“Should have stayed longer!”

Old Orchard Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Old Orchard Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My family and I spent only one night here when we arrived on the ferry. We should have stayed more nights! The Old Orchard Lodge is wonderfully located. The home and rooms are beautiful. But what makes it truly a wonderful place is the people! We were warmly welcomed and felt quite at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Janet F

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed at Old Orchard Lodge at the beginning and end of our trip to Ireland in June 2013. The B&B is ideally situated just minutes away from the ferry. Being just yards from the main road but down a side lane means it is easy to find yet very quiet (no traffic noise) and there is ample parking space within the grounds of what was an old, walled orchard. The B&B is a spacious modern house which nonetheless has much character. The rooms are spacious, well-appointed and immaculate and there are nice seating areas around the spacious gardens. This is a B&B of a very high standard. You are greeted on arrival by the friendly and hard working proprietor Kay Crean, who instantly offers tea and home made cake and biscuits. There are a couple of ground floor rooms, which are ideal for older guests and one has french windows, which makes it easier to bring in the bags from the car. The breakfast room is huge and comfortable too, and Kay cooks a delightful and generous breakfast. There are 2 good family pubs just across the road for evening meals, lunches, a quiet drink etc, though I would recommend the one to the right as being the best value.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We recently spent two nights here both on arrival in Ireland and at the end of our holiday before catching the early ferry back to Fishguard.
On both occasions we had a warm welcome from Kay with tea and cakes - very nice after travelling all day! On the first stay we had a room upstairs and on the second stay had a room on the ground floor. Both were clean and tidy with everything we needed for a comfortable night. As both times the June weather was cooler than we might have hoped for it was lovely to have an electric underblanket to warm the bed before getting in! One suggestion would be to place a rail or hooks in the bathroom as there was not really anywhere to hang wet towels. Had we been staying more than one night we would have been very happy to reuse our towels but would have needed somewhere for them to hang and dry during the day. Otherwise both rooms were comfortable and met our needs.
Breakfast offered a good choice of cereals, fruit and hot options. Kay was very happy to cook to order for as little or as much of breakfast that you would like. There was fresh homemade bread each morning which was really lovely to enjoy. There was plenty of space in the breakfast room so guests have an option to keep to themselves or make small talk with others if they choose. Kay was up at the crack of dawn I'm sure to help those of us catching the ferry to have a good send off and get to the port in good time (it is only a 5 minute drive down the road so no worries of getting lost or missing the boat!)
Nearby, a 2 minute walk, are two pubs which serve food. This was really handy as we were tired both times of being in the car. We had a little walk in the area - not many pavements so it's roadwalking but if this worries anyone Kay has a lovely garden and a comfortable guest lounge where one can while away some time before turning in for the night.
We would recommend Old Orchard Lodge for travellers as the perfect stop off before and after the ferry crossing.

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were comfortable but the downstairs room might leave you feeling a little exposed...
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Good B&B convenient for the Ferry at Rosslare. Kay, the owner is used to ferry travellers obviously and can arrange an early breakfast if needed to get you away in time. Breakfast was excellent and the service was very friendly. Homemade cakes and tea upon arrival were very welcome. The room was small but adequate and there was a TV and eletric heater which could be used to supplement the central heating if it got cold. There was an electric blanket also for very cold weather, which was a nice touch. The en-suite contained sink, WC and bath with shower over. If I'm honest the facilities were a bit tired and the grab rail in the bath was broken and there was no plug in the sink. These are annoying things and not a disaster and would not stop me from staying there again. We got talking to some people at breakfast who had used this B&B for many years.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have just come back from staying there for two nights and I would highly recommend them Kay the owner made us feel at home and she is a great cook especially the lemon drizzle cake that she gives u on arrival and I have recommended the place to my family and friends

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My wife, sister, brother in law, & I stayed at the Old Orchard Lodge after returning from Wales. We had made reservations in advance and prior to the ferry ride to Wales I contacted Kay about some luggage that we didn't have room to take with us. She said to bring it to her and she would store it until we returned. When we got back it was all just as we left it. To me this was above and beyond what I could have expected.
The B&B is located with in a short walk to two pubs. We ate in Culletons Pub and the food was excellent.
The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast was great. If I ever get back to Rosslare I will stay with Kay again!.

Room Tip: B&B is in a quiet location, both rooms we had were great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Staying there for just one night (taking the ferry at Rosslare at 8.45 in the morning) my wife and I were positively suprised by the welcome and the amenities of this B&B. A bath tub, no just a shower, a heated blanket (it was very cold weather), extra heating... we immediately felt at home in this lovely B&B, expertly run by hospitable proprietor Kay. Delicious breakfast!
My wife forgot her beauty case in the B&B and Kay really went out of her way to get it back to us in Belgium - further proof of Kay's dedication!
We will certainly return here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple