“Great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ruislip
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have just stayed for two nights at the barn hotel. The setting is lovely and the old parts of the building add to the look of the place. We had a standard room which was small but adequate for what we needed. The walls of the room needed a coat of emulsion to cover up all the dirty marks on it. The main part of the hotel was very nice with lovely furniture, curtains etc with plenty of room for lounging or drinking. Unfortunately after meeting friends and returning to the hotel on Sunday evening we found the bar was just closing. We said we were guests at the hotel and could we have a drink. We were able to get one drink and that was it. The next night the bar closed quite early for a hotel.We did not eat in the hotel as friends had booked a meal elsewhere as the restauraunt did not do meals on Sunday evenings but we thought the continental breakfast was beautifully prepared and the food was lovely. We would stay there again but perhaps up grade to a bigger room. ,

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I took advantage of a late deal, 70% off and I'm so glad I did. The hotel comprises of a number of Elizabethan farm buildings. My room was not particularly large but the bathroom was exquisite, the bed was comfortable but the quilt and the pillows were the best. Really warm, soft and snuggly. The receptionist was chatty and helpful. The only drawback was that after 8pm the car park was full to bursting.
This brings me neatly to the Restaurant. Because parking was so difficult I opted to eat in. There were good quality bar snacks reasonably priced but I elected to try the set price fine french dining experience. £21.50 for two courses £25.00. The meal and the service were superb.

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

in September 2013, we had our wedding ceremony and breakfast at this wonderful venue, yes the guest rooms could be a little more bright, but the our executive rooms were fantastic, we had family and friends travelling in from around the world, so its location on the underground and only 30 mins from LHR made it easy for all to get too.
The room for our wedding was done out fantastically , it almost felt like a church, and then the same room was prepared for our wedding breakfast, while had drinks and canopies served on the lawn ( the weather stayed fine for us)
The food was wonderful and we had a tasting session prior to our day, and the chef listened to our thoughts and prepared the courses just as we wanted, the serving staff were very attentive, and Neeto / George and whole the team sorted out any issues which came along, which if i recall was only one and that was our guests were drinking the wine very quickly !! so a nice problem, but sorted by the team.
They helped us in every way, and we could not have been happier with our day and the way all of the Barn staff helped out.
A little pricey ? maybe , but in terms of no worrying and feeling confident worth the little extra cost.
Treat the guys there as professional friends, respect their knowledge and the help is amazing , it was a real team effort and I can not recommend them enough

5 Thank Fargher M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The executive block is a bit quirky with lots of electronic gadgets (blinds, lights) many of which don't work. They are spacious though and the new (firm) beds are comfortable. Bathrooms have not been thought through properly, some of the shower cubicles are long and narrow and it's impossible to turn the shower on without getting sprayed with cold water.

I've only stayed in the standard rooms three times and wouldn't recommend them. Small and basic although the last one had been semi-renovated. Still not comfortable though.

Good selection of restaurants nearby. Indian, chinese, nepalese, Cafe Rouge, Pizza Express and a boutiquey type of pub thing which I think is a converted bakery.

Staff quality varies but on the whole they are pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay away from the standard rooms and stay in the executive block.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thank you very much to you (Neetoo) and all the Hotel Staff who contributed to making Saturday 14th such a memorable event for us and our guests.
Our guests were full of praise for the quality and quantity of the food and attentiveness of everyone.
We were very comfortable in our overnight room, and Terry particularly enjoyed his full English breakfast, the first he has had for several months, since he has been ill and convalescing.
Everyone enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and its gardens, a charming oasis in the middle of suburbia.
We had two minor disappointments, the late cancellations by several guests because of ill health and our inabity to find a copy of the guest questionaire so that we could formally lavish praise for everyone's contributions to making it such a pleasurable event.

Thank you once again for your organising and the helpfulness and professionalism of all the supporting staff. Please pass on our gratitude to all those who were involved.

I am sure in the future we will be looking for an excuse to hold a similar function at The Barn.
Beryl & Terry Silcock

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Terry s
Stratton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Myself and 3 old school chums began working on a "60 Years On Reunion" (from when we joined John Lyons in September '53) some 20 months ago. The result of our efforts was shown last week 11/12/13 September 2013 when 22 Old Lyonians (and their wives) many of whom hadn't seen one another since July '60, congregated at The Barn Hotel, Ruislip. This was recommended to us by the Alumni Manager at The John Lyon School. Overall we were well treated but a word of warning if you try something like it yourself. Watch out for The Hawtrey Restaurant there. Despite pre-ordering our meals for an informal dinner for 16, two weeks or so in advance, they were totally unable to cope with 16 people sitting down to dine. We sat down at 19.30, were still waiting for first course at 20.30, main was served at 21.30 and desserts around 22.30. And even then some people didn't get what they had ordered. However having said that on the main reunion dinner the following night (12 Sept) the dinner for 35 people in The Cromwell Room was good, service was exemplary. Many thanks Neeto
Overall we were pleased, though those of us who opted for cheaper rooms suffered as autographstars said with noise problems. (See tip below).
Not sure we will go back there again when we have our next reunion in either 2015 or 2010.
One of the main difficulties has been the constant change of staff in our dealings with The Barn. If you are looking at it for a corporate event, and are planning well in advance, beware that you will probably deal with two GMs, three Assistant GMs and at least two Conference Managers!
If you don't want to dine in at the Hotel, I can thoroughly recommend The Duck House at the end of Ruislip High Street. Good food, pleasant surroundings and good service/value for money.

Room Tip: Go for one of the more expensive rooms. The cheaper rooms are cheap. Our toilet cistern had a mind o...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Michael H
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I tried to get some information on booking a Christmas party here. The first person I spoke to didn't bother to send me the information I requested. I called back and spoke to someone else a week later who sent me a 3 course dinner menu (not what I requested). I emailed her back and asked her to send me the room rate, buffet menus and drinks prices - she sent the first two but still no drinks prices. I then asked to take a look at the function room and specified a particular date. That date came and went and I still haven't heard back from them. Needless to say I won't be chasing them any further. I can only assume that business is booming and they don't need any new business. I would suggest that the person in charge needs to urgently re-train the conference staff as I work in the events industry myself and this level of customer service is completely unacceptable. I will be looking to spend my budget elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LHEW

Travellers are raving about these Ruislip hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruislip
Ramada London South Ruislip
The Red Lion Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 6 in Uxbridge
Premier Inn Uxbridge Hotel

Been to The Barn Hotel? Share your experiences!