“Disappointed with hotel food and rooms did not live up to my expectations def no”

and 1 more site!
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rosslare
Dublin
Reviewed 12 May 2010

I recently spent a weekend in Kelly's with my husband and 3 children ages (18months, 6years and 10 years) and was very disappointed with the quality of the food and bedrooms. We booked 2 interconnecting rooms and were charged for same so was very disappointed to see we had 1 small double room en-suite and 1 adjoining small room with 2 twin beds and travel cot and chest of drawers and no en-suite - we also had to request a fridge as my daughter needed to have antibiotic kept cool, phones did not work and we had 1 shabby bathroom robe and no slippers for spa which disappointed my daughter more than me. My experience in other hotels has been that interconnecting rooms are identical in size and facilities. We ate in the dining room and organised a babysitter in the hope of having a nice leisurely meal but I can only describe the experience as being similar to a regimental army canteen operation (although dining room is beautifully appointed!) and our plates were whisked away and our meal was over in less than 40 minutes and we then were ordered to take our tea/coffee in the lobby/bar area. I found the food was very basic and badly presented. The second night we decided to dine with our 10 year old and 6 year old in the bar area.

The hotel common areas are lovely and they have a wonderful art collection. The children's entertainment staff are excellent and very good.
I found the hotel was very expensive for the quality of food and rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Having heard many positive reports about Kelly’s hotel in Rosslare we finally got around to booking a couple of days there when our 7 year old was on a mid-term. I love good food so I had looked up there menus before hand and I had heard that the food was excellent, not to mention the customer service.

On arrival at 2.00pm our room was not ready, this was not a problem as we wanted to get something to eat so we went to the Marine bar for lunch although the receptionist on duty did not seem to know that they were still serving snacks and had directed us to the restaurant. After lunch we went back to the front desk to see if our room was ready and it was, the receptionist handed me the key with no directions to the room and no information I would need for my stay, and believe me you need a lot!! For example and these are just some of the rules 1. no children in the bar after 6.oopm, 2. no children in the ivy room after 9.00pm 3. children’s dinner at 5.30 but if you want to eat as a family and this can only be done in the ivy room you eat at 7.30. We did eventually find our room, which was very well laid out for a family and had a beautiful seaview.

The Ivy room is a huge room with no atmosphere but does serve a valuable purpose as there are a lot of families in Kellys. This is what they are famous for and credit where it’s due they have all the facilities you need for a family, play room, tennis, crazy golf and an outdoor playground which my little boy loved.

If you are a return visitor to Kelly’s (and I suspect the staff forget that some of us have not been there before) then you know the drill, however I did not “know the drill” and was therefore very disappointed I did not find any of the staff particularly friendly, infact one of the waitresses was positively rude when I pointed out to her that the description on the menu was wrong she picked the menu up in front of my husband and checked!!

The owner of the hotel did at one point see us sitting in the lobby after dinner, we had picked our son up from the kids club and this was the only place we could sit or the games room apparently and he did ask us if someone was looking after us, that was nice.

I did have a most enjoyable time in the Spa which is really lovely and the Therapists were very professional and friendly.

In conclusion I would not return to Kelly’s as I left feeling very unhappy and as a parting gift….. beware of the 10% service charge on everything! I was not made aware of this when booking which I pointed out on check out but it was just ignored. We had no cash and so we put things on our room if we had known there was going to be a service charge we would not have done that. When the receptionist asked me if we enjoyed our stay I said it was “grand” not the reply I would be looking for in this current climate. Kelly’s is expensive and I felt not worth it, other hotels are offering very good services for a lot less, shop around.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Patsneddie
bkellyRosslare, Owner at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
Dear Ms. Collins,

Further to your letter on Trip Advisor, that only came to my attention today. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the bedroom with the view, the facilities and the Seaspa. However, I was most upset and disappointed to hear that Kelly’s did not live up to your expectations on a number of issues during your recent visit.

I sincerely apologise for the reception you received on arrival this is certainly not usual or the standards we set ourselves. I do agree your check-in should have been handled with more care and attention, unfortunately a new member of our Reception team had handled your check-in, unfortunately she had not completed the appropriate training. Despite this your letter has highlighted the fact that we need give a lot more attention and care to first time customers and on the strength of your comments we will put a new welcome system in place.

My sincere apologies for the less than friendly service you received in the Restaurant. customer service is normally one of our strengths. We pride ourselves in maintaining a very high standard at all times, this was certainly not the case with your visit. The 10% service charge is added to all bills and this is advertised on all our brochures, internet information and explained when making your booking, it avoids a constant tipping scenario in a Resort Hotel like ours. However, I do apologise if you were not made aware of this prior to you arrival and based on you comments our service certainly didn’t merit service charge. I will happily refund this service with your permission.

We try hard to keep the standards up and regret that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion nor our Kelly’s standards either. It is a pity you did not mention any of this to me during your visit. However should you decide to return, please contact me personally at bkelly@kellys.ie and I will assure you of our utmost care and attention.

Although is it very disappointing to get such a negative comment on Trip Advisor during these challenging times we thank you for taking the time to write, as we need every now and again to be kept on our toes and keep up the good name of Kelly’s Resort Hotel.
Slaneyside
Reviewed 26 April 2010

After a lovely walk on a Sunday afternoon we decided to go into Kellys for a nice coffee in my case and a pint of guinness in my husband's case which was as always perfect. The coffee not so, firstly it was cold and had to be reheated which was returned over heated and lacking in flavour and nearly burnt my tongue. It might only be a small criticism but in what appears to be an extremely well run establishment and as coffee has become such an important part of our food culture I think one needs to get it right.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
bkellyRosslare, General Manager at Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2010
Dear Slaneyside,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. We were delighted that your husband enjoyed his Guinness but disappointed that our coffee was served to you cold after your walk on Rosslare beach.

