“Hidden and pleasant surprise in Ruislip”
Review of The Barn Hotel

The Barn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ruislip
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have been to Ruislip many times and grew up nearby but never imagined something like the Barn Hotel being there. It has a very historic central point and great converted buildings sat around this centre. I booked last minute, as I had an early meeting in canary wharf. The service is superb, the food was good and the room was larger and better than I anticipated. Despite being right next to a busy road and the underground, there was no audible noise from outside. Just one issue, the noisy water system in the pipes, which kept me awake for a while. But overall the hotel surpassed my expectations, so well done, and I would stay again.

Room Tip: I suspect they are all good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Catherine V, Manager at The Barn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your kind comments, we are really pleased you enjoyed the services we provided and I will pass on your comments to all departments concerned. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is popular with just about everybody, business people working in London, funeral teas, wedding receptions, anniversaries and birthdays, even a local school group enjoying scones at a long table in the dining room.
Good parking at the front - with more at the back for those staying in the hotel.
Only one restaurant but you can get a tea in the lounge, and functions in two rooms on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Check the room before accepting it. They vary enormously.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela L
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My family recently organised a surprise birthday party for me in the Barn Hotel. THe hotel is absolutely lovely, the food was amazing and the staff the best I have ever encountered. Nothing was too much trouble. I can highly recommend the food, venue and the brilliant staff.

Kathy McLoughlin

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We arrived late on the first night of a 2 night stay so unfortunately our twin room was the last one available so they had to accommodate us in a very small room, however the manager John went out of his way to compensate for this by ensuring we had complimentary drinks and ensuring we were well looked after. John asked us to pack our belongings and leave them in the room the following morning and he would upgrade us. On our return from the match he was there to greet us and escort us to our room, The Shanghai Suite. I can't fault the hotel in any area, Its great value for money, food is excellent, ideal location for Wembley in particular, but only 20 minutes into the City. The staff are very friendly and quietly efficient. All of this is testament to the excellent leadership, and passion to provide a good value for money experience to their guests, but particular praise must go to John, a top manager, why aren't there more like him!

Room Tip: Ask for the Shanghai Suite or something similar-most rooms are themed
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My work colleagues and I have used the Barn Hotel on many occasions and have never been disappointed. Last week one of us had a 'special birthday' and a group of us organised a surprise afternoon tea for her. We booked the Mary Rose room, a charming upstairs room oozing with history and character. The manager was as usual, very accommodating and allowed access to decorate the room in advance.Our group of about 20 enjoyed an indulgent and delicious afternoon tea with cheerful,attentive service.and endless pots of tea and coffee. We were allowed to linger in the room for as long as we wanted and when we finally went down to the lounge area,the service there too was excellent. Thank you all for a lovely afternoon. I would most definitely recommend the Barn Hotel for special occasions as it is a very special place..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Catherine V, Manager at The Barn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review, we really appreciate your positive comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Barn Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The best part of this hotel is its location. Round the corner from tube line was very handy for my recent trip to Wembley. Booked 3 twin rooms using an online booking company and at a cost of c.£100 per room incl breakfast I didn't think was particularly cheap. On arrival was lucky to find 1 parking space left, as unfortunately some idiot had parked in the access lane to the rear car park completely blocking off the rear areas. The hotel needs to sort this as it may put off people if they can't get a space in the hotel. Check in was fairly straight forward paying for the room and breakfast upfront, which always makes me nervous as it seems to prevent some come backs. When we got to rooms we were so disappointed, 3 rooms in the old building 41,41,42. These rooms were very very small, the access hallway was only just wide enough to walk down. Good job we never met anyone coming the other way we would have had to turn sideways!! The single beds were very narrow in fact I didn't know they made beds so narrow about 2 foot wide, in my opinion these were single rooms with 2 beds in! The bathroom although well equipped were tiny about 1 sq foot of floor space in which you have to spin round to use the sink, toilet and shower all without moving. Bathroom was clean and tidy with all the usual condiments but the shower was a trickle of luke warm water. Down in the main hotel there was some traditional quaintness which had a good feel and the residents bar was friendly enough for an evening drink with family. The night sleep was a joke and only managed a few hours, with a droning boiler or something going all night creaky floor boards which you could hear every footstep outside the room, paper thin walls where when residents started to rise from 5am onwards became so noisy it was almost impossible to sleep. I urge the management to sleep in one of those rooms to see what sleep they get with the various noises. Then next morning the breakfast was the biggest dissapoinment, at £11 each on top of the room was expecting a certain standard, however arriving at 9.30 to a que of people who couldn't even get into the breakfast room! Room for about 30 covers meant the remaining guests had no table or even anyone from the hotel explaining what was going on. Nobody to greet you or anything. After waiting for 15 minutes we took things into our own hands (as did other guests) and decided to crash out in the bar and grabbed our own cutlery and sorted ourselves out on a coffee table. With no glasses for the OJ, no tea or coffee offered or toast, we managed to get some fry up from the self service buffet (which was served to you!!) on a plate the size of a side plate! Cramming the hard crusty bacon, the stodgy baked beans and poached mushrooms was a start until the bacon ran out and the staff refused to replenish. We spent £44 on two side plates of dried up fry up no tea toast or coffee, and one of the kids had cereal and the other had a yogurt!!! All between 4 of us. The other guests who camped out in the bar for breakfast looked equally disappointed. When we handed the keys back for check out we weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay or anything, perhaps the girl on reception knew what we were going to say!! All in all not a good experience we booked this to avoid the repetitiveness of one of the normal chain travel hotels, to try to get a friendlier service, what a shame we will have to go to the predictableness of the chains to get some sort of consistency. For £100 a night this really was not good value for money. Handy for the tube but that's it. Don't bother.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank niall1

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I would like to apologise for the disappointing stay you and your family experienced with us. We always try to offer the best customer service we can for each and every guest but unfortunately this didnt seem to happen on this occassion. I will look into the issues you encountered and will address each one. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've stayed here twice now. Once in the Presidential suite which was very nice looking room with a living room and two bedrooms and an en-suite to die for. However, the en-suite, although with very nice touches, was not put together well and not all features worked properly. Stayed this last time in another less impressive room that was still very nice and comfortable with, although an en-suite that was not as exclusive as the Presidential, was much nicer and more functional. Bed was extremely comfortable. Short walk to the metro and ride to downtown London. Really enjoyed the stay and look forward to staying again. I really do like this place, even with the quirks in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Room 301 is an Asian themed room at this awesome. Rm 316 is the Presidential that is great for a fa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruislip
Premier Inn London Ruislip Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 5 in Uxbridge
Premier Inn London Harrow Hotel

Been to The Barn Hotel? Share your experiences!