“friendly and fair”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wicklow
Wrexham
“friendly and fair”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We like this hotel, returning for a second visit after enjoying an overnight stay in May. Disappointed to find the wonderful Al Mondo attached Italian restaurant closed, but had a pleasant meal in the bar. One of our rooms on the first floor was noisy, with ventilation fans outside, but we were quickly provided with an alternative one on the second floor. Sataff are beyond reproach, friendly and helpful in every respect. Breakfast fine, though some of the waitresses a bit inexperienced perhaps. Conveniently placed in this attractive small town, this is a charming and hospitable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
North Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

14 of our family stayed at the Grand for the weekend in order to remember times and family members gone by.

Some of the family had rooms that could be described as adequate but the room my wife and I were allocated was lovely.

What I can say is that the decor in the rooms the rest of my family had is a little bit odd but not terrible, whereas the room we had [room 201] was lovely and well presented.

My sister was given a terrible room at first but demanded a change as soon as she got there, and this was duly granted. So good on you Wicklow Grand Hotel for that.

None of our party had issues with noise etc.. whilst there and so we can easily recommend staying there.

The food for breakfast was good and I would recommend the porridge with a drop of honey on it before having a cooked breakfast. No need to eat again ever.

The hotel bar food was very good as we all had a meal there on the Friday evening and enjoyed it, although my medium rare steak was a medium it was still very tasty and there was a good portion of chips and onion rings to really fill you up.

The bar staff were very friendly and could not be faulted at all, and it says something when even the cleaning staff of the hotel are greeting you with a smile and a hello when you walk past them in the hotel.

I must also praise the hotel for having a computer made available for free to the guests, it meant I was able to check up on the lottery numbers without having to switch on roaming data on my phone. Unfortunately I am back to work on Monday.

The hotel reception staff were wonderful also and even offered to take a bag off me and get it taken to the recycling plant on the next working day; I declined this offer only because I didn't feel right leaving the two urns that my mam and dads ashes had been in with them. I was able to find a recycling point myself for that [but they would have taken them for me].

As for Wicklow itself, I love the place but I was always going to say that bearing in mind it was where myself and the other family members were sent for summer holidays as children.

Go there and enjoy the place but take some cash with you as it is a bit on the pricey side, but then again the whole of Ireland is now.

I can seriously recommend the place though.

Room Tip: We had room 201 and my sister was moved to room 101. Of the rooms we saw - about 3 others - these we...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

For my hen night it was arranged to stay in the Royal Hotel. There were 33 of us loud and crazy women all looking for a great night - with very different tastes. The staff were amazing! upon arrival they checked us in in excellent time and quickly became accustomed to our whacky humor. We shared our grievance of the lack of sun on the veranda off the bar - obviously expecting them to have words with mother nature - but instead the receptionist showed us out to a gorgeous private garden off a banquet hall where, you guessed it, the sun was shining high in the sky! The staff gave us the run of the residence bar for a short time while we gathered together before traipsing the main street dolled up as prisoners up to Wicklow Gaol (I will post a review on that too). When we returned we were offered complimentary cocktails in the upstairs nightclub which to be honest was a bit empty so most of the hens came back down to live music in the main bar. The entertainment was amazing - they even let a few gals up to belt out their favourites. After the bar shut we were welcomed into the residence bar, once more creating a sea of black and white stripes :-). The sore heads in the morning woke up to a delicious breakfast and as the main hen I heard everyone's compliments of the staff and the hotel - every hen was delighted. I will definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

The room itself was large and the bed was comfy. Sadly did not get to sleep much as there were hoards of teenagers outside the hotel until about 3 am, drunkenly shouting and screeching while waiting for buses to collect them after the Saturday night club.(I actually can't describe just how awful and depressing this sounded) If you have absolutely no other choice but to stay on a Saturday night make sure you get a back room . They seem to have a problem with heating as several people pointed out. The night was very warm but the radiator in the room was on full. I went down to reception in middle of night to ask for the radiator to be switched off. I was told they would switch ift off from reception. It wasn't. Oh yeah, plus I couldn't lock the door and ended up putting a chair against it for the night!!. ('it's a new lock, there's a knack to it'). Got the impression they get these same complaints all the time but they are not going to do anything about it. I paid just €50 for the room throught their website but can only imagine they give the crappy street-facing/hothouse/locks that don't work rooms for this price

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Wicklow hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed here in early July for 2 nights. As a couple, we paid €200 total for the weekend- this included breakfasts. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful and all round pleasant and good people. Only for this, we would have checked out and gone somewhere else for the second night.
The Grand Hotel, is, in my opinion, far from it's name. This place is DIY through and through! In the bedroom, the walls were one colour, but the dodgy painting was evident around the radiators ( I prob wouldnt have noticed this if except that the previous colour was some mad, wine/purple colour) And the spots on the ceiling were splattered with paint (maybe there was an aim for effect- but I doubt it) Make shift wardrobes in the room- no doors, open plan...Lockers beside bed with cigarettes burns (smoking ban in place since 2004) Throw over the bed- also with complimentary cigarette burns(ick) .I was in an upstairs room backing on to the rooftop with noisy ventilation going on. This didnt bother me too much- but the room was extremely stuffy. Radiator in bathroom blasting out heat. (staff member helpfully rectified)
Breakfast in bed was not on offer. While the brochures that stated 'room service' was available...on our weekend stay- oddly, this didnt include breakfast. At 100 euro per night- this was extremely disappointing. So, we ate downstairs. A hearty Irish breakfast was served , by friendly staff.
Ample car parking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PayandSay
Belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights: 11th and 12th of July. At 93 euros per night it was a wee bit pricey. Room was clean, bathroom was clean and the staff were very friendly.

Our room backed on to a roof and the noise of the ventilation system ( if that's what it was) kept us awake. The room was very stuffy.

The breakfast was awful - easily the worst we have had in any hotel in Ireland, and we have stayed in hotels in every one of the country's 32 counties. The coffee was bitter, the fruit juice tasted like water, scrambled egg on toast was just a toastless plate with a little bit of scrambled egg in the middle of it. My wife's fry was a sausage, a budgie egg and a small, under-cooked bit of bacon.

We could not recommend this hotel except to say, again, that it was clean and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fairtrade
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed in this hotel May 22 2011 (or thereabouts - it was a long trip so exact dates are not in my mind)

As per the title - for 100 Euros - I think we would have been better off in a B n B. Isn't a Grand Hotel supposed to have valances on the beds - not bare mattress bases? Isn't a Grand Hotel supposed to have amenities that are at least in a decent state of repair (bathroom in particular). Look - it isn't a BAD place to stay - it was clean and warm - but not up to "Grand" status as the name would imply. Disappointing really for 100 Euros.

Room Tip: Check the B n B's throughout Ireland.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank diamondaze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wicklow
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
The Martello Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Wicklow? Share your experiences!