“Excellent food, great location, super service, what a weekend”

Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rosslare
Wexford
“Excellent food, great location, super service, what a weekend”
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Just back from a weekend in Kelly's in Rosslare. What a great place to stay. Stayed from Friday to Sunday, but just wasn't long enough. Meals were very tasty and plentiful, whether I ate in Beaches restaurant (which has it's own art gallery) or in the hotel's buffet. Had great fun with the family using many of the amenities such as the crazy golf, snooker room (1 euro per 40 mins played), table tennis, family pool, or just walking along the beach. We never got to try the tennis courts or the quad-cycle. Staff throughout the hotel were exceptional as always. Room was very pleasant with over-sized bath, a balcony and a fantastic view of hotel gardens and a sea view. And to top off the weekend the Spa was fantastic. They limit use to something like 8 or 10 people in the Spa at any one time so it was very relaxed and adults only of course. The hotel also has a very comfortable family-run atmosphere and it's such a pleasure to find a hotel of such a standard that has not lost any of it's character as compared to many hotels that are part of a chain. Overall it was a great weekend and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Irish_Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
dublin
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Have just returned from a totally relaxing week at Kelly's - deserted beach walks, delicious food and winelist, best service in Ireland, friendly staff, golf lessions - it is just divine. It is truly refreshing after staying in so many corporate hotel chains to stay in a genuine family run establishment.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank dory087
Ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I am just back from my third visit to Kellys Hotel in the past 2 years and once again I left relaxed and thoroughly revitalised from the experience. I have stayed in many 4 and 5* hotels in Ireland, Europe and the US and consistently find that Kellys beats them all for value for money, location and customer service. From the minute you enter the Hotel it is like stepping into another world where relaxation and excellent customer service are the order of the day where it feels as though all the staff are on hand to ensure your every need is met. Each time we visit something different has been done to the hotel so it is constantly updated and refreshed. The emphasis is very much on relaxation with loungers, comfy chairs, discreet little alcoves throughout the property, inside and out where people read and just chill out. The bedrooms are very comfortable, freshly decorated and it seems most of them have a stunnning view of the sea. The hotel is right on the beach which is very safe for swimming and for single travellers safe to walk on. I've been very lucky to stay in the suite and it sets a new standard for suites, absolutely amazing and well worth it! The food is always divine - tasty, gorgeous fresh fruit, vegetables and a fantastic array of fish and meat dishes. I'm vegetarian and am always well catered for. There is also a very extensive award winning wine list that is all too tempting! The spa facilities are terrific, competitively priced and they also have therapists trained to treat people who are post surgery which is very unusual. The vibe in the hotel is all about chilling out and getting away from the real world. It is great for couples looking for a romantic break and for families. What I love most about Kellys is that it is the complete package yet unpretentious and somewhere that gets under your skin and draws you back again and again. I couldn't recommend it highly enough - can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank Medusa71
Cork
Reviewed 11 May 2009

My husband and I visited Kelly’s Resort Hotel at the end of April this year and found it simply Sensational! We went for a 2 night all-inclusive mid week break from Tuesday to Thursday. We checked in at about 1 pm and were greeted by the very friendly reception staff. Our room was not ready but our bags were put away for us and we headed off to La Marine bar to start the holiday! We both ordered from the Snack Menu and had 2 big delicious steaming bowls of chowder with a selection of breads. (The brown bread is amazing and they will give you the recipe if you ask nicely!)
We got to our room at about 3.30pm, as we booked last minute, we didn’t get a Seaview room, but this is really the luck of the draw, they don’t charge extra for Seaview rooms - it is on a first come first served basis. We didn’t mind, there was so much to see and do in the hotel that we were hardly ever in the room! The entertainment staff leave a note in your room to tell you what activities are on each day – you could be busy from dawn til dusk!

It was a blustery day so we wrapped up and took off for a long walk down the beach. There is private access to the beach, which makes you feel that you are a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Before you reach the beach, you walk through the gardens, where we spotted mini golf and lots of sun chairs, I can only imagine this place is glorious in the height of the Summer.

By the time we got back we were ready for dinner and dined in Beaches, this is included in the rate and unlike most hotels, the menu here changes each night offering a superb selection… the fish was to die for! There was a great buzz in the dining room, beautiful paintings hung around the room (and all over the hotel for that matter, we enquired about them at reception and were told they were all original and privately owned, we were given a catalogue on loan to have a browse around that evening). Our waitress was lovely, very informative and friendly, she explained the menu and gave us her suggestions. She was off the next evening so we sat in another area and had an equally excellent experience. There is a different waiter too to help you choose from the wonderful selection of wines.. you can have a peek into the Cellar from La Marine Bar. Tea and Coffee is served in the Ivy Room after dinner followed by music and dancing. It was good fun to watch, but we went to La Marine both evenings. It is great that there is a choice that caters for all ages. A few of these reviews complained about the children in the hotel, we saw children but the place was certainly not over run.. if you are not interested in seeing children, then don’t go to the Ivy room at 5.30pm (Children’s Tea and entertainment) it’s that simple! They have done a great job here of catering for all ages under the one roof with out one group imposing on the other. We got talking to a few couples that had children and they said it was the best place for them, meals at separate times, entertainment, babysitting etc.

