“Excellant riding school”

Wexford, Wexford, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellant riding school”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Lovely venue, staff are helpful and friendly and the whole place is amazingly well run. Really great place to go if you're on holidays

Visited June 2013
7 Thank Martha C
Catherine W, Owner at Shelmalier Stables, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you so much, our staff really try to run the place well. Hope to see you again.

Rosslare, Wexford, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent and Enjoyable”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I've been horse riding at Shelmalier Stables for over 10 years. The staff are very helpful and very friendly. The animals are well cared for. The establishment has always been well managed. All staff show great respect to everyone and the animals. I still attend Shelmalier Stables for regular lessons. I highly recommend this to everyone who is interested in horse riding lessons.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank Shaunaah C
Hi Shaunaah C, we know you love all the horses here, as do we!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent facility”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have being involved with Shelmalier Stables for over 20 years- first as a young child learning to horse ride. From this, I trained as a working pupil for my BHS exams, qualified as a BHSAI and worked as an instructor and ride leader for a number of years.
I have always found this establishment to be extremely well managed and the horses are incredibly well cared for. The attention to detail that the management extend to their horses, staff and customers is to be applauded.
Each person who walks through the doors is indivially assessed and lessons and treks are tailored to their indivial needs.
The horses are very well cared for- well groomed, well feed, have allocated rest days and have daily turnout- they could not be treated better.
I still attend Shelmalier Stables for regular lessons on my own horses, and attribute much of my sucess in eventing to the excellent tutition and instruction which I receive at Shelmalier Stables.
I cannot rate this establishment highly enough.
Deirdre

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Deirdre-skittles
Hi Deirdre, while I appreciate you attributing your success to our "excellent tuition", your success in eventing is largely due to your own commitment and hard work, as teachers can only provide information and guidance but ultimately it is up to you to put it into practise. Wishing you continued success.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, professionally run, excellent and pleasant staff.”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Entirely disagree with the previous comment. Was a very enjoyable experience - meeted and greeted by very friendly and professional staff. Very pleasant trek - lovely scenery and small group setting. The young man accompanying us was professional and knowledgeable and ensured everyones safety at all times. He was friendly and chatty. It was obvious that the animals were extremely well cared for, as all the leaders showed great respect and care towards the animals. Would highly recommend this activity to adults and children alike. Being a beginner myself - would strongly consider riding lessons here as I was so impressed with how well it was managed.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank Mariekathleen
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, you did so much to restore staff morale. Hope to see you again.
Wexford, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Rude, expensive, cruel.”
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

As a group of four adults , our phone call booking portrayed a decorative scenic pony trekking route ... First of all was registering the usual insurance procedure I assume , then came the protective smelly clothing , wrong sizes , hats too small and shoes too big .... Our instructor who was only a boy of 23 an out of work school teacher was very ! Rude, and thought he was in the class room ordering little kids around... Our minimum one hour a bare hour trek had 8 in total , half of who were only tiny kids, the trek consisted of a worn out gravelly dirt track, through a few trees , rubbish either side and the odd burnt patch of forestry leading around in a direct circle , nothing like it had been prtrayed to us on our phone booking ,normal walking might take 10 or 15 mins... No galloping no trotting no talking .... As this principal want to be , was a pure dictator ... Very over priced at €25 a head... Then once dismounting and holding the horses for the next group and already these poor animals had already been on a tour with a previous group .. Some of these poor animals legs were stiff and this very arrogant unemployed teacher stretched their legs so they could continue to make money for this shambles of a set up of theirs ... After changing out of this stinking equipment , not even a goodbye or thank you from anyone ... Only thing up this back end of no where stables was the lovely view .. But no way would recommend anyone to come here ... Ignorant , rude, expensive and ashamed to say its based in my own lovely county.

Visited August 2013
10 Thank Joe L
Catherine W, Owner at Shelmalier Stables, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
I regret that I am only responding to you now as I did not realise we were listed on Trip Advisor. Apart from yours, I am thrilled to see the other reviews are favourable. Thank you so much to those people for their time and effort. It is a pity that you did not enjoy your pony trek. However, I think it would have been much more appropriate to have asked to speak to me, the owner, rather than using a public forum to launch an unwarranted attack on an employee.