My sincere apologies, I could suggest that you should only drink Guinness, as they say “Guinness is good for you!”, but I have looked into the situation. I presume you were in La Marine Bar and were served percolated Bewley’s coffee, unfortunately when poured into a cold cup it drops the temperature by 10 degrees. From now on we will heat the cup and offer freshly brewed coffee only.

Thank you for taking the time to write as we need every now and again to be “kept on our toes” and keep up the good name of Kelly’s Resort Hotel.

With good wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Bill Kelly
Manager/Director
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Myself and my three girlfriends were looking for somewhere to spend a special birthday given that we were all born within a few weeks of each other. We considered a city break but didn’t want the hassle of airports or to have to waste time travelling. We settled on Kelly’s Hotel in Rosslare Strand and what an excellent decision it turned out to be. We met in the hotel on Friday for lunch and left very reluctantly on Sunday afternoon. If you are not familiar with the location of Kelly’s Hotel it would be difficult to emphasise how fabulous the setting is. If you are a beach lover and like sea views well, it just doesn’t come any better. We were blessed with magnificent weather and quite honestly while sitting in the magnificent gardens that overlook the sea you could have been in any beauty spot in the world. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. There is a choice of dining options the informal Bistro or the more formal Dining room. We had dinner in each on the two separate nights we were there, for me the dining room spells out “special occasion”, its big, was very busy and has a great ambience. We chose to have breakfast each morning in the dining room also, but a buffet breakfast is on offer in another section of the hotel if you prefer. Our food was excellent, between four people over the week-end there was not one complaint. We also had treatments in the Spa which like everything else in Kelly’s is Top Drawer. The Hotel caters for all age groups from small children to retired people – we are about half way between the two. Finding adult space was not a problem, there are several quiet places to sit and chat or have a night cap. The only point I would make is if you want a sea view room you need to book well in advance as they are limited. We will never forget our “Special Birthday” and would recommend Kelly’s as a first class destination – The Girls April 2010.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank MB2704
Tramore
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Recently returned from a fabulous break at Kelly's. From the moment we arrived all the staff were extremely friendly and professional. Our room had wonderful floor to ceiling windows with a balacony overlooking the sea. What a view.
We thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the beautiful Sea Spa. The most relaxing few hours we have had in years. The inside to outside warm sea water pool is a must !
As you walk through the hotel you can only marvel at the art collection. We thoroughly enjoyed the food in the beautiful dinning room but to my delight the wine list was simply stunning. The wine waiter, John, and the restaurant manager, Pat, (whom we felt we knew by the end of the week) were so helpful in assisting us with our choices.
The only downside was that there was so much to do in the hotel and so little time. We will just have to return. Can't wait.
All in all we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa in Rosslare, Co Wexford really does live up to its excellent reputation of being one of the best hotels in the world. It is fabulously located in the Sunny South East of Ireland and there is so much to enjoy there eg fantastic food and an extensive wine list, friendly and efficient staff, beautiful beach and scenery, one of the most excellent Espa Spa's and great nightly entertainment all add up to giving you a holiday of a lifetime. There are also other fantastic facilities to avail of eg indoor & outdoor tennis, swimming pools, gym, saunas, croquet, crazy golf, good local golf rates, snooker, dancing and plenty of organised entertainment for children too. We couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more and left Rosslare feeling totally refreshed and revived. We
will definately be returning to Kellys again and again in the future!! Its just brilliant there!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2010

My family and I recently had the pleasure of staying at "Kelly's" , which I had heard so much about. We traveled with my husbands parents and our children. From the moment we entered the hotel we were greeted by very friendly staff. We checked in and were escorted to our bedrooms. We had booked two sea view rooms, but unfortunately they ran out of sea view rooms. The bedrooms were nicely decorated, very clean and had a lovely patio area where we enjoyed the afternoon sun. I honestly don't know why I was disappointed about not getting a sea view as we hardly spent anytime in the room. Our children ages 10 and 12 had the time of their life! They met up with other children and that was the end of hanging out with Mum and Dad. They went from tournament to tournament, crazy golf, tennis, table tennis and just had a ball. They even had a special kids dinner which suited them ideally as they have a hard time waiting for us to finish chatting etc. Now for the food, it was like eating in a 3 star michelin star restaurant every evening, simply delicious to say the least! We felt like we were eating in an Art Gallery, what magnificent paintings everywhere. I asked our lovely waitress one day about the art and she told us that there was a catalogue in reception that we could borrow and walk around the hotel to see who painted each piece. My in-laws just loved this and spent a few hours the following day appreciating the many beautiful pieces that hung throughout the hotel. We played golf at the Rosslare Links which was beautiful yet a challenging course and the best part was that it was only a mile from the hotel. We missed our lunch so the hotel organized a delicious cold plate for us which we throughly enjoyed after walking 18 holes. We enjoyed meeting the other guests in the hotel and playing bowls and table tennis against them. I actually won the table tennis and was presented with a lovely Kelly's towel at a most enjoyable champagne reception on our last evening. It was just the best holiday ever and we will definitely return again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosslare
Best Western Rosslare Danby Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Rosslare
Clayton Whites Hotel
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford

Been to Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!