The next day, my husband played golf at Rosslare Golf Club, reception organised it all for him and even found him a golf partner! I retreated to SeaSpa… just as the review before says..”WOW” – I had the ‘Totally Clarins” treatment, for this, I could use the Thermal Suite for an hour prior and the relaxation room afterwards. The reception staff in the Spa are lovely and showed me to the changing room, gave me a robe and slippers and gave me a tour of the facilities. I was apprehensive going in as some Spa’s make you feel inferior; this was not the case here. My therapist was lovely, spoke briefly in the beginning and then got to work! I spent over 3 hours in the Spa! My husband came back with me the next day to use the Thermal Suite, there is 15.00 per person charge for this, very reasonable for what you get and it keeps it from being over crowded. If you want a more active swim, head to the Aqua Club and it’s fantastic Outdoor Canadian Hot Tub!

We just made in time for the Buffet Lunch, the healthier option I liked to think! The chef’s from Beaches Kitchen serve here and were ready with whatever you wanted and a joke or two as well! The salads here are beautiful, I have stolen a few ideas from here! We sat upstairs over looking the beach. You can also dine in Beaches for Lunch, but with afternoon Tea at 4pm and dinner from 7.30pm, it was too much… and all included, I could not get over the value!

As we checked out, we enquired about accommodation in July or August and hope to go back and experience the wonder that is Kelly’s in the Summer!

Thanks for the memories!

Keep up the good work - we’ll be back ;)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stephanie024
Ireland
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a great 3 night break at Kellys Rosslare.
I have stayed ther in the past and it has always been superb, so I was a bit worried when I saw a few poor reviews. But as soon as we arrived I knew we were not going to be disappointed. We got friendly welcome at reception and we hurried to our room to prepare for our visit to the Spa.
I have been to several spas but this one tops them all as it has a SEAWATER pool, which only adults can use. Our treatments were great , and very reasonably priced compaired to other Irish spas. You can use the seaspa pool area for an hour before your massage, and afterwards the therapist brings you to a lovely relaxation area where you can have a herbal tea and nap for less than E80.00 !!!
We ate dinner in hotel dining room the first and last evening and in the Bistro on the other evening ....each meal was first class.

The staff throughout the Hotel are friendly and helpful, nothing is too much bother.
I will be back again and again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deirdree
Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night during an unplanned stopover to Rosslare.

Overall my stay was great. The hotel has 2 wings (old and new). I recommend staying in one of the new wing rooms overlooking the beach (although the beach or surrounding location is anything special). The new wing rooms (located in the building above the spa centre) are more spacious and modern than the old wing, some coming with a generously sized balcony.

The restaurant menu was basic, however I found it suitable for my 1 night stay.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly and accommodating to my unplanned stay.

The hotel is well designed and catered for each traveler. There is a building to the side of the main hotel purely used to entertain children - making the hotel a nice place to relax without the stress of kids running everywhere.

The hotel also has a spa centre (SeaSpa) - I recommend a trip. It was especially nice as I was the only guest using the spa and thermal pool at the time of my stay.

Overall my 1 night stay at this hotel was enjoyable, however I don't think the beach or location could entertain me for a longer period of stay.

Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We arrived to Kellys in Rosslare with great hopes - it was to be a last minute break for me and my wife. Let me point out that we are in our mid to late 20's and perhaps our expectations may be different from the average Kellys resident. However we are well travelled and have been fortunate enough to stay in many great hotels and attend some magnifincent spas throughout the world.

We arrived at 230pm on Wednesday ( we were staying until Saturday - so 3 nights HB) and were told that the room wouldnt be ready until 4pm. All hotels say this but this was the first time this has actually happened to me...ah well.

BTW - We had secured what I thought to be a very good rate 110e per person per night Half Board. Hence we chose Kellys over say Monart and seafield.

We were shown to our room - 2nd floor it was in the 90's- bad imporession straight away - the corridor is so old it reminds me of an east european 2 star hotel i had reason to stay in when I was on a stag in Budapest.......next the room. The room was so basic. Think Bewleys Hotels depressing wood finishing, very small, token flat screen tv, small (really ) double bed and two chairs and miserable table with a copy of Irish Gardener atop.....oh dear again. Room door had no chain or spy hole - probably not needed to be fair I suppose but things like this should really standard on ALL hotels today. Bathroom was good - looked newly refurbed and had a nice large bath and great mock "espa" products. However the location of the toilet meant I had real difficulty accessing it as it was so close to the wall. It looked very weird. Also the controls for the shower are at one end of the bath but they have put shower head in the middle of the bath. Again strange design and certainly not ergonomic!

