“Delicious, high-quality treats” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast
Fanwood
“Delicious, high-quality treats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I've read the other reviews of Ellie's and couldn't disagree with them more. Personally, I value quality over quantity, so I'd rather buy from a small bakery like Ellie's that produces a smaller selection of freshly baked, high-quality, tasty treats than buy from a large, commercial bakery that produces generic, bland-tasting crap. Ellie's is a very small bakery, so of course they won't offer as many selections as a larger, more commercial bakery, but everything we tasted was excellent. We did have some trouble catching the bakery when it was open, but we kept trying and are glad we persisted. The butter cake was delightfully buttery. The cinnamon roll was delicious. The sticky bun was maybe not quite as good as Mallon's of Ocean City, but still very good. The cupcakes were creatively flavored and artfully decorated - Boston Cream Pie, Red Velvet, Blackout (chocolate cupcake with fudge filling and fudge icing), Peanut Butter Chocolate, Vanilla with White Chocolate Mousse filling and White Chocolate Frosting, and a few more. And you know what? They tasted just as good as they looked! I'm an avid baker, so I have high standards for baked goods. I've had baked goods from Magnolia Bakery in NYC (highly overrated), Crumbs (overpriced and not good), Cape May Bakers (stale, underbaked, no flavor) - so I know a good bakery when I see (taste) one. And Ellie's is the real deal. I paid $18 for four cupcakes, a butter cake, cinnamon roll, and sticky bun. Overpriced? I don't think so, but I'm willing to pay more for quality. Sure you can buy a dozen cupcakes for $3.99 at Acme, but are they going to taste good? I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. My only regret is that I visited Ellie's on my last day of vacation; I'll have to wait until next year to visit again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Toms River, New Jersey
“Cupcake ok but the rest needs work!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Drove by this place and from the outside you would think its welcoming but we were not pleasantly surprised. The selection is very limited as other reviewers have stated. After purchasing goods realize there are no washroom facilities even to just clean your hands!!! Also staff was not genuine and seemed more interested in her phone than selling goods. It's a shame cause there could have been such great potential here.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cape May
“Some items are great; others are "so-so"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I agree with a few other reviewers about the limited selections in this bakery. However, I have found a couple of items that are really good: the bagels and the cupcakes. The cookies are pretty good, too, but a tad too sweet. The cinnamon buns, scones, and sticky buns are mediocre to below average. Two other things: It's expensive (2.50 per cupcake!---and they're small). Also, because there are no other bakeries in the area (Cape May Bakers is horrendous and always serves stale products, so I'm not counting them), many people in the area go to Ellie's. Since it is in season, you would think the owner would make more to accommodate the obvious increased numbers of people. However, she makes a very small amount. I once went there at 8:45 for a bagel (they open at 7:30), and there weren't any. I mean, you're open a little over an hour and you've already run out of bagels?? This has happened more than once.

• Visited July 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
“Okay but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

They were finally open when we passed by and since we have been wanting to stop and check them out we did. Limited selection, small serving for the price, ok but have had better here in Cape May.

• Visited July 2013
Fair Haven, New Jersey
“Not much offered”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were excited to try out this cute bakery, but rather disappointed at the very limited offerings. Stopped in for breakfast, but they had only a few different scones, one sticky bun and muffins. I had a lemon scone that did not even have a hint of lemon. My daughter had a sticky bun that was tiny but tasty.

Visited July 2013