“South African Birders in Ireland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Birds Ireland Workshops & Tours

Birds Ireland Workshops & Tours
Ranked #2 of 10 Tours in Wicklow
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Ireland's wonderful birds, wildlife and natural gems with Ireland's leading bird expert, Eric 'the Birdman' Dempsey. Discover the best birding and wildlife sites in Ireland in a relaxed, fun but highly professional way with Eric, author of eight books on Ireland's birds and wildlife. If you're a photographer, join Eric on a wildlife photography day and learn the secrets of capturing nature with your camera. Or if you just want to relax and enjoy our garden birds, why not stay at The Lodge at Sycamore Hill which is Eric and Hazel's home (along with Suzie the dog, two cats and the various wild animals and birds that call this place home!). Come join us for a nature day you will never forget. See our website or make contact with us for further details.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“South African Birders in Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Marguerite turned 50 on 17 March 2014 and we decided to do the bucket list thing and spend her 50th in Dublin at the St Paddy's Day parade - It was fantastic!! We stayed at Knocktopher in Kilkenny and mainly did our own thing, having been to Ireland twice before and done most of the major touristy things on those visits. Being birders, our bins and camera's are always at the ready. A couple of weeks prior to departing from Johannesburg, we booked a day with Eric using the internet and e-mail. A really simple process that worked really efficiently. We met up with Eric and Hazel at their lovely home in Wicklow and after some tea and still warm home-made bread with jam that Hazel had whipped up, we left with Eric to start our World List!! This was the 1st official birding that Marguerite and I had done outside of Southern Africa since starting this daunting task. The weather in the morning and early afternoon was fantastic and we covered a number of different habitats in the area around Wicklow. Eric in fact has a number of feeders in his garden and we were able to photograph a number of birds feeding at the feeders. All of the birds were naturally a highlight, however, the Whooper Swans, Red Throated Diver, Lesser White-Fronted Goose (Russian as opposed to Greenland), Lapwing and Crane were real highlights. The afternoon weather turned foul (remember we are South African!!). It was very close to 0 degrees and the pouring rain turned to sleet. Eric was adamant that he was going to show us a Northern Shoveller through the scope and stood in the freezing rain trying to focus the scope on the "budgie". He eventually admitted defeat and we went back to the house for some coffee that helped those of us with the thinner blood to warm up. I could go on for many more lines on how much we enjoyed the day with Eric. I would highly recommend anyone going to Ireland to do some birding to get in touch with Eric and arrange an outing. A huge thank you again to Eric and Hazel for a very memorable day. We would be more than happy to host you guys if you are ever in our neck of the woods! Best Regards, Roy & Marguerite McGrath (Johannesburg, South Africa).

Visited March 2014

“School Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We invited Eric to St. Brigid's G.N.S. this week as part of the Heritage in Schools Scheme. Eric had a wonderful rapport with the children and shared his huge store of knowledge in such a way that had children and teachers hanging on to every word.The girls were inspired to tell plenty of stories and to ask many interesting questions. As part of his presentation Eric brought us on a fascinating journey from South Africa to Ireland with the swallows and we were left with a renewed respect for our environment and our wildlife. The average score for Eric was 100 out of 10!

Visited April 2014
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“An Inspiring Speaker”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I heard Eric speak about birds at a summer course organised for teachers last summer. The day flew by as he opened our eyes to the amazing world of birds and the wonderful things that happen right outside our windows. I was delighted to be able to invite him to talk to the children in our school last week and the (4 to 12 year old) children were spell-bound too. He had them all entranced and, who knows, may well have inspired them to take a keen interest in bird-watching in the future. I would love to attend one of the courses at his home as I believe they are fantastic.

Visited March 2014
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“My experience at Birds Ireland Workshop & Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

One of the most exciting Saturdays I have ever spent. I know nothing about birds but like photographing them. Went there Feb 15th and what a treat. Firstly I would like to thank Eric for imparting a ton of fabulous knowledge on birds and associated subjects like feeding, cats, origin and migration and much much more. If you are lucky enough like I was to attend one of his workshops, you will be mesmerised by his delivery and the way he imparts this kniowledge and how his love of this subject jumps right out at you and hugs you, until you can hardly breath with excitement, while you try to retain and internalise his every word. Quite amazing. Then Hazel, his beautiful partner cooks up the most fantastic meal that would make any 5 star restaurant blush. And then you get to see Eric's expert colleagues ring these beautiful little creatures for recording. I had such an amazing day that I can't wait to go again. You don't need to be an expert on birds, you don't need to be a photographer, you only need to be a lover of natures wonderments and someone who wants to know a little more about these little fellows that fly into your garden. Thanks Eric and thanks Hazel....

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Viv S
Malmö
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I hired Eric Demspey for a day's birding around Dublin. Eric is a friendly and sociable guy and the day was very well planned. I got to see and take pictures of everything I wanted to and was taken around in his comfortable 4WD. His local knowledge of both birds and areas was outstanding and he also listened to and understood my requirements. Being a professional guide/tour leader myself my expectations were high and they were fully met. Recommended.

Visited February 2014