“Great food but confusing tapas offer”
Review of Twin Boys Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Twin Boys Thai Restaurant
Price range: US$12 - US$33
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I went last night with a friend. We decided to try the tapas menu. We attempted to order a couple of soups to start with but got told we had to order everything at once (which living in Spain isn't tapas!). We had no idea of dish sizes and after confirming that there was a over charge of £5 for uneaten food we ordered most of the menu to try. However the staff seemed very upset by this request and had to move my friend and I to another table. This table was big enough either and we end up with food dishes on seats! The waiter then changed his mind and said he'd charge us £5 per dish not eaten. The food went cold quickly as we ate it over a couple of hours - no hot plates were offered. It's a shame the system can't be fixed as the food was excellent. I eat in a chinese that offers a tapas menu but they spell it out clearly such as you order a soup each, then upto 5 dishes from the starters menu and upto 4 per table from the mains plus rice. After finishing a course only then can you order more dishes. You can't go back after going onto another dish.
In the end the waiter charged us £5 between us for a couple of dishes left as I think he wanted to go home!

Tony D, Owner at Twin Boys Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thanks for your comments and we're pleased you enjoyed your food. Thai Tapas is a new concept for us and we obviously haven't got it quite right yet. Your feedback will help us to get it right so thanks again

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Living in Ruislip we go here quite often, the service can be hit and miss, but the staff are really friendly, since being taken over the quality of the food is better and more importantly the portions are bigger. Do not be put off by the negative reviews.

Tony D, Owner at Twin Boys Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for your support. It is much appreciated. We are working hard to keep improving so please keep visiting :)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Was taken to Twin boys as a surprise by my boyfriend for a romantic night on Valentines.
I had to hide my shock when we arrived, as I had been here 2 years ago with my work.
It was bad then with very small portions and a bit to pricey.

There seemed more tables than I remember but I guess they were trying to get as many people in as they could.
Very disorganised, as we looked on to the the couple in the next table who were experiencing very bad service. I was embarrassed for them.

The 3 waiters, tried hard but no manager in-sight except for an older Thai lady putting her head out the kitchen from time to time, her shane was clear on her face but happy to be making a killing.

No romance, no effort to make this night special, just a quick buck.

The food was as poor as it gets, the portions were small 2 years ago and I think are getting smaller.
I have read other reviews here and this seems to be a regular complaint, with excuses of the Kitchen is to blame or our portions are normally generous.
Honestly as aThai national living in the UK for the past 7 years, it most be the worst Thai in town.
Very tasteless food, presented well does not make good food.

The manager? has kindly commented on all the reviews, was that his night off? I don't think so, it is a title only and the rest is run by people not caring for customers.

We did not complain as I was glad to be leaving, I nearly burst out laughing when the lady on the table in front of me said, when the waiter enquired about her meal. She had said that the dish wasn't very filling, He said "did you try a starter". He should run for Parliament.

As for the positive reviews, OMG get out and about, there is a lack of Good Thai in Ruislip, Twin Boys is far from good. Save yourself from disappointment and eat elsewhere.
Never ever again

2  Thank LuluTeofilo
Tony D, Owner at Twin Boys Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

We're sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit on Friday. We acknowledge that there was some level of disorganisation on Valentines night for which we sincerely apologise. We are looking to learn from our mistakes so we improve next time it's extremely busy. It was infact one our busiest ever nights which I would like to think is due to the numerous improvements and enhancements we've made over the last year. However, it does make it difficult to give everyone the individual attention we normally would.

Whilst we welcome all feedback, i must take issue with some points you make. We are a local restaurant reliant on regular custom from a limited catchment area. If we treated our customers with the contempt you suggest we wouldn't have been open for 8 years. To suggest we were just interested in "making a killing" is both an insult to me and our staff. It would also be a pretty poor business model as we're open 52 weeks a year not just one night. No additional tables were added for the night. We are a 40 seat restaurant and always have been. The usual 20 tables were in place on Valentines night. Both our manager and my co-owner were working Valentines night and were available should you have required them. As we're just a small business with limited resources they were both working hard in the front of the restaurant so perhaps you mistook them for waiting staff? I hope this clarifies these issues for you.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Went as 2 couples for valentines and we booked 1 week prior. Because being valentines they had 2 sittings, we arrived for the 2nd and last siting 20.45 on time.
Had to wait for a table, as people were still there from earlier sitting and, some were still eating their meals. Either they were very late arriving or had got there early? Totally disorganised, waiter began blaming people coming in for takeaway or waiting for their bill.
Eventually a table was prepared.
After 15 minutes we asked the waiter for a menu, he happily went and got 1 menu and handed it to my wife, while the other 3 of us looked on.
The gentleman on the table next to us kindly passed his wine menu to us.
10-15 later the waiter asked us for our order, I suggested to him, if we had a menu we could maybe choose some food. He quickly brought 1 more menu, we shared it.
As we had been waiting for some time we quickly ordered an shared platter of mixed starters, while we would look at the menu, the waiter did not want to take our order and preferred to take our full order, when we would be ready. I pointed out a few of our disappointments so far and he decided he could order some starters for us.

The rest of the evening past without incident and we had the meals that we ordered.
Portions were very small, and in my Thai green curry, I found 4 small pieces of chicken, the sauce was no thicker than water, and it looked like I had left a bowl of soup.

We asked for the bill, waiter kindly enquired, did we enjoy our meal. My wife said the portions are very small and we are still hungry, waiter quickly asked us would we like desert? my wife said, you keep the portions small so as to get customers to buy a desert? He said, Oh no.

No further conversation took place.

In their defence, it was valentines night, so we expected it to be busy, it is a small venue and I understand why they opted for 2 sittings. If they had followed their plan then maybe it would have been a better experience for the customers.
However the food portions were ridiculously small and of very poor quality.
Over priced, over rated, and one to be missed.

2  Thank Banjaxed64
Tony D, Manager at Twin Boys Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Valentines night is obviously a special night and we regret that you didn't have an experience befitting of the occassion. We also apologise for the small portions and I can only think that this was the result of pressure in the kitchen as our portions are usually fairly generous, However we note your comments and we need to ensure that in future we maintain our usual high standard even at the busiest of times. Without wishing to be be disrepectful in any way to your valid complaint, may I suggest that you could try our eat as much as you like Thai tapas (available Sunday to Thursday)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We decided to have an early Valentines meal ( couldn't get babysitters on the 14th ) , and had seen their new Tapas Menu online , so decided to try this .
There are a choice of 25 dishes that you can order and get a taster of each . I love tapas so this was perfect for us . The food was lovely , the only 3 things i would point out is that there was 2 of us and the starter type tapas came in 3 pieces ( i.e 3 tempura prawns/fish cakes ) , I think that these should be 4 . Everything had to be brought out at once , so , while we were eating what we would normally have as a starter , rice and main were sitting there and by the time we got round to them , they were lukewarm .Lastly the food isn't as spicy as I thought it should be ( for Thai ), even with the dipping sauces . Maybe next time we could ask them to add a bit more spice .

The restaurant décor was lovely and even though its not too big , you don't feel like you are sitting right next to another table .

I was surprised that the Tapas menu isn't advertised anywhere in the restaurant or was even offered to us when we were seated ,( I had to ask for it) .But for £15 a head ,it is perfect for anyone wanting to try lots of different dishes ( you can order as much /as many times as you want ).

I would definitely visit again , but maybe spice it up a bit .

Tony D, Owner at Twin Boys Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your meal. The Thai Tapas is a new concept for us so we're still tweaking it a bit and will take your suggestions on board. We think it's a great idea which means you can experiment and try different dishes so we're glad you think the same thing. We look forward to seeing you again,