for another spa day where we will ensure you of our utmost care and attention.

Kind regards
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my young family stay in Kelly's for 5 days every year.
I was concerned about the costs the first year we stayed as they're fairly steep BUT all costs are warranted. Nothing is too much trouble for the wonderful staff.
The food, so much food, is delicious. The beach is beautiful. The kids club and daily disco are safe and fun. The spa is sublime.
All in all a gem and worth every penny.
But- if you're a young couple/group of people looking for a wild weekend go elsewhere as the pace is fairly sedate and the after dinner musical entertainment is a bit waltzy.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Lynda C
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Lynda C,

We would like to thank you for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor. It brings us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that ‘nothing was too much trouble’ for the staff. I have passed on your complements to the team who were delighted, as we pride ourselves in providing the best customer care possible to ensure that each guests enjoys their stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to Kelly’s again in the near future.

Best wishes,

london
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Kellys hotel has been family-owned for generations and the current owners are confident enough of their product to be seen working, meeting and greeting in the hotel on a daily basis.
The hotel is run on the lines of a cruise ship - with one meal running into another (provided you are full board) and the choice of buffet-style or waiter-service meals. The food was exceptional - I felt - really good quality and well-prepared and presented.
The hotel has two indoor swimming pools as well as sauna, indoor and outdoor jacuzzi plus gym. There are games rooms, library, tv room as well as other relaxation areas around the resort. In the summer season there is a kids club and outdoor play area for the children. Various loungers, tables, chairs are dotted inside and outside the hotel for guests to sit and watch the world go by while waiting for the next meal/snack. There's private access down to the sandy beach. Entertainment is provided every evening, although we didnt take advantage of it so I can't be sure of the quality.
In short, there seems to be something for everyone and the addition of the sea spa (a newish extension) means you can indulge in a bit of luxury while there.
I felt the standard of cleanliness and service was exceptional and the whole facility was run in a streamlined fashion.
A couple of gripes - the tv in our room was old and had very poor sound quality and the DVD player ( a bonus) curiously had no remote so was difficult to operate. Hospitality trays are available but you have to request them and trying to get them refurbished was difficult. I waited 2 hours and made 2 requests before I could get coffee sachets and milk cartons.
I am also a little uncomfortable with the addition of a service charge on the bill - in our case an extra £136 on the bill. I note that mr Kelly has responded to previous comments saying this is widely advertised prior to booking but I beg to differ. We booked via telephone and were never advised of the charge either by confirmation of booking or at the booking in stage. While I don't begrudge the staff the money, it does make the final bill more expensive than expected and I don't think we are the only ones to be surprised by this addition.however, even with this 'extra' I think we had good value for money and would certainly return as the overall experience was a really pleasant and relaxing time with attentive staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sooz16,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the food, facilities and more importantly that you were well looked after by the team. I have passed on your complements to the staff, it will certainly boost their morale at the end of a busy season.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback. We are now in the process of checking the TV’s and remotes in all rooms and hope to replace any that are not up to standard over the coming months. I sincerely apologise for the long wait with your hospitality tray, this should certainly not have taken so long. We prefer to provide hospitality trays on request, as they can be hazardous when there are young children in the rooms. In regards to the service charge, we do appreciate your comments. It is a difficult change as it has been in operation for over 70years in the hotel, with all service charge going directly to the staff. However, you should have been notified of this at the time of booking. We have spoken to all the reservation staff to prevent this from happening again and the confirmation emails now state the rate, as well as the service charge
Thank you again for your feedback, as it is only with such information that we can strive to improve the service and facilities at Kelly’s Resort Hotel. We hope to welcome back to Kelly’s again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We had the good luck of staying there for 3 nights in July when temperatures were up in the mid-twenties. It's a really nice hotel for families with lots of activities for children. Walks on the beach are great and the indoor pool is beautiful. Restaurant and food is catered to larger groups. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014
bkellyRosslare, General Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mariane V,

Thank you for posting a lovely review on Trip Advisor. You kind comments are certainly appreciated by all the staff.

The sun is still shining here in Rosslare, it has been a fantastic summer. The golden beach, glistening seawater, numerous facilities makes Kelly's an ideal holiday location for all the family.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kelly's soon.

Kind regards
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I spent 2 nights at kelly's Hotel and this was my first stay. I have previously gone there to dine at Beaches restaurant with my Mother. This was a whole different experience for me though. My Mother swears by Kelly's always providing a service "second to none" as my Mother would say This time I came with my Mother. It was a special treat for us as we are both going back to college in September. I particularly wanted this weekend to be special for my Mam as she has been very ill with Cancer this past year and I thought she deserved something special.
When we arrived, our reception was wonderful. They were so friendly and welcoming. Some of the porter people seemed to recognize my Mam but they were equally as friendly towards me. So far so good I thought. We relaxed in the sitting room for a while and when the lad called Fergal came in to see about setting the fire, he put so much effort into not disturbing us with unnecessary noise, that I was quite touched. The service and food was exceptional in the restaurant, It seems mean to mention only some as they were all wonderful, but I do have to mention David. he was very friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. His memory is great too, considering that they were so busy. he had the knack of continuing a conversation that we had started on the previous meal. he's quite a treasure for Kelly's to have found.Paul was another who was just so funny in the morning times. A real character. Another Character was Tomas. He has a great sense of humor. My Mam loved him. He made her laugh a lot. We had a glass of wine before dinner on the terrace. This was lovely and the guy called Alberic was so kind, offering to put the parasol up for Mam as the sun was out and quite strong. We didn't even have to ask him. Phil at reception was so pleasant to Mam and I. She took the time to comment on how lovely Mam looked.My Mam likes to "dress" for dinner and indeed she puts every effort into putting on her very best long elegant dresses for Kelly's. Phil wouldn't have known, but her nice compliment to Mam was important for me as Mam lost all her lovely blond hair to Cancer treatment and has lost a little of her confidence just lately. She doesn't believe her new hair has grown back as good as her previous hair. How do Kelly's staff seem to know just the right thing to say?
We used the leisure facilities. That was a very peaceful experience for both of us. The Canadian Hot tub is overlooking the beach which was lovely. The swimming pool had a nice temperature. For a very busy hotel, these facilities were not crowded at all, which was surprising. We didn't have to wait for showers or wait for anything really. Fantastic! The towels provided were clean and dry and smelled fresh.
The room we were in was great. We had booked this quite late, so a room with a sea view was not expected. My Mam especially wanted a sea view as she finds looking at the sea very peaceful and spends a lot of her time these days just walking on the beach. So to be given a room like this was something special.
And basically, that is why I am going to try and take Mam here again next year. Because Kelly's is something special. It didn't let me down. My mam goes on and on about Kelly's hotel after she's been but now I know why. I've worked all summer to pay for this holiday for my Mam, but I have to say, it was worth every penny and Kelly's have earned another convert. I may only be nineteen, but when i leave college and get a job, I'll be back here, certainly.
Thanks to everyone at kelly's for a lovely break away.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms over the tennis courts as they also have a sea view.