“Mediocre”

The Loft Lounge & Restaurant
Cuisines: American
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Have dined in the loft now twice in recent times once for a Sunday lunch and once for lunch on a Saturday. For the Sunday lunch we both had beef for mains which was ok nothing special and the gravy was vile very orange and oily, for starters I had bruschetta which was lovely very fresh, my partner had prawns which he found to be good, we were going to have dessert but after waiting 15 mins for someone to take our order we decided to leave it. For the Saturday lunch I had smokey bacon pasta which was gorgeous my friend had chicken goujouns which were nothing special and my partner had a burger which was ok. This time we stuck it out and waited for dessert my all time fav was on the menu sticky toffee pudding, it was nice but a shame the top of it had been scorched giving it a bit of a burnt taste my partner had baileys cheesecake which was lovely and light as a feather. Would I come back maybe just one other point the staff could do with a shake they are that slow

Arklow, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fab food”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just had sunday lunch in the Loft Restaurant , had the most fabulous tarragon chicken , absolutely delicious. A great selection on the menu its worth a visit.

• Visited February 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Superb food at competitive prices”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The Loft is on Arklow's Main Street and would be known to most people by its previous name, Kittys. Kittys reigned supreme for many years but failed to reduce prices when everybody was tightening their belts and is no more. That's enough reminiscing for now - time to tell you about what's there now.

Pat Lalor is the chef at The Loft and his motto is "when food is simple it can be spectacular". Pat has a long and distinguished history, and was most recently head chef at The Stonecutter in Aughrim which is no longer with us. Aughrim's loss is Arklow's gain however as the town desperately needs a restaurant which serves great food at prices that represent remarkable value for money. The Loft is this restaurant.

The dining room is simply furnished with wooden tables and chairs, a stove in the centre of the room to keep things cosy, and great music adding some atmosphere. I met an old friend there who immediately told me how good the bread was and confessed that she had eaten so much of it, she was worried about not eating the rest of her meal. I later

We were also given a plate of the bread when our orders were taken - beautiful brioche-like rolls and hunks of brown bread, both made by Pat, accompanied by good salted butter at room temperature and pesto oil. Once I started, I knew what my friend meant and had to move the plate across the table to avoid carb overload.

Shortly afterwards, our starters arrived : I had the Crostini - toasted slices of foccacia with semi-sundried tomato paste, fresh tomato, buffalo mozzarella with balsalmic dressed salad. The Hubs surprised me by choosing the Tiger Prawn Provencale - pan fried tiger prawns with garlic, diced tomato & wilted baby spinach. Both were presented beautifully and some swapping of dishes began "I'll swap you three prawns for one piece of crostini..."

Plates cleared, it was time for our mains. The Loft has superb steak from Ballyshonogue Farm in Tinahely which I understand is sublime. I was taken by the Hake supplied by Kish Fish. This was oven roasted with a caper butter sauce and mash. It was cold outside & this was perfect comfort food - the hake was tender and perfectly cooked, the capers added some bite to the buttery sauce and the mash was creamy and delicious. I described it to my sister today as "Nanny's mashed potato" and she understood immediately what I meant - it's how we quantify perfect mash. The Hubs chose the Chicken with organic Kale, Leeks & bacon with a tarragon cream. To be honest, I was lucky to get any of this to sample, as he wasn't in sharing mood. It was a fantastically executed dish and the side dish of carrots & broccoli were cooked perfectly - lightly steamed, tossed in butter and not the horrendous usual flyblown kidney dish of mush which restaurants still insist on churning out.

Eventually, we decided it was dessert time and started negotiating the menu once again. The Hubs got his order in first (such a gent...) and ordered the Sticky Toffee Pudding while I got my chocolate fix from a Flourless Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Bean Icecream. They were beautifully made with really good ingredients and we ended up swapping plates because both desserts were equally great. It will be my eternal regret that I couldn't finish mine - even more so as they were sent with the compliments of the chef & manager.*

We left The Loft sated and happy, surprised that a restaurant less than a month old can turn out such accomplished food at very reasonable prices. Our meal cost €67 for starters, mains, a bottle of wine & two pints of beer. The Loft is local, the food is local and the prices are very competitive - there's absolutely nothing to compare to it in Arklow. I firmly recommend that you should pay it a visit .

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Babaduck71
Arklow
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic, Excellent Service, Great Food”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Well done to Pat & Liam for bringing something to our town which was badly needed, a reasonably price excellent quality restraunt , we were there for staff Xmas party, fine wood, fine wines-all reasonably priced too.

We like it so much we went back again 1 week later, it was fantastic second time as well.

Keep up the good work

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Markcorc
Wicklow, Ireland
“Yum, yum and yum!”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Went to the Loft Restaurant for our work Christmas night out. There was a choice of 3 set menus, all with good choices and excellent prices. The restaurant was full so I didn't expect too much as I often find the food is only ok on nights like that. BUT, it was lovely. Not one person at our table of 20 had a complaint. Everybody loved it.

Decided to visit again on a night out with some friends and the food was even better! Superb. Great portions, beautifully cooked, very tasty and reasonably priced. All topped off by a visit from the chef who took the time to go to every table in the (full) restaurant to make sure everyone was happy.

The staff are great, friendly and helpful and all with a smile.
I would 100% recommend the Loft Restaurant and can't wait to go back myself.

• Visited December 2011