“elegance...but service needs to slow down”
Review of Beaches

Beaches
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Rosslare
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
ireland
“elegance...but service needs to slow down”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked beaches restaurant in Kelly's Rosslare on a Sunday this June 2014. My friend -who was my guest just loves this restaurant!! We were a "tad" late -but no problems -but when I booked I was told there were 2 sittings for Sunday lunch. The carpark was full, which augers well for the Hotel. We were seated in a lovely bright area of the big restaurant and speedily got menus and water and served by a very friendly waitress. As I hadnt seen my friend for a while we were still chatting when the waitress asked did we need more time?? This was after 5 mins of receiving the menus!! So we asked for more time but I had picked a wine and asked for that. Before the wine was served we ordered our courses-nice selection of starters and mains but nothing special-considering it was €27 for 3 courses + coffee. I think the starters came as the wine was served-almost just minutes after!! Mine was prawn cocktail, my friends deep fried Calamari and she loved it !My starter was ok , nothing special-off the tray of starters prepared , I suspect! Mains were very large-Roast beef, Lemon sole--usual sides. Service was far too fast-we had little time between starter plates taken up and mains served!!. Like a conveyer belt! ....maybe we were being rushed for 2nd sitting but there were plenty of tables free at this stage. Billy-the owner was making his way around the tables saying a "brief" hello and "asking was everything ok?"---I do admire this gentleman----he does this tirelessly everyday -at least twice a day in BOTH restaurants (La Marine as well)...BUT.. he does not have time for small talk and I am going to this hotel for over 30 years and yet he darent stop and talk or "recognise " you for fear of losing his "SWEEP" throughout the Hotel. Moving to dessert quickly.... I asked for mine to take home but said I would have coffee----was told coffee is only served in the other area -near dance floor . My friend enjoyed her dessert and with my dessert to go we walked up to where the after dinner coffee is served. I love good coffee-as does about 1 million Irish people who have possibly bought Nespresso coffee machines in the past 5 years!!..but the only coffee (tea is available by the cup--not pot!) was poured from like a water machine-dark liquid!! and may I say not pleasantly by the unfriendly ladies at the counter! This is mainly the reason why I am writing this review as I usually only write 5 star reviews!!i dont eat dessert but I like a double espresso to finish dinner---I was told it would cost €2.30 for a single espresso and similar for a cappucino if wanted? If this Hotel wants to take feedback and understand what might be value for money or 4 star quality( as this hotel is in many ways)--coffee should be served at the table where we dined and good coffee!!
I am a regular diner at La Marine -where service , value and service is second to none! Beaches restaurant should be attentive to each and every diner -even those of us who are near neighbours (not staying at the Hotel) but supporting it all year around.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank carrross

“Disappointing”
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

We had long heard about the fabulous restaurant in Kelly's Hotel Rosslare so went with great anticipation.

We were seated in restaurant which was very full and quite noisy. The menu read very well but as we were not given the wine list we had to ask for it. The waitress took our order and left us with the wine list.

Our starter of garlic prawns and pate arrived in less than 5 minutes - we still had not given our wine order. The prawns appeared to have been pre-cooked and flash heated (it is nt possible to freshly cook prawns to order and serve them in under 5 minutes). Our wine then arrived.

Our plates were cleared and we were served our main courses. This was a total of 20 minutes after sitting in the restaurant. No such thing as a pause between courses! We had the duck which was over cooked and a fish dish that was cold. The sides were cold. We sent them back and received a replacement. Again overcooked duck but the sides were hot this time. No point sending back again.

The owner apologised and provided us with complimentary cheese board, and didn't charge for the wine. This is not what we where looking for.

The desserts were average, nothing special.

This is a classic case of overpriced churned out mass catering, we expected good quality flavoursome food, in a nice relaxed setting . At €43.50 this is not good value for money

Overall a very disappointing evening. One which we will not repeat.

Dublin
“Dollar Bay”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We visited this beach on one of the rare sunny days this summer.We had been to visit the Hook Lighthouse and were looking for somewhere to chill out and relax.We saw the sign for Dollar Bay and took the road.
There is no car park-you just park at the side of the road and walk down the track to the beach.It is a lovely sheltered bay with nice sand and the day we were there the waves were good enough to have fun with the boogie boards.It was not at all crowded so was a very relaxing place to have a picnic and a swim.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank DublinRafferty
Wexford, Ireland
“Beaches restaurant”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The food was lovely, staff very friendly and efficient, we were made to feel very welcome. It was everything we would hope for and more. I love Kellys Hotel and restaurant and the service and welcome never changes,its always wonderful.

• Visited August 2012
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“Lovely strand with wide range of amenties to hand”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Brilliant. Child friendly - lots of activities including pitch and putt, playgrounds etc in vicinity - good range of places to eat from pubs, hotels, chinese, take aways etc

Visited July 2012