“Oh dear..”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in County Wicklow
Poulaphouca House Hotel
Ranked #97 of 109 County Wicklow B&B and Inns
Ireland
“Oh dear..”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Our joke for the night was that we felt like we were in a horror movie. Seemed to be a deserted building in desperate need of renovation. We were attending a wedding in Tulfarris, so weren't overly bothered as we'd only be there for a few hours. 90e is a rip off for the place. We had a note in the room when we arrived back at 3.30am to say the last breakfast would be at 9 as the lady of the house was going out. Very unprofessional. 10e each way to Tulfarris. Expensive night for what it was, if going to Tulfarris stay elsewhere. Room was clean & beds were comfy

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank johamma

Business
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was here last Saturday night for a party and we stayed over. I was pleasantly surprised by the room, the place looks a little ramshackle but our room was lovely, nice and warm. The shower is so powerful it'd double as a massage! The food was good for the party and they served me the best veggie breakfast I've ever had in the morning. Hats off to the cook. A sign telling you to go into the bar to check in would be handy but that's a minor quibble. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I never actually got to stay at this premises but I did try - several times! I'm attending a Wedding in the area and was given the name and phone number of this hotel as a possible place to stay.
I emailed a request as there was never an answer when I rang......I started to think that it was closed down. I eventually got a reply back by email to say that there was a room available on the night I requested. I then emailed back three times to book this room as I was unable to speak with anyone over the phone but I never received a reply back.
Eventually I got through by phone as I still hadn't received an email confirmation only to be told that while there might have been a room when I intitailly rang there was nothing availble now. The man I spoke with sounded very unprofessional and in no way tried to be of assistance!!
I can't comment on the interior/food/service and I never will because I would never contemplate ever staying there again!!!!!!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Caroline M

Travellers are raving about these County Wicklow hotels

Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

We were attending a wedding in Tulfarris and booked one night in Poulaphouca House. We found it, from the website, to be very good value at €45 pps B&B. how wrong we were. The website leads you to believe this is a charming and picturesque country house.

They were accommodating on the phone, allowed us to check in late etc. We knew immediately as we drove up, even in the dark, something was up. It looked nothing like the pictures, I wasn't even sure it was the right place. There were bars and a chain on the front door, which had a coded lock on it - more the feel of a retirement home or an old school building.

The lady who showed us in was very friendly and welcoming, we couldn't fault that. We were shown into a dreary looking bar to be checked in...no reception area. The place was freezing. She assured us the heating was just coming on now. I don't find it acceptable that a guest house of any kind is ever cold!

The place needs serious renovation. Hasn't been painted in a very long time, chipped skirting, decor wildly out of date. Room was icy (colder than outside). It looked fairly clean, but still very dated and in need of maintenance. At this stage we were almost going to leave, but it was getting late, there was nowhere else to stay and we knew we'd be back late from the wedding so it would just be somewhere to sleep for a few hours.

At the wedding we met another group who had turned around and left Poulaphouca as soon as they were shown their rooms. We arrived back in the middle of the night from Tulfarris. If at all possible the house and rooms were COLDER! We asked the night porter to turn the heating on and were informed that it is on some kind of timer and he couldn't change that. He offered us an ancient looking space heater instead. At this point we phoned every taxi number in the area until one picked us up. We informed the night porter we were leaving and would not be paying for our stay. We were lucky in that another guest had space in their hotel room down the road that we could share.

Never again, one of the worst accommodation experiences I've had, here or abroad. Friendly staff, but they need to seriously reassess remaining open if they aren't at least going to match the hotel with what it looks like online!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Sara W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We was staying over night. Very nice friendly staff. Nice visit, good price, good food. Room were very clean, bed comfortable.
Beautiful surroundings, i really like style of the house.
I really recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniela B
athy
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Drivng around Wicklow, we just came apon Poulaphouca house hotel, stopped by for lunch. best thing we ever did. food was basic good Irish fare and as fresh as you could possibly hope for.
staff were friendly and helpful.
beautiful rustic surroundings.
well worth a visit, if you want plush then don't go, if you want honest to god good food and nice people then go.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family