“Our Second visit and we'll stay there again.”

Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Arklow
Dublin, Ireland
“Our Second visit and we'll stay there again.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Woodenbridge Hotel for 2 or 3 nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal ; included in the promotion. We had a lovely meal in the bar when we were not using the restaurant. We stayed in the Lodge part of the hotel, our 2 nd visit. We would have liked to stay in the old part but there was a wedding party and maybe they had booked that section. The lodge is fine. It is modern, rooms are spacious with views of a strong flowing river. Good and free car parking. an ideal location for touring Wicklow or playing golf. I assume the local club welcomes visitors.
The wedding party had a disco on Friday night in the ballroom attached to the old hotel so we were glad we stayed in the Lodge.

Room Tip: Some wedding groups hold noisey discos so ask the receptionist to give you a quiet room in the Lodge...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pauldublinrock
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It is lovely to receive such wonderful feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay; I have to agree with you, the lodge is very relaxing and tranquil, especially with the river flowing behind it. When you are booking next time, if you ask for the hotel we will give you a nice room, and will certainly let you know if there is a wedding on, as you mentioned you liked the quietness of the lodge. We have many golf offers and packages with all the local golf clubs; maybe on our next stay you can include a round or two! We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Ciara Byrne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel, however the service we received from the main reception desk was often rather abrupt. The service from the staff at the reception in the Lodge was faultless.

The hotel is beautiful, however the lodge is across the road, and much different. Still, cannot fault it, the room has a bath as well as a shower, which is amazingly refreshing after a huge day of driving.

The restaurant/pub is the only one open with 10km’s after 5pm that serves food, so you can imagine, they are rather busy.

We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was faultless, however the service was the slowest I have ever experienced. A three course meal at a time when the restaurant was not busy took over 1.5hrs start to finish, slightly painful.

For the price, I think a bed and breakfast would be better, as the service in the main section of the Hotel and restaurant really lets down the stay.

Also is very hard to acess from the motorway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Belinda A
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing us such an honest review. While I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy some aspects of it. We always offer a warm welcome with excellent hospitality, however the hotel in comparison to the lodge can be much livelier, and unfortunately we do not get as much opportunity as we would like to have a chat. I am very pleased to hear you found the food so good, as we have built up an excellent reputation in the area. I apologize that you found our service slow, however I have passed your kind comments onto our kitchen. We have never received any complaints with transport or access, as we have many signs directing you to the hotel, however if you had given us a call, we would have been delighted to assist with directions. I hope that you will visit us again and give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Dublin
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel. The decor is dated but unusually, this adds to its character.Its wonderful to look at all the pictures hanging around the place of past generations standing outside the hotel, from horse drawn carriages to old motors. The bar food is more than sufficient to suit most pallets.Oh, the Guinness here is perfect.I would definitely recommend a short stay here. The location is beautiful.

Stayed August 2014
Dear guest,

It is lovely to read such a complimentary review, and I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write us one, as we honestly love to hear feedback from our guests. I have to agree with you, the lounge itself is immersed with history, hopefully you got a chance to read our historical brochure, it offers an in-depth historical review of the area and, is a good read too! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the character of the hotel, it’s not often you can say you had a cold pint of Guinness in the oldest hotel in Ireland, We hope to welcome you back here very soon.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Booked into Woodenbridge hotel for two nights whilst attending a friends wedding reception. This is a really quaint little hotel full of character. There is lots of old photographs on the wall of many historical figures and decor is old style. There is also a lovely piano and it was nice that one of our group could play a few tunes. Found the staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was really good and other meals were super too. There was a great live vocalist in the bar on Saturday night. It is a great hotel for wedding receptions because of the wonderful green lush surroundings.
My room overlooked a garden area where we could see a staff member bringing in some fresh herbs.
Our group all agreed that we had a very special time there and hope to return for the anniversary party. A big thank you to Lorcan who found my camera which I felt sure was never to be seen again.
Would really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Middelburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived too early for the restaurant and decided to wait until they opened. When it was time we had to wait for another 10 minutes until we asked someone to help. They did not seem eager to help so decided to eat on the pub afterall. Had to wait for almost an hour to get our food, neighboring table sent their good back. Food was average. My daughter's hamburger was just meat between buns. What does it take to put some lettuce, a slice of tomato and maybe some pickles and sauce on it? My pork belly was okay but the chips were mushy. Tasted like they were kept heated for a long time. Not an enjoyable experience I am afraid.

