“A little hidden gem outside central London” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 88 Restaurants in Ruislip
Price range: US$37 - US$62
Cuisines: British, French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“A little hidden gem outside central London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

A nice place for Afternoon Tea. It was recommended to us by a friend. We enjoyed the ambiance of the lounge and could view the gardens. (We did not go out and enjoy them.) The sandwiches and cakes were delicious but bite-size only. Great for those on a diet. Lucky for me a kind waiter realised I was famished and prepared a platter of vegetarian sandwiches. Good man! We would have given excellent but for the wedding and funeral at the same time. Hence the slow service and too many people. It felt awkward - we did not know whether to smile or look sad. The Barn apologised and informed that we should have been told when we reserved. We will give them another try .. but I will ensure I eat before we visit.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank heetz

London, England, United Kingdom
“Pretending to be something it's not”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I'm struggling to reconcile the glowing reviews of Hawtrey's with my recent experience of Sunday lunch here. I dine out regularly - from high street chains, to the fine dining end of the spectrum - and it's been a long time since I've eaten in a place that promises so much, yet delivers so little. I have to wonder if the reviewers giving 5 out of 5 here are just staff members masquerading as real life punters.

My first gripe was that while the food menus were brought to the table promptly, there was a palpable look of surprise at the concept my wife and I might want to order any wine. The wine list duly fetched, we perused drink options while our food order was taken ...but then the waiter high-tailed it before we could give him the wine order too.

Cue 5 minutes of non-attention as we hoped someone would come back to take our drinks order. Giving up, I headed to the bar located immediately outside the restaurant entrance to ask for a bottle of white. "You're only allowed to order wine if you're dining in the restaurant," came the response. I pointed out that I was dining in the restaurant, as they could clearly see, and asked them to send someone in.

When the bottle of white we ordered turned up, it was warm. Straight off the store cupboard shelf I'd say. I told the waiter I couldn't drink it like this, but was happy to let it sit in an ice bucket until it was drinkable. Despite this, he still insisted on trying to pour us each a measure of warm wine. With our hands covering our wine glasses, he eventually backed down.

Sadly, the quality of the 3 course lunch did not make up for the comedy service.

The deep fried crab-shaped starter tasted just like ...well, a deep fried crab-shaped thing. The chicken ballotine main was marginally better, but still bland. And my cheese course (£3.50 supplement, on top of £25 for three courses) was a selection of different coloured and textured items, that all tasted of nothing in particular.

Hawtrey's is not the fine dining establishment it masquerades as. Sunday lunch for two with (warm) wine left me just shy of £100. I have eaten twice as well, for half as much, hundreds of times in recent years.

No amount of nice uniforms, white-gloved waiters and politeness (for all their faults, they are extremely polite) can make up for the fact that Hawtrey's has ideas way above its station, and is populated by staff who'd have Gordon Ramsay's temples bulging with fury, if ever he fancied parachuting in to fix things.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Mark W
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Just Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Everything about this restaurant is as in the title especially the food. Our experience there was just excellent and we would recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates fine dining at its best! There is nothing to dislike about Hawtreys. I wish we lived locally as we would be going there on a regular basis. Amazing food!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank AngieS252014
“OUTSTANDING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I booked a meal for my husband's 50th birthday and my in-laws anniversary. Food was simply outstanding. I fail to understand why this restaurant is not booked out months in advance! The service is professional and pleasant and the staff go out of their way to make your occasion feel special.

Ruislip residents are extremely lucky to have a restaurant of this calibre in their area.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank KC512014
London, United Kingdom
“Another really excellent lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I'm in two minds about Hawtrey's. Part of me feels it would be great if the outstanding chef and waiting staff got the level of custom they deserve for such a splendid, good value offering; another part of me likes the peace and quiet!

Food and presentation were to their usual high standard and service was delightful. If you're anywhere in the vicinity of Ruislip, go there.

• Visited May 2014