“A real gem of a find! Friendly and welcoming pub with great food.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llangynidr
The Red Lion, Llangynidr
Ranked #2 of 2 Llangynidr B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“A real gem of a find! Friendly and welcoming pub with great food.”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Spent a very enjoyable two day break at The Red Lion recently and would like to thank all of the staff for making us feel so welcome. The pub is situated in an excellent location for exploring the local area and the village of Llangynidr also offers some lovely walks either along the canal path or if you feel less energetic, a meander around the village itself is also very relaxing. We took our dog Dewi with us and he certainly enjoyed the pampering he got in the bar from the friendly locals and also the tasty sausage I saved for him from breakfast! Which brings me to the food. Both of the meals that we had at The Red Lion were of excellent quality and generous in portion size. My husband ,who is a vegetarian, particularly enjoyed the home made Glamorgan sausages and my Mixed Grill was delicious - certainly no cheap cuts of meat there! We would highly recommend a visit to The Red Lion and we will definitely be returning for another visit in the future.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Had a mixed grill and it was barely passable. Cheap cuts of meat and the lamb cutlet was definately off but not according to the staff who tasted it but not in front of me. The answer was it was just strong flavoured lamb. Tasted more like liver.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank qwertfdsae
SarahFarr1941, Owner at The Red Lion, Llangynidr, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for your comments, I didn't taste the food in front of you because I thought that would be a bit rude. It is funny that you ate every scrap of other food on your plate apart from a very small piece of gammon and half of the lamb, all the other meat, chips, tomato, mushrooms & onion rings were finished. I mentioned your complaint to our butcher the following morning and he could not believe it he would never put off meat (as you put it) in our mixed grills. I sold another mixed grill the following evening (from the same batch) and they polished the whole lot off and said how lovely it was! It is sad to say that there alot of people around today who are just out to blag a free meal (even though they had eaten the majority of it) and because you were unsucessful in getting a free meal you felt it necessary to bad mouth us on trip advisor - tut tut!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Called in here for a drink whilst walking past, having left our hired narrow boat moored on the canal. We did not eat here, having ate at a hostelry down the road, but had several drinks. During our time there, we were made to feel welcome and had some intersting concversations with the friendly locals.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Magicwelshwizard
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Many thanks for a two day Brilliant, get away, booked by our daughter with Groupon. A nice village inn. Room small but cosy and spotlessly clean. Good food and plentiful. Beer very good. 1 VERY strong!! Staff and Locals VERY welcoming and made us very comfortable. Benjy, our staffy dog,spoilt rotten. They tried to feed him Boneos which he doesn't like. We explained his favourite treat was Pepperoni which they didn't sell. The next night they produced one and refused payment. Very happy dog. Would recommend strongly

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Draigy
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I do not think this is the norm but my family went there for lunch on Saturday 23rd March for a meal. We had the side room to ourselves which was great and service very good, friendly however and I mean this the meals were not up to the standard that I would Expect. We were sent the new menu by Sarah which was small but good, the chips were one of the main big selling points. Real chips cooked in different ways, but please tell the cook that they need more than 1 minute tooooo fry. Hard tasteless. I had the mixed grill from a local butcher in Brecon who does grissly gammon, pork concrete,sausage as a mash. Now I could go through the other 12 adult meals but NO reason an off day can be had by all. I hope after this review I do not get barred when I return because I've had many a great Sunday Lunch at The RED. A small but very attractive village pub needs to be on the ball 24/7.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Keith W
SarahFarr1941, Owner at The Red Lion, Llangynidr, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thank you for your comments however I am slightly confused, on the day when you were all here no comments about the food were made and I know you were checked on at least twice, once by myself and once by Richard. When the tables were cleared there did not seem to be much left on the plates the only whole item that was sent back was a full bowl of vegetables which you had asked for as an extra portion and not touched. It is more helpful to us as a business if comments like this are made on the day rather than on a website where it can actually do harm to the business. I know two of your party had the Welsh Cheese Chicken which is the most popular dish on the menu which we have been selling on and off for 4 years which everyone who has it raves about so I would appreciate it if you could tell me what was wrong with that and the same goes for the Steak and Ale Pie. As for the chips it does not state anywhere on the menu that they are real chips cooked in a number of ways, they are chilled prepared chips which we offer with seasoning of salt, pepper & paprika if required. I am sorry if you feel the food was not up to standard but please if you have any future problems please let us have the opportunity to rectify it on the day!
Ammanford
Reviewed 17 March 2013

If large boring "every room the same" type hotels are what you like then the Red Lion isn't for you. But if you crave quirky country inn rooms, a warm welcome from owners, staff and locals, real ales and lovely food served in generous portions then give the Red Lion a go.
We enjoyed two nights using a Groupon voucher and had a great time, especially thanks to Sarah, Charlotte, Jill and Anne, and Adrian for streaming his personal TV channel (Sky Sports2) into the bar after the main bar TV broke down (now replaced in time for the Wales v England match - who won that ? Sorry !)
Only try the mixed grill if you are VERY hungry. Or try the home-made pies.
Llangynidr is an excellent centre for exploring that beautiful part of S E Wales and the hotel sells guides to local walks.
The Red Lion is situated on a quiet road with no passing traffic so a restful night is guaranteed unless the sounds of a quaint old inn disturb you.
We will definitely return !

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betwsphil
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel extremely welcome. Excellent food and a great selection behind the bar. Location was ideal, very picturesque. Already planning a return visit in the not too distant future.Thoroughly recommended...

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangynidr
The Manor Hotel
#3 of 16 in Crickhowell
The Kestrel Inn
The Kestrel Inn
#7 of 16 in Crickhowell

Been to The Red Lion, Llangynidr? Share your experiences!