Your instructor is hardly a “boy” having been a qualified horse riding instructor and Equestrian Tourism Ride Leader for over 6 years. To sneer that he was “out of work” is insulting to both him and all those people who are in fact in that unfortunate situation through no fault of their own due to the current economic climate. It is also completely inaccurate as he has been employed in the equine industry since he left school, even whilst studying for his Bachelor of Science degree, which has also qualified him to teach secondary school.

You seem to take exception to your instructor’s effort to carry out his duty as Senior Instructor to try to ensure the safety and welfare of all the riders and horses on the trek and to comply with both Coillte regulations for riding in their forest; and AIRE’s regulations for the approval of riding centres. This includes the completion of a registration form, the purpose of which is to give us your contact details, for you to inform us of your riding experience and any medical conditions for which we may need to take special precautions; and also to ensure that you are aware that riding is a risk sport.

The protective equipment which you were the supplied with free of charge was of the highest standard available and kept in very hygienic condition. It is incredible that you claim that your hat and boots were the wrong size as we have 53 hats, 69 body protectors and 106 pairs of boots from which to supply the eight riders on your trek. We have all sizes from the smallest to the largest available and more than most tack shops!

The group was then assessed in the arena. Both instructors have confirmed that your actual riding ability was way below your stated ability. They say that had you cantered, never mind the galloping that you wanted to do, you would almost certainly have frightened and hurt your horse by banging on his back and balancing your entire weight off his mouth, hanging onto the reins in your efforts to stay on – cruelty in itself! Your horse would probably have panicked and run away to escape the pain and the other “less experienced” members of your party would have been unable to prevent their horses following. Remember the remainder of your party stated that one of them could trot but not canter; and the other two stated that they had never ridden. Whatever about you falling off, I think you have a duty of care to both the horse you are riding and the other riders on the trek.

Actually – regarding the other party on your trek – you state that they were tiny kids – they were actually aged 31, 16, 12 and six years and had more experience than two members of your group. However, they, along with two members of your own party, chose not to trot but to walk along the lovely forestry tracks enjoying the scenery. I cannot understand your apparent disdain for children participating in what is essentially a family activity. Here, we all just love to see the look of delight when children first sit up on a pony, have their first trot, canter or jump. Both beginners and children will always be welcome to ride at Shelmalier!

It would appear to me that this trek would have been a lot more enjoyable for everyone had it not been for your own behaviour, thus putting your instructor in such a position that he had to ask you several times to comply with safety procedures. You lit up a cigarette whilst riding the horse in the woods, which could have resulted in a dropped cigarette setting the tinder-dry forest on fire, burning the horse or even setting its mane alight. It has happened – fortunately, not here.

Your repeated passing out of other horses was dangerous to riders and horses as it can cause competitive behaviour between horses such as kicking, biting or bolting. Your repeated unfastening of the chinstrap of your helmet, was dangerous – admittedly only for you – as your hat would offer you no protection in the event of a fall if it fell off first!

Your allegation of cruelty by us to our horses is completely inadmissible. They are all well-loved – in excellent condition, regularly wormed, vaccinated, shod and all have well fitting tack and rugs. None of them work anywhere near the maximum number of hours permitted by AIRE each week, all get regular days off and holidays. We also have so much respect for our horses and concern for their well-being that we are 100% prepared to turn away business where it would result in them being ridden recklessly by uncaring riders or being galloped on hard ground, which can cause permanent lameness.

I am sorry you thought the pony trek expensive. It is average for the area and considering the level of care we provide for both our horses and riders, the profit margin is small. It is considerably less than the €40-€45 per hour several establishments in Wicklow and Kilkenny are charging. As I personally took the booking for your trek, I can assure you that I was very clear on exactly what we offered and the cost.

I think your inaccuracies do a great deal of disservice to both the people who read Trip Advisor’s reviews and to all those people who make every effort to promote tourism in this lovely county of Wexford, by making every effort possible to provide a good service. I don’t think people would return to Co. Wexford and ride at Shelmalier time and time again if they were unhappy with the experience.