“Good food, pleasant atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Opera Steakhouse and Pizzaria - CLOSED

Opera Steakhouse and Pizzaria
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, pleasant atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We arrived at 7 on Thursday to a very friendly atmosphere. The room was nicely decorated with a warm glow from the wood-burning stove. The service was efficient and the food was great at a reasonable price.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Michael D

“Avoid Avoid Avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked a table for 12 people for 8pm. Arrived at 7.55pm and was told our table wasnt ready yet. At 8.10 I asked when we would be seated as the table was booked for 8pm and we were just standing around having not been offered a drink while we waited. Was rudely told by the staff that they were waiting for all of or party of 12 to arrive before seating us. With a pregnant lady in our party I found this unacceptable.

When we were finally seated we were told they had no pizzas available that night - a pizzeria with no pizza's is a joke. No-one came to take our drinks order and so we each had to stop the waiter individually to order drinks before he dashed off again.

Starters came and food was ok,but plates weren't cleared from the table for a long time.

At 9.35 one of the waiters advised they had run out of one of the steaks and offered an alternative, advising that this had caused a delay.

9.45 came and still no sign of our mains and so I approached the waiting staff to find out how much longer we would be waiting. Received a very rude from both the male and female waiting staff who told me "the food is made to order and that it was on its way". I advised him that with all respect we had been told this at 9.35 and it hadn't come yet. The upity waiter then proceeded to get smart with me and told me it "wasn't a problem" and I had to point out that our was very much a problem as we were there to celebrate an occasion not wait nearly 2 hours for our food.

Our mains eventually arrived at 9.55, by which time half of the party had stepped outside for a smoke. The waiting staff left some of their meals on the table going cold which I think is ridiculous. I asked for rare steak and when it came it was well done. I raised this with the waitress who was very rude and said she'd send it back of I wanted. Given that it had taken 2 hours for out to come I didn't bother sending out back but it was really disappointing to wait so long for an order that then arrives tough as an old boot.

When it came to getting the bill the service was no better and we each had to queue up to pay like McDonalds. Given the poor service they have a discount of 10% but quite frankly this didn't change the fact that we were over TWO and a HALF HOURS in the restaurant for TWO COURSES.

I cannot highlight strongly enough how poor the service was and the attitudes from the waiting staff was quite frankly appalling. They restaurant and even that busy so there really is no excuse for such poor service.

Will definitely not be returning and would most certainly not recommend to a friend.

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank SparklingEms
Carlow, Ireland
“Tasty, relaxed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Myself and OH recently dined in Opera on a Saturday evening. On arrival at about 7 the place was very quiet, but over the course of our dinner it filled up and this created a nice atmosphere.

Our waiter was friendly and chatty, and attentive without being overbearing. And most importantly, the food was yummy. Unpretentious and delicious, and we weren't rushed which was lovely, we had lots of time to chat and relax in between courses (but weren't waiting too long for the next course either!).

After finishing desert, we still had some wine to get through, but we never felt under pressure to finish up and move on which was great. We sat by the fire chatting for about an hour after the last bite was eaten. Just so chilled out and relaxed.

Value for money? I felt that we definitely got what we paid for. We'll be back, next time maybe we'll bring some friends.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank msfantasticme
ireland
“Vegan Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My friend and I went along to Opera in November where we enjoyed the most delicious vegan meal. The staff were fantastic and the menu incredible: lots of choice, adventurous and many new things to try. I would recommend this restaurant wholeheartedly!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank duffo23
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice pre christmas dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Met up with friends here before Christmas.
Had a really nice meal that was great value for money. The service was attentive yet not intrusive. The early bed menu was excellent at a great price with a good range of dishes. Will definitely go back when I am in Wexford again.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank conorbuggy
tucker1001, Manager at Opera Steakhouse and Pizzaria, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Very happy 2 here you had a great evening here at opera steak house and look forward 2 seeing you again