“Luxury stay in a very central location”

Clayton Whites Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Waterford, Ireland
“Luxury stay in a very central location”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed here on the May bank holiday weekend with my boyfriend. We were going to a function in the Wexford Opera House. This hotel is pure luxury from the moment you enter the reception area. You are greeted by friendly helpful reception staff within a lovely relaxed atmosphere. The decor of the hotel is very modern and up to date. We upgraded to a superior room for a small fee of 10 euro. Our room was very big, clean and with a lovely river view to top it off. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was big. We dined in the terrace Restuarant for dinner and breakfast and the food was delicious, with plenty to choose from. I am a fairly fussy eater. The service was friendly and efficient and the decor of the restuarant was beautiful and the view overlooking the courtyard area was lovely. The location of this hotel was perfect. You can't get more central that Whites of Wexford. We were only five minutes walking distance to the opera house and the pubs in town. We availed of the leisure facilities also, which were great. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. The staff could not have been more friendlier and helpful and the location of the hotel is fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel. We will definitely be staying her on our next visit. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Louise M
PeterWOW, General Manager at Clayton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Louise

Just a brief note on behalf of the management and staff here at Whites of Wexford to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and share your experience with others. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Wexford in the near future, if I can be of further assistance to you at any time please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Peter Wilson FIHI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
Belfast,Northern Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Hadn't been at this hotel for a few years, but it was great to return and see that things were as good as ever. Large underground car park made for an easy arrival and a friendly welcome at reception. Room was spacious and comfortable and had everything I needed including great air con. I had booked a great value DB&B rate on the hotels own website and turned up late for my restaurant reservation time, but staff were friendly and accommodating and the food was delicious. Breakfast too was fine, although the hot counter was served to you, so why not turn it into an 'egg station' so the chef could eggs to order instead of having to order them from your table - or maybe it is just me! Didn't have time use the Leisure Club, but looked good on paper. Free Wi-Fi was good quality, but would have been easier to enter name and room number rather than having to get username and password from reception. A minor point, but would certainly return without hesitation they next time I am in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TheBish
PeterWOW, General Manager at Clayton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to receive such positive feedback from our guests and it will serve to motivates us to improve our service offer and exceed our guests expectations when they return to us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Whites of Wexford in the near future.

Best Wishes

West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed two nights over Easter for a mini break.

I had booked a family room deal of 2 nights BnB and 1 dinner. The room was well appointed, and the only criticism would be the tired state of the carpet in the room. Stains are worn in and probably could do with updating.

Overall the service was a little slow in the main restaurant and the bar, but this was more due to the volume of people staying with young kids over Easter.

The food overall was good rather than being great, and an ongoing peeve in Ireland for me, is the desire to provide a "well done" steak every time every when you ask for rare!

The breakfast buffet was plentiful, but i assume due to the hotel popularity there is warning alerting you to the green, amber, red levels of patrons likely to be at breakfast on a weekend, and 9.30 on Easter Saturday was like Grand Central Station in rush hour, with queues for the hot breakfast buffet, but it was only a 5 minute queue.

I would suggest having a self service hot food buffet rather than a chef serving patrons would accelerate the process, and the need to flash every play of hot food under a broiler lamp for 20 seconds added to the delay.

Overall, the hotel tried to deliver on all aspects and the service was always delivered with a cheery "no bother" and you felt as though it genuinely was not any bother.

There are a few niggles but overall an enjoyable stay right in the heart of the town itself.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear aitutaki1,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m delighted that you and your partner had the opportunity to explore and experience everything our wonderful hotel has to offer.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you and your family back to Whites of Wexford in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 May 2014

First time staying in Whites of Wexford last week. Lovely twin room on 4th floor with gorgeous views of Wexford, food was really good although service was abit hit and miss we had to call someone over a couple of times rather than the waiters coming over to us, lovely ambiance in the bar on a friday night. Saturday morning breakfast was self service but plenty to choose from including healthy options, in the afternoon we went to the thermal suite for an hour, it was amazing! would highly recommend visiting here before you leave. Overall Whites made a great first impression, staff was lovely and friendly especially the reception team and would be my first choice to stay should i ever be down that part of the country again, well done Whites of Wexford!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Niamh,

On behalf of the management and staff here at Whites of Wexford I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for sharing your experience with others. I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay and that you speak so highly of our Tranquility Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit in the near future and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Cheltenham, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Really nice hotel, pity we only had 1 night here before catching the Rosslare Ferry to Wales. Very comfortable King Bed and good bathroom with toiletries. Good restaurant and bar area. We stayed on a Monday night and no other restaurants close by were open. Good free wifi. Good buffet breakfast included, with gluten free bread available, located in another restaurant area of the hotel. Spa facilities available. Walking distance to historic Wexford. 5 min taxi cab ride from railway station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy B
Dear Kathy,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review on tripadvisor, it was a delight to read your comments.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Whites of Wexford, I will ensure our team is made aware of your review as it is always a great morale booster to them to read such comments and know that all their hard work is appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We recently stayed here for one night.We thought it was expensive for what we got. The layout of this hotel is quite confusing with the room we were in was quite small and the fittings are showing age. One bedside table looked like it was near collapse. The worst part was the state of the bathroom, particulary the shower. As it is a wet room type shower, the wet room part was taken literally, water flows everywhere while showering!! Also the shower needs a really thorough cleaning as the flour and grouting are heavily stained. Its a shame really as the lobby area is quite nice and the location is great! We won't stay there again though..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MikeCP
Dear MIke,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Whites of Wexford . We greatly appreciate all the feedback given by our guests as we believe it can only help us become better at what we do. I’m naturally most disappointed to read that your stay with us wasn’t as enjoyable as it should and I apologies for that. Should you wish to discuss your stay further my direct line is 053-9174203 or alternatively my email address is pwilson@whitesofwexford.ie .

General Manage
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My partner and I arrived on a Friday and decided to eat in the restaurant. The setting was terrible with bright lights shining onto the tables, no music and general chaos! during the meal we had 6 different people serving us so no one actually knew what was going on and there was no personal touch. The food was extremely poor, my partner got the beef bourguignon which looked like and tasted like a microwaved dinner and with my fish was raw!! When I told the waiter the fish was raw he said that it was meant to be like that??? by the time they asked me if I would like something else my partner had finished his meal so i didn't bother ordering anything else. I would eat elsewhere in the town. The breakfast the next morning was no better.
The rooms are basic and did not even provide information about the spa or amenities in the hotel or surrounding areas.
Overall I would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for a relaxing get away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank deda20
Dear Deda20

Thank you for your recent review, I have discussed your comments with our Head Chef Sean Ahern and Gary Hunt our Food & Beverage Manager and their teams, who assure me that they will do their utmost to keep the high standards we are renowned for over the years.

We regret that we did not live up to your expectations and at this stage can only ask you to accept our sincere apologies. We hope you will give us the chance at some future date to redeem ourselves, please contact me personally at pwilson@whitesofwexford.ie, when you wish to return.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review as we need every now and again to be “kept on our toes” and keep up the good name of Whites of Wexford.

With good wishes.

Peter Wilson FIHI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
Talbot Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Clayton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!