Stayed July 2014
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us an honest review. I would firstly like to apologize to yourself and your family that you did not find our food up to the high standard we set ourselves. It is unfortunate that you did not mention it to staff on the day as we take complaints regarding our food very seriously, and investigate issues immediately should they arise. The quality of our food is very important to us, and our ingredients are all sourced locally where possible. I am particularly disappointed about your daughter’s hamburger as we do not cut corners when it comes to our food, and as a result we have built up a very good reputation for dining in the area. As a family owned and managed hotel, we take very seriously all negative feedback and would hate to lose a good customer as a result, our general manager would like to discuss it with you further on 0402-35146, and we would be delighted to take your call.
Kindest regards,
Cambridge, England
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've just got back to England from a trip to Wicklow to scatter my Mother's ashes. We stayed at The Woodenbridge and thank goodness we did. The trip was organised at quite short notice, but the hotel bent over backwards to accommodate our ever-changing requests. Sandwiches for our late arrival, a picnic for the climb up Croghan and a party in the evening for 30 guests: the e-mails flew back and forth and the staff were always positive.
We stayed in the Lodge and found it clean and very quiet - very surprised by some of the negative comments here about these two items. It was great to be able to leave the jolly, heaving bar - both nights we staying they were hosting weddings - and retreat to perfect calm.
They also did us proud for our party, setting up a projector so that I could show slides of my mother's life, slipping in extra places when my counting proved defective! - and the food was very good. I notice some complaints here about the dinners and breakfasts, but I think these people are being over-picky. The Woodenbridge is not a 5 star Dublin hotel, it's a great place that serves the community as well as a lot of visitors. I was amazed at the efficiency of the kitchen, feeding us promptly at the same time as the wedding party of 100. My meal was very tasty and a 'cut above' traditional.
As I'm sure the owners of The Woodenbridge will read this, I'd like to thank them here for everything they did for us this weekend. They certainly went the extra mile for us!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Annie,

It is lovely to hear such kind comments from our guests, we are thrilled to read your positive review, and I am glad it was an enjoyable one to celebrate your mother’s life. I am delighted you found the food so good and I appreciate your comments in relation to our staff. It is very important aspect to us as we place a huge emphasis on customer service here, and I am particularly pleased that you and your family were happy with our service. We do our best to give our guests a ‘home away from home’ experience. I'm glad we could do our bit to make your stay such an enjoyable one full of memories and I hope to see you back with us in the near future.

Wicklow
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding reception here. It is an old hotel with buckets of charm. It is cosy and inviting from the time you step inside the door. From start to finish everyone is brilliant. Everything we wanted was catered for no problems at all. All staff were very friendly and had time for the children. We had eaten here on many occasions before but the food the day of the wedding was exceptional! Everyone raved about it. The rooms were all large with many of them in the hotel having a double and single. There are lots of cosy quiet corners to sit and relax in. The lodge across the road has a lovely setting with the river running behind it and again all of the rooms are large. We would have no problems in recommending this hotel to everyone!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Melissa & Derek,
It is always such a pleasure to receive such a positive and complimentary review, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your special day, we ensure it will be your most memorable! I am happy that you enjoyed the atmosphere and character of the hotel, and shall pass all your wonderful comments to our staff. I am particularly pleased to hear that all the guests felt comfortable and well looked after by our team, as customer service is our main priority. Enjoy your honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you both back here for all your future anniversaries!
Kindest regards,
Ciara Byrne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arklow
Arklow Bay Hotel
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge? Share your experiences!