“Nice PLace To Stay IF You Have Executive Rooms.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Barn Hotel

The Barn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ruislip
London, United Kingdom
“Nice PLace To Stay IF You Have Executive Rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The executive block is a bit quirky with lots of electronic gadgets (blinds, lights) many of which don't work. They are spacious though and the new (firm) beds are comfortable. Bathrooms have not been thought through properly, some of the shower cubicles are long and narrow and it's impossible to turn the shower on without getting sprayed with cold water.

I've only stayed in the standard rooms three times and wouldn't recommend them. Small and basic although the last one had been semi-renovated. Still not comfortable though.

Good selection of restaurants nearby. Indian, chinese, nepalese, Cafe Rouge, Pizza Express and a boutiquey type of pub thing which I think is a converted bakery.

Staff quality varies but on the whole they are pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay away from the standard rooms and stay in the executive block.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thank you very much to you (Neetoo) and all the Hotel Staff who contributed to making Saturday 14th such a memorable event for us and our guests.
Our guests were full of praise for the quality and quantity of the food and attentiveness of everyone.
We were very comfortable in our overnight room, and Terry particularly enjoyed his full English breakfast, the first he has had for several months, since he has been ill and convalescing.
Everyone enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and its gardens, a charming oasis in the middle of suburbia.
We had two minor disappointments, the late cancellations by several guests because of ill health and our inabity to find a copy of the guest questionaire so that we could formally lavish praise for everyone's contributions to making it such a pleasurable event.

Thank you once again for your organising and the helpfulness and professionalism of all the supporting staff. Please pass on our gratitude to all those who were involved.

I am sure in the future we will be looking for an excuse to hold a similar function at The Barn.
Beryl & Terry Silcock

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Terry s
Stratton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Myself and 3 old school chums began working on a "60 Years On Reunion" (from when we joined John Lyons in September '53) some 20 months ago. The result of our efforts was shown last week 11/12/13 September 2013 when 22 Old Lyonians (and their wives) many of whom hadn't seen one another since July '60, congregated at The Barn Hotel, Ruislip. This was recommended to us by the Alumni Manager at The John Lyon School. Overall we were well treated but a word of warning if you try something like it yourself. Watch out for The Hawtrey Restaurant there. Despite pre-ordering our meals for an informal dinner for 16, two weeks or so in advance, they were totally unable to cope with 16 people sitting down to dine. We sat down at 19.30, were still waiting for first course at 20.30, main was served at 21.30 and desserts around 22.30. And even then some people didn't get what they had ordered. However having said that on the main reunion dinner the following night (12 Sept) the dinner for 35 people in The Cromwell Room was good, service was exemplary. Many thanks Neeto
Overall we were pleased, though those of us who opted for cheaper rooms suffered as autographstars said with noise problems. (See tip below).
Not sure we will go back there again when we have our next reunion in either 2015 or 2010.
One of the main difficulties has been the constant change of staff in our dealings with The Barn. If you are looking at it for a corporate event, and are planning well in advance, beware that you will probably deal with two GMs, three Assistant GMs and at least two Conference Managers!
If you don't want to dine in at the Hotel, I can thoroughly recommend The Duck House at the end of Ruislip High Street. Good food, pleasant surroundings and good service/value for money.

Room Tip: Go for one of the more expensive rooms. The cheaper rooms are cheap. Our toilet cistern had a mind o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Michael H
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I tried to get some information on booking a Christmas party here. The first person I spoke to didn't bother to send me the information I requested. I called back and spoke to someone else a week later who sent me a 3 course dinner menu (not what I requested). I emailed her back and asked her to send me the room rate, buffet menus and drinks prices - she sent the first two but still no drinks prices. I then asked to take a look at the function room and specified a particular date. That date came and went and I still haven't heard back from them. Needless to say I won't be chasing them any further. I can only assume that business is booming and they don't need any new business. I would suggest that the person in charge needs to urgently re-train the conference staff as I work in the events industry myself and this level of customer service is completely unacceptable. I will be looking to spend my budget elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LHEW

Travellers are raving about these Ruislip hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were married at The Barn Hotel yesterday and we are so happy we chose this hotel. Neetoo, the Wedding Coordinator, has been with us every step of the way, with countless emails and calls to help us organise the day how we wanted it - even down to creating bespoke meals for our guests and being very considerate to the needs of my sister with a newborn baby.

The food was good and the service excellent. The venue was good value for money in really beautiful grounds.

We would highly recommend it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Gemma078
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

We were here for 3 nights. The room was clean, fairly new (do not know if all rooms renovated), quite cozy.
The only problem was the small size rooms and the constant noise from the pipes. Noise is constantly repeated. Breakfast was average or below average.
At the hotel we did not spend a lot of time (we enjoyed London), so for sleeping enough.
PROS:
+ near subway ( walk 2-3 min Ruislip station)
+ Quiet area
+ Clean room
+ For overnight satisfactory

CONS:
- A bit far from the center
- Noise from the pipes
- Lack of privacy. It was very heard adjoining rooms

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I didn't know what to expect from this hotel as some reviews suggested that it was awful. Ihave to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. Having arrived to Ruislip Station it was only afew minutes walk over the bridge to the hotel. They probably should advertise this more.The hotel is a mixture of renovated barns and out-houses which were very Olde Worlde. Check in was very quick and easy. I had gotten a great deal for the room so was a little apprehensive when we went in search of our room - I'm always afraid that things are too good to be true!!!
The hotel, from what i can gather is split into two - the new suites and the older rooms based in the quaint houses. It is quite a walk around little cobbled paths to the older rooms but the gardens were beautifully kept. I'm not sure how elderly or infirm people would manage the paths but it was perfectly fine for us. Our room was in the back house and was lovely. Crisps, white sheets, plenty of tea and coffee facilities, a small but more than adequate bathroom - I was happy with what we got. We were visiting for a family party so weren't going to be in the rooms for long. We didn't get up for breakfast as we had to pay extra for anything more than continental so we decided that we'd enjoy a lie-in and eat up the high st later.
My only complaint is how ridiculously expensive a glass of wine was in the hotel - £6 for 125mls!!! Needless to say that we didn't have many drinks in the bar which was a shame as it was a lovely comfortable bar which I imagine is only gorgeous in the Winter and Christmas as it's very cosy. The bar staff were quite slow also. There were weddings and functions occuring so I appreciate they were busy but some of them literally didn't seem to know what they were doing. It didn't bother us as we were not in a hurry but someone else could be quite irritated by it.
Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and I would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank blondie1362
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruislip
Premier Inn London Ruislip Hotel
#2 of 6 in Uxbridge
Lancaster Hotel and Spa
Lancaster Hotel and Spa
#4 of 6 in Uxbridge

Been to The Barn Hotel? Share your experiences!