I wont go through each dinner and breakfast we had but I will give a summary - out of three dinners in Beaches restaurant we had two smashing dinners. My wife in particular had exceptional fish. The winelist is quite simply wonderful and very reasonable. Glasses of very palatable champagne at 6.90e is really great value. The menu changed every night and good wholesome Irish bistro food is the call of the day. Not once were we offered bottles of mineral water - it was tap water all the way. Again clever and to be welcomed. Breakfast each day is first class. We opted for beaches once more as the buffet in the back bar looked overun with little people and a tad manic. I could not fault one aspect of breakfast. We looked forward to it every morning. Hotels such as ritz cartton in Powerscourt could learn a thing or two from the breakfast setup in Kellys.

The Spa - We had three treatments during our stay. At a cost of just over 200e for all three, this is somewhat cheaper than average. The spa menu list is wide and varied but be warned it appears that availability is limited so at least book the slot prior to your arrival. Again we have visited some of the worlds top spas and look for certain things in a spa. Seaspa at kellys had some and didnt have others. It didnt feel luxurious to me. Its a nice place. Certainly the most attractive decor in the entire hotel but it lacked the x factor. The male changing rooms were spartan. Some of the "espa" signature design could be found but Kellys definitely went for the basic package. For an example of the deluxe package have a look at Reethi Rah Maldives or even the Ritz Carlton in powerscourt. I walked in to male changing room to find wet towels on a bench, water on floor outside shower room, shower handle on the ground, toilet seat up with Urine in bowl, stains on the marble top of basins and Espa hand soap instead of shampoo in one of the showers. All small issues alone but together quite shabby. I used the pool etc before my treatment. It all looks good - nice and calming. I tried to work some of the water features but found they kinda have a mind of their own. When the worked they were nice. The outside area is refreshing. One thing i noted was that every window in the spa was filthy. Like really dirty. I know the location is difficult with seaspray/ salt air but they could so easily be cleaned once a day. The rock sauna has a great window feature and the window is disgustingly dirty. I thought the steam room smelled stale - not of minty/ eucalyptus like in other spas/gyms. The laconium seemed pointless to me and the floor of the sauna was too hot to walk on even though the actual sauna was not hot enough. The water fountain in the corner is all a bit ramshackle and water is not chilled at all or enough. The have an ice fountain which is a central gizmo in other espa spas but here its stuck in the corner all frozen up. My treatment was very good. I had a full body massage and it was good. Maybe the oils should be heated before hand?? The relaxation room after is just ok. Also some wagon was on her phone twice which is totally bizarre. For the record my wife said her treatments were first class save for her being called 5 minutes late and finishing few minutes early. Each treachment includes one hour of pool time but to use same thereafter is 15e. Disgraceful. Its not actually worth 15e but its just the aqua club pool is FULL of kids.

Other hotel services - gym is good except for the roude gym attendant s. Gym is noted as closing at 8pm. They prepare gym for closing at 745. ie the turn lights off - which when you are on a threadmill killing it at 12.5kmph is a bit dangerous.......anyway overall the gym facility is excellent although id imagine the room itself gets very warm in the summer as there is no aircon. Aqua club looks nice although it was so busy all the time that we never went. La Marine Bar is a nice for a drink and kids are banned after 6pm. The staff are a bit odd there though. I witnessed one barmaid compalining about hotel holiday policy and again witnessed the same girl giving out to another barman because he stepped in her way. She was a total weapon. Try the steak sandwich in La Marine. Its lovely and very well priced. The beach - easily the best reason about Kellys is the miles of unspoilt beach right on the doorstep. We walked / ran it every day. It was really relaxing.

Im not sure we will be back to kellys - our overall bill was 1100e for 3 days. For this price our room was so far from acceptable its not funny. I had enquired about swapping and was told the hotel was full. I was also shown one of the new rooms - these are MUCH better. Still not palatial but much more comfortable and functional. Not fair that i paid the same as someone staying these rooms. It slike a 4 star level and a 3 star level. Also there are so many kids everywhere......we love kids but it really got hard by the end of our stay. Maybe one day we'll come back with kids but till then i think we'll try Monart instead.

All in all we enjoyed our stay but it had some pretty serious negatives attached and I dont think we will be back - a pity as my family have been visiting Kellys for decades.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mgbentour
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosslare
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
#4 of 5 in Wexford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,593 reviews

Been